You're My Favorite Song

006

Most girls growing up dream about their first kiss, first boyfriend and so forth. I was never like that, my dreams consisted of living on a small bus traveling the world on four hours of sleep. To this day that was still my dream, but Jake gave life to the innocent young girl hidden deep within. After saturday night my whole mentality changed. Growing up I never wanted a boyfriend or even someone that I felt close to, to me that meant a harder goodbye when the time came for me to leave. Things were changing though, and Jake was making me rethink everything I had thought.

When I got home last night my mom began to interrogate me asking all kinds of questions about Jake, I answered almost all of them. My dad then joined the conversation where him and my mom decided that they needed to meet Jake. I agreed thinking it was a reasonable request, that was the easy part. My dad called later that night and my mom didn't give me time to answer. At the point I realized that she was telling my dad that his little girl was spending time with a musician. I always loved talking to my dad but I was dreading this conversation, partially because it had never happened before and he was a pretty protective guy.

The conversation with my dad went better than expected. He said that he was happy if I was happy and that he knew I wouldn't do anything stupid. I think my dad always knew that, when the time came I would end up with someone in the music industry, it was in my blood.

What entertained me the most was that I wasn't even dating Jake, I'd only been out with him twice and neither of them had been dates per say. I was so afraid of what Jake would say when I told him my family wanted to meet him, luckily he was keen on the idea. He said his mom would probably want to meet me later on too. I warned him that my family was going to be crazy but he didn't care. As much as my dad wanted to meet Jake he was still on tour, however he wanted us to Skype him for a few minutes when we had time. I was disappointed or anything, my dad had a job to do.

The week leading up to the dinner was usual. School was as shitty as ever and it didn't look like that would be changing anytime soon. I was still counting down the days to graduation, it wasn't coming fast enough. I hadn't been out with Jake since he was coming over tonight, but I had talked to him everyday. Apparently The Monster Inside was getting the attention of a few record labels. He didn't have to tell me twice that this was great news.

Jake was scheduled to come over at six, and he was bringing his mom. We figured why not meet both parents in one day, I was a nervous reck, no one had ever met my parents and I've never met anyone's parents before. Jake told me to be cool but I couldn't help it. Thankfully my mom wasn't making a huge deal about it. We were just having a causal dinner nothing fancy. Ryan was excited to see Jake again too, which helped knowing at least someone liked him.

Soon the doorbell rang and there stupid Jake and his mother. I could feel my anxiety building but I tried to remain calm.

"Hey Hazel, this is my mom Carla," Jake introduced us as they walked inside. "Hello," I greeted.

Once inside I introduced everyone to my family. My parents continued to talk to Carla while Jake, Ryan and I got situated on the couch.

"You know you should probably breathe," Jake teased. Ryan chuckled and I just rolled my eyes.

"Oh by the way, we have to talk to my dad over Skype later so you've been warned," Jake just shook his head and smiled. I had no idea how he was being so calm.

A half an hour later dinner was ready. My family took they're normal seats, while Jake and his mom sat next to each other, across from me. His mom seemed to be having a wonderful time and I could tell Jake was happy.

"So Jake how's life?" My dad asked. I groaned this was going to be more awkward than I thought.

"Life is very well. My job is doing well, my mom is happy, my band is beginning to get recognized, and I'm with all of you lovely people," He smiled. Damn boys got communication skills.

"What label are we talking about?" My dad questioned, clearly seeing if it was the one he currently worked for. It turns out it was which sent them into a wonderful conversation about what signing would mean.

It was Carla's turn to ask me questions since her son was engrossed in a conversation. "So Hazel what do you plan on doing after graduation?"

Well fuck, the one question that would make me seem pathetic here goes nothing. "Well actually, my dad is in the music industry he a tour manager, so I hope to go help him. I'd love to do what he does."

"That sounds wonderful. Jake has always had a passion for music and it seems like you do too." I nodded my head and she smiled. So maybe this whole meeting the parents thing wasn't that big of a deal.

After dinner Carla helped my mom clean up the kitchen, ignoring my mother's protests. My dad said I should go see if my dad was online, he let Jake, Ryan and I go up to my room, an action that shocked me. I led Jake up into my room and toward my desk where my computer sat. He sat in my office chair while I sat next to him, Ryan took a seat on the couch.

I signed on to my computer and sure enough my dad was online. Clicking on his icon I called him in. "Hey daddy!" I said. My dad appeared to be backstage at the venue he was at tonight, I had no idea where that was. Although it had to be on the west coast meaning we were in the same time zone, for once. "Hey Hazel, hey miss Ryan and hello boy who must be Jake," My dad said smiling.

"What goes on dad?" I asked. "Nothing just getting ready for the show tonight. So what's up with you guys, how did you like the family Jake?"

"It's a lovely family," Jake said.

"I like to think so too. From what I know about you Jake you seem like a cool guy, I'll find out later from Hazel's mom. I wish you luck on your musical ventures, it takes a whole lot of guts to get to where you want to be."

"Matt we need you!" Someone yelled from the other end.

"Bye dad." With that I signed off the computer. The three of us walked back downstairs. Our parents were engrossed in another conversation. When we got down Ryan ran to the television because her show was going to begin. Hoping for some alone time I pulled Jake out to my backyard, partly because I wanted to talk to him and partly because I needed to breathe.

"So what do you think?" I asked. "About your family? I love them, all of them. Both your dad's seem so cool, especially cause they're into music. Its hard to find someone to talk to about what's going on in music since my mom doesn't really know much. Did you like my mom?"

"You're mom is amazing. She's the first adult I've met who doesn't criticize my decision of not going to college."

We both stood there staring off into space, a slight awkward silence filing the emptiness. So many thoughts were going through my mind but I was trying not to think about them. Having a panic attack would not be a good way to end the night. We both turned to each other, ready to speak, at the same time.

"You first," Jake insisted.

I chuckled. "I just wanted to warn you that I've never had to do anything like this. I mean I've never really had someone over or um say they like me or anything." Shit that sounded so awkward.

Jake smirked like he did the first times I saw him. "Yeah I figured that but hey that's okay. I like you a lot Hazel."

The butterflies erupted in my stomach. They were worse than the night we kissed which I didn't understand. "I like you too Jake, but beware I might do something awkward or stupid and ruin whatever this is," I said swinging my arms crazily. Jake grabbed my arms and looked into my eyes, and I mean really looked into my eyes. I felt like he was looking into my soul, that every secret and story I had was being read, thankfully that wasn't true. "But that's why I like you silly." This time we walked back into the house holding hands, knowing that our parents wouldn't mind.

Jake and his mom left shortly after leaving my alone with my family and their opinions. "Well Hazel, I think you did well," my dad said and Ryan nodded.

"I agree. He cares about you, I see it in the way he looks at you." My mom smiled. I finally understood why my mom had been giving me weird looks every time I got home from seeing Jake. We reminded her of her and my dad. I mean we both love music and had the same dreams, just like her. We were like the parallel to my parents.

"Mom, do we remind you of-" She nodded her head cutting me off. She quickly changed the subject even though I'm pretty sure both my dad and Ryan caught on to what we were saying."What did your dad say?"

"Just the same things you did." With that I went to bed.

Lying in bed that night I thought of anything and everything. From my dreams to what I thought about Jake. The thing that scared me the most was that we were the parallel of my parents. It scared me because of what things happened to them. I knew we were different and nothing was official but the thoughts were still there.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love love love this chapter. Keep reading and commenting lovelies. :)