He Shoots, She Scores

Meeting the (Not So) Perfect Man

As Carrie looked at her parents in disbelief she could feel anger bubbling, an arranged marriage? Her parents had to be kidding! The look on their faces confirmed her fear that they were serious.
“I can’t believe you guys! Why would you do this to me?” Her mother gave her a sympathetic smile.
“Carrie honey we were just trying to help..”
“I don’t feel very helped or happy just so you know”
Carrie got up quickly and headed to her room slamming the door behind her. She flopped down on her bed dramatically with a sigh. For a moment she contemplated if this would be enough to have her parents tested for insanity, just to ensure they were in their right minds. Carrie was confused as to why her parents would arrange a marriage for her when her two older sisters were married and found their husbands on their own so why she was the “lucky” one was beyond her.
Maybe it was because her father wasn’t exactly all that fond of her brother-in-laws, or maybe because as of today Carrie is 20 and has still not been on a date either way she was feeling much like a 2 year old right now and wanted to throw a tantrum and say ‘no’ a million times. Carrie prided herself on being the smart one out of her sisters spending more time with her books than anyone or anything else, and on top of that Carrie was the tom boy of the sisters always one of the guys rather than the girl guys chased and until today she was ok with that. She let another sigh escape, at least she was going to be meeting her “fiancé” at a Buffalo Sabres hockey game, which was her favorite team and they were playing her other favorite the Pittsburg Penguins.
Groaning in reluctance she got off her bed and headed to take a shower taking the time to straighten her hair and applying blue eyeliner and gold eye shadow to her eye lid. She stepped out of the bathroom and into her closet grabbing her favorite light wash jeans and her Nate Gerbe jersey which was her favorite piece of Sabres gear she had and her favorite player. She walked down the stairs to see her dad with a smirk on his face
“That’s my girl making the best of the situation” he says grabbing his coat
“If I’m going to be meeting my future husband tonight he should know exactly what he’s dealing with”
She grabbed her purse as her mother grabbed a jacket, it was February in Buffalo, New York it was fairly cold out and Carrie thought she should grab a coat but she hated putting a coat over the wide sleeves of a jersey so she decided against it.
“Ya know guys I can really handle a trip the First Niagara Center by myself right? I mean come on mom you hate hockey”
“Well I’m not turning down free hockey tickets especially box seats” her dad says and Carrie shook her head at him
“And I may not like hockey but I like my future son-in-law and would like to see him again” her mother says and Carrie nods opening the door and walking out to get into her mother’s truck.
Carrie’s eyes lit up as they entered the private box seats, which until now was a seat Carrie had never sat in. She was captivated by the swirl of hockey players practicing on the ice she sank happily into her seat scanning the ice for one certain blue jersey when her eyes landed on the 42 she smiled.
“Well “prince charming” obviously makes good money to have afforded seats like this” Carrie says her eyes constantly following that 42.
“I suppose you could say that” her dad said sitting next to her and her mother next to him.
“So when do I get to meet Mr. “prince charming” Carrie asks her eyes now following the Penguins players knowing she wouldn’t see the 87 of Sidney Crosby slightly saddened her but gave her more hope for a Sabres win.
“Don’t worry about that, he’ll be here just enjoy yourself” her dad says and Carrie nods.
As the Sabres players begin to leave the ice Carrie lets her eyes search the ice one more time for Nate Gerbe the 42 catching her eye quickly she sighed happily as he gracefully makes his way to the dressing room to get ready for the game. She lets her eyes go back to the penguins players as the last few guys take their practice shots at goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, she smiles as he stops each shot effortlessly. There was no way she could deny her love for that team but her Sabres she loved them more. Once they left the ice Carrie watched the zamboni come around clearing the ice for the players and then retreat back down the hall, she could feel her excitement rise as the arena was filled with noise as music as the Sabres exited the dressing room and came out onto the ice. Ryan Miller the Sabres goalie skated over to his goal and began to do the ritualistic scraping of the nice fresh ice that the goalies do making harder for pucks to move in the crease and easier for the goalie to stay in one spot. The penguins entered from the dressing room the fans in the arena booing them and Fleury skated over to his goal mimicking what Miller had just done.
After the anthems were done and the announcer had said his piece the linesman moved to center ice to drop the puck between Paul Gaustad of the Sabres and Evgeni Malkin of the penguins. Carrie watched captivated as the puck and players moved with no issue from one end of the ice to the other, and the quick line changes. The sound of 2 players slamming into the boards caught Carrie off guard even though she was watching as the moved towards it.
She felt her breath catch in her throat as Jason Pominville got the puck on his stick and moved it out of the Sabres zone, crossing into the Penguins zone he passed the puck to his line mate Thomas Vanek. Carrie was on the edge of her seat as Vanek pushed in closer to the net, Fleury was squared right up to him though forcing Vanek to pass the puck back to defensemen Tyler Myers. This move forced Fleury to change his position Myers took this opportunity to quickly slide the puck to Ville Leino who was waiting for the pass he then pops the puck over Fleury’s shoulder sending the crowd into an uproar as the Sabres take the early lead.
The game was flying by, it was now just a few minutes before the 3rd and final period and Carrie was just returning with a bag from the Sabres store. In it was a new Sabres hoodie a Bandits lacrosse hoodie and a player puck of Tyler Ennis for her best friend. Carried turns to her dad with a smirk on her face
“Well daddy I guess “prince charming” isn’t coming”
“He’ll be here” her dad says ignoring his daughters’ sarcastic snort.
It seemed like no time at all before 17 minutes had passed leaving only 3 minutes left in the game and with the Sabres up by a goal Patrick Kaleta took what could only be described as a retarded tripping penalty. This left the Sabres one man short for 2 minutes. Carrie was on the edge of her seat watching the quick passing of the Penguins players as they moved in around Miller she let her eyes gaze up at the time left on the penalty and hoped they could hold out for just a little longer. As soon as Kaleta’s skates hit the ice Carrie grabbed for her purse. It was something her father and her were known for, leaving with a minute left and beating the traffic. Without moving her eyes from the action she said to her dad
“I’m ready when you are”
“No don’t worry we’ll stay”
“Dad give it up he’s not coming, you got stood up by your “perfect” son-in-law to be lets go home. I’ll write a thank you card” her dad shakes his head and she groans in irritation at him.
She sits back down in her seat watching the crowd of people file out and the players leave the ice then she watches the zamboni make its slow rounds resurfacing the ice. She sits quietly for a while before sending a pleading look to her father
“Dad it’s been 10 minutes please can we go?”
“Not just yet”
With irritation definite in her appearance Carrie curls her feet up under her and pulls out her phone texting her best friend Lacey. They talk first about the game and how excited they both are for the win, they then switch topics to going to a movie the next weekend and then finally Carrie spills her agitation out to her friend about being stood up and her parents just not letting it go. Looking at the time on her phone Carrie decides this time to appeal to her mother who is somewhere behind her
“Mom, will you please talk to your husband!? He is not going to show can we please go home it’s been an half an hour!”
“I suppose I could take you home if that’s what you really want”
Carrie was about to jump for joy before she realized that she knew that voice but it was not her fathers. Her eyes widened in realization as she turned around.
“I am so sorry! I was so not yelling at you!” her face turns red with embarrassment and he just chuckles
“No problem I take it you are Carrie” she just nods unable to speak “I’m Nate….”
“Trust me I know who you are”
She says turning around to show him the back of her jersey a small laugh escaping as he notices his number and name proudly displayed on her back. Carrie turns back around to see a huge smile planted on his face.
“Well I apologize for taking so long I had to do a post game interview, and then I talked with your parents for a minute. Your mom mentioned you weren’t too happy with me and that “prince charming” air quotes and all kept coming out of your mouth”
Carrie blushed heavily “Well had my parents said I was meeting a hockey player tonight I would have been much more understanding”
“Well if you want I will take you home since you have been sitting around an arena all night. Or we could go to the after party and you could meet some of the guys”
“Aren’t those 21 and up? You know today is my 20th birthday right?”
“Aren’t you going with a hockey player? And yes I know it’s your birthday, happy birthday by the way”
She lets out a laugh which causes him to smile “You sir make a valid point, let’s go, and thank you”
Carrie turns to grab her purse and bag from the Sabres store off her seat and then they head out of the box seats and out of the arena to Nate’s car. The smile that seemed permanently etched onto her face grew even more when Nate reached to open the car door for her.
“Wait, before we go anywhere I have to ask, will you sign my jersey?”
He laughed at her question before realizing she was serious “Isn’t that kind of weird? I mean I’m your fiancé and you want me to sign your jersey?” she shrugged
“I’m a fan first, and it would be awesome to go home with a signed jersey” He nods his head and grabs a marker to sign her jersey.
“You’re lucky I think you’re cute” he whispers in her ear and it sends a chill down her spine.
“Not fair you know you’re my favorite” she says faking a pout. He wraps his arms around her waist from behind “I speculated that but thank you for the confirmation”
They stay like that for just a moment before Nate’s phone starts to ring he backs up answering it and talking to the person for less than a minute before hanging up
“That was Pat, uh Patrick… Kaleta, he uh wears number 36. For the Sabres” Nate says looking at her waiting for a bit of recognition to cross her face, instead he sees irritation
“Ya know I said you were my favorite, I didn’t say you were the only hockey player I knew”
She turns in a huff and sits in his car closing the door. Nate lets out a sigh, it took him a whole 5 minutes to screw up, lovely, getting in the car he starts it before taking a side glance at Carrie
“Carrie I’m sorry that was stupid of me”
“Yeah it was”
“Don’t be mad”
“I’m not mad”
“I have 2 sisters Carrie not mad means beyond pissed. I said I was sorry”
“Drop it Nate, just drop it. You’re sisters should have taught you that too”
Nate opened his mouth to say something else before deciding that she was right and he should probably drop it.
“Do you want me to take you home?”
“No I want to meet other hockey players; it will be a good experience for me. Maybe I’ll even find a new favorite that doesn’t assume I’m an idiot!”
“I didn’t say you were an idiot Carrie!”
“You didn’t have to”
Nate lets out a frustrated sigh turning into the parking lot of where they were supposed to meet the other guys. He shut the car off and got out quickly Carrie was out of the car before he even made it to the other side. Walking in Carrie could spot Tyler Myers at the back, and then again how could anyone miss Myers’s 6’8” frame. They made their way back towards the group of about 10 Sabres stopping in front of the table everyone looked towards Nate and Carrie
“Guys this is Carrie, Carrie this is the guys” Nate motioned his hand across the table before sitting at an empty spot not bothering to introduce them any further.
“Rude much Gerbs? Hi I’m De..”
“Derek Roy center jersey number nine from Ontario”
Derek nodded looking between Carrie and Nate, Carrie had a pointed look on her face looking at Nate who seemed to be somewhat mortified by her knowledge.
“Me next!” Carrie snapped her attention to the voice in front of her and laughed
“Ok we’ll make a game out of this. Patrick Kaleta right wing, number 36 from the great state of New York and even a home town boy” Pat laughed before the next Sabre stood up. With each passing player Derek noticed Nate looking more and more mortified. The last player to stand up made Carrie roll her eyes
“Come on Mr. Captain everyone knows who you are Jason Pominville right wing from Quebec, number 29”
Derek moved over offering Carrie a seat which she accepted and they all started talking Derek couldn’t help but notice that Nate and Carrie were not on the best terms which was ok with him if Nate wasn’t going to flirt with the pretty girl at the table he was.
“Ok miss thing you know everything about me, but I don’t know a thing about you. Why don’t you fill me in?”
Carrie laughed at his cheesiness but nodded
“Carolyn Anderson, from Niagara Falls, hockey and lacrosse fan full time student, part time worker, full time fan”
“Impressive, I notice you have a Gerbe signature on that Gerbe jersey, but I see my signature is void”
“Are you offering?”
“If you want”
Carrie smiles and turns around as best as possible in the booth for Derek to sign her jersey.
After a few hours of Derek and Carrie shamelessly flirting Nate clears his throat. For whatever reason he can’t shake the attraction he has to her and the constant flirting has finally pushed him over the edge. Even though it was an early afternoon game and it really wasn’t late Nate looks at his team mate and then at Carrie.
“I should probably get you home Carrie, you know we all have practice kind of early tomorrow morning”
“Gerbs I can take her home”
“Not necessary Roysy I know where she lives I can do it”
Carrie gives Derek a half hearted smile before glaring at Nate
“Fine lets go”
Carrie got up from her spot next to Derek giving all the guys including Derek a hug before following Nate out of the building. It was silent for most of the ride to Carrie’s house before Nate spoke
“Don’t flirt with him Carrie”
He stole a sideways glance at her smiling at her phone and he could only assume she was texting Derek
“I’m sorry? Flirt with who?”
“Don’t play cute Carrie don’t flirt with Roysy”
“Oh wait I’m sorry I only know who you are, who is this Roysy?”
“Funny really funny, I almost want to laugh!”
“Don’t let me stop you”
“Carrie! Listen to me ok? I’m sorry I’ve said sorry about 5 times! But beyond that I am warning you for your own good do not flirt with Derek Roy!”
“Warning me for my own good? What are you my brother?”
“No I’m your fiancé, or did you forget that?”
“It’s something that can easily be forgotten. And let’s not forget Mr. you are not my fiancé by choice!”
He pulled to a stop in front of her house and before he could retaliate she was out the door and up the front steps. He got out of the car behind her following her into the house
“Oh good you guys are back!” Carrie’s mom greets at the door and Carrie rolls her eyes
“GO HOME!” she yells practically in his face and her father looks up from his spot at the dining room table
“Actually we wanted to talk to you guys but for some reason I have a feeling this is not good” her dad says and Carrie lets out a dry laugh
“You don’t even want to know the half of it”
As she turns to go up to her room her mother’s voice stops her
“Carolyn stop, turn around and get in here”
Carrie lets out an annoyed huff of air before entering the dining room and sitting down in her usual spot.
“This is probably not the best time to say this seeing as you two do not seem to be getting along very well” her mother starts and Carrie snorts
“That’s an understatement”
“Carolyn” her father warns and Carrie shuts her mouth tightly for her mother to continue
“Now we know you both have busy schedules so we decided that Carrie honey you will be moving into Nate’s apartment tomorrow”
Carrie’s jaw drops looking between her parents and then finally to Nate who seemed to have a happy smirk on his face
“You knew and didn’t say a word?!” she said to him
“You were having so much fun with Derek” he said and her father looked at her with raised eyebrows
“Derek Roy? Who is 8 years older than you? No I don’t think so Carolyn Michele you stay away from him”
“I suggest you go pack honey” her mother says and Carrie rolls her eyes
“This is the most absurd thing I have ever experienced. Happy birthday to me! I find out I’m engaged my dream turns out to be a total nightmare and now being friends with someone is a crime!” She pushes away from the table and heads up to her room to start packing seeing as her parents are just adding fuel to the fire and Carrie knows she won’t get out of this.
“Hey”
“Seriously? If this is the last night I don’t have to be in the same house with you I would rather you not be in the same house”
Carrie says as Nate enters her room. On one wall he sees random posters of different singers including Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, the Jonas Brothers and whoever Mitchel Musso is. He looks to the left to see a hockey wall with a Danny Briere plaque from his days as a Sabre, a player puck of himself and of Briere and a Sidney Crosby plaque.
“Let me just say one more thing and I’m out of your hair”
“Go for it” she says turning to face him and he can see the edges of a Fathead on her wall a smile playing at his lips as he catches the 42 on the side.
“All I wanted to tell you is that I haven’t met very many females that are friends with Derek Roy. He just doesn’t work that way, and I don’t want you getting hurt”
“Yeah well I’m not most females Nate; I’ll be fine I won’t get hurt”
“Yeah well I know you aren’t most females, but when it happens you’ll know where I am”
And with that he left her room and her house and she let out a frustrated sigh running her hand through her hair and calling her best friend. She had a lot to pack and one night to do it, and what was better than ranting to your best friend to make it go faster, absolutely nothing.