You're My Favorite Song

005

Growing up I believed I was the only strange one in school. I was under the impression that I was the only child who had a passion for music. It didn't help that my one and only friend never tried to help me realize that more people were like me, she was to busy socializing with boys. I can't help but wonder if my life would have been different had I met Jake a couple years sooner. I don't dwell on that thought much, I have to make up for lost time.

It was Saturday afternoon, Ryan and I were sprawled out on the floor watching movies and stuffing our faces with food. Ryan was keeping me preoccupied until Jake came to pick me up. Tonight he was taking me to see his band, The Monsters Inside, rehearse. Apparently he wanted the guys to meet me and some of his other friends. Ryan's goal was to try and keep me from having a panic attack, she's such a good younger sister. To say I was nervous would be an understatement; I mean aside from concerts this was my first ever social outing, I mean unless you count the times I've helped stalk Steph's boy toys.

I had made sure to get ready before we started movies so I wouldn't have to cut into my sister time. I'm definitely not one to dress to impress so I decided on a pair of skinny jeans and a concert shirt I had acquired from my dad. Today my hand read 'take a breath and let the rest come easy.'

I was extremely surprised my parents were letting me go out. They're not over protective but then again I never really get invited to things. My mom knows that his name is Jake and that he's in a band but that's about it. If I know anything about her I'm sure she'll want to meet him after tonight.

Around five thirty the door bell rang. Now most girls would go running to open the door, me on the other hand dreaded getting up from where I was lying.

"Don't you want to answer that?" Ry questioned.

I groaned, "I suppose even though I'm really comfortable." I pulled myself up from the floor and walked over to the door. I opened the door without even looking at my reflection in the mirror to my right.

"Hey," Jake chuckled, "Did I interrupt something?"

This time I looked in the mirror to find I had food all over my shirt. "Maybe just a little," I laughed. "You can come in if you want, I'll just be a second." He followed me into the house and watched as I helped Ryan pick up our mess and clean myself off. My mother was upstairs in her room so I ran up to say goodbye. She warned me to be careful and be back my eleven.

***

"Where exactly are we going?" I asked, not that I really cared. Jake could take me to some stupid college fair and I would still be happy. Great now I sound like every other teenage girl my age.

"Since my mom works nights she let's us practice in her garage. All of us live in apartments so I doubt our neighbors would appreciate the sound." We laughed. "I think you'll like everyone and if not well we can figure something out."

We pulled up to an old vintage style house, also known as my perfect house. I'm pretty sure I was drooling. Everyone was there when we arrived so we all walked into the house and to the garage. It wasn't a long walk but the hallway we did walk through had pictures of Jake and his mom and friends everywhere, it was adorable. Once we reached the garage everyone started talking and I stood awkwardly to the side. Jake pulled me in to break the awkwardness.

"So let's see everyone this is Hazel." I was greeted with a chorus of hey's. "And Hazel this is our lead singer Cameron and his girlfriend Valerie. That's our drummer Trevor and his girlfriend Melody. And that's our bass player Mike with his 'best friend' Samantha."

After greeting everyone the boys started playing and I took a seat on the couch next to the other ladies. Lucky for me they liked to talk so it wasn't that awkward.

"So you're the girl we keep hearing about," Valerie stated. "Weren't you at the show at the House of Blues?"

"Yea I was with my sister. You and Cameron are really cute, sorry if that sounds creepy I just saw him watching you at that show."

"A girl who pays attention to detail I like that," Samantha added.

"It's nice to see a new girl around here, usually we're the only ones. Jake doesn't really bring people around us or ever to a practice. You should feel special," Melody smiles.

While the boys practiced the girls and I talked about all types of things. They asked me where I go to school and how I met Jake. They laughed when I told them I thought he was rude at first. Overall they were really cool people. I felt closer to them than I did with Steph probably because we had things in common. I learned that Mike and Melody were related and that Samantha was the best friend and 'secret' girlfriend of Mike. They told me that they each dabble with an instrument but only because the boys like to teach them.

After about an hour and a half of music and small talk the boys decided to order pizza. Everyone sat around eating and talking. Being the new girl most of the conversations was directed at me. I think I was getting use to the attention, in fact I kind of liked people acknowledging my existence.

"So Hazel how much did little Jake pay you to come over here tonight?" Cameron asked sending everyone into a fit of laughter.

"Yeah! He never brings people around us! What the deal Jake?" Trevor added.

"I just thought you'd guys would think she was cool that's all," Jake responded without a second of hesitation.

"Nice save," Valerie stated sending me to chuckle and blush slightly.

At around nine everyone started heading out, leaving Jake and I alone his his mother's basement. It wasn't as awkward as I expected. I helped him clean up the mess we made and we found ourselves talking while putting away the dishes.

"Did you have fun?"

"Tons. I wish I had friends like that growing up."

"I told you! I'm sure they'd love for you to come over again."

"I sure would love too." I stated innocently.

"Well my moms going to be home soon so we should leave. It's still early you wanna stop by my house for a few?"

He didn't just invite me to his house. This isn't the type of things my mother warned me about. And I surely did not take him up on the offer. "Yeah sure I'd love to."

About ten minutes later I found myself in his apartment. This wasn't just any apartment though it was small but perfect, it had a perfect view of the LA Skyline. This apartment was the apartment I spent the first seven years of my life. When we got there I ran straight for the window seat and sat there with my hands on the window glass.

"Its not much but it works for me. It had been vacant since forever and when I turned eighteen I had saved enough for it. I love the view."

"That was my favorite part too," I thought out loud.

"Wait, it was your favorite?" Jake was now sitting next to me giving me a confused look.

"This is the apartment my mom and I lived in until she got remarried."

"Woah! Small world."

"No kidding." It was so weird being in this apartment again. It was almost like right then and there I knew Jake was someone I was suppose to meet. I felt connected to him in a way I only felt with my family. Like the stars had aliened and my life made sense.

Even weirder was the fact that while both of were sitting on the window seat a shooting star went by. "Make a wish," Jake mumbled. Now I don't believe in magic but something in that moment led me to believe that this wasn't normal. I was speechless. Nothing in that moment could have been more perfect, until what happened next. When the star passed Jake looked at me in a way no one has ever looked at me.

If my curfew hadn't have been fast approaching I would have stayed in the moment forever but I had to go back. We held hands the entire five minute drive back to my house and before I got out of the car and he hugged my tightly.

I walked into my house with a perfect smile etched on my face. My mom was sitting on the couch clearly waiting for me to get home.

"Hazel Lyric, my what a beautiful smile that it," My mom teased, smile on her face. I looked away shyly not giving her the satisfaction.

"Mom." I whined.