He Shoots, She Scores

.....May Come Sooner Than We Thought

With Lacey

As the ceremony came to a close and Nate and Carrie made their way down the aisle, Lacey slowly but surely made her way to the center aisle as she felt Tyler take her hand. As she brushed off the chills that were sent down her spine as a creepy crawly feeling instead she made her way down the aisle and out of the door. After hugging Carrie and Nate and congratulating them on making it through the ceremony, she made her way to the bathroom. Only to be stopped mid-path by Tyler. The look on his face she had seen before, it was his we need to talk and I won’t give up until it happens. Lacey gritted her teeth and she sent him a chilling look that even scared her deep down.

“Look Tyler I cannot do this right now, not today.”
Lacey looked to the ground as she made her way once again towards the bathroom. But Tyler was persistent and stepped in front of her.

“Lacey please just hear me out. I need to talk to you just this once.”

“What could you possible say to me right now? You have spent the past couple weeks with me exchanging glances but not saying one word, I think you have had your chance plenty of times. Right now I would like to just get through this night without thinking about us.”

“I know these past weeks haven’t been easy but you haven’t seemed too phased by it, you have been smiling and laughing and God knows who you’ve been texting all the time. Honestly I think you’ve been fine without me. I guess you have a new hockey player in your sights.”

“Wow you obviously have been seeing someone else because that doesn’t sound like me at all. I have only been happy in Carries presence because I know she’s more fragile than I am and for me to sulk around in front of her so wouldn’t help. I hope you learn to see past me smile and know what’s really going on in my head but don’t try too hard because I’ve apparently moved on. Now let me go so I can try and enjoy the rest of my night”
Lacey stormed past Tyler not giving him the time to stop her again. As she closed the bathroom door behind her she slid down to the floor and let the tears she’s been holding fall from her eyes, messing up her makeup but feeling so good to finally let it go. Everything had finally caught up with her and it was time to just let it out but it was Carries night and she needed her best friend so Lacey picked herself up and walked to the mirror. She looked as if she got caught in a rain storm, her makeup was absolutely trashed but she wiped her face and reapplied it while mentally prepping herself for the night ahead of her.
“Buck up Lacey, tonight is all about Carrie don’t even think about him you’re better than that. Even if you are talking to yourself.”
Lacey looked at herself in the mirror once last time and managed a smile; she then braced herself as she walked out of the bathroom

"There you are lace we've been looking for you the dj wants to introduce the wedding party"

"Sorry Carrie, I had to pee you know how much my bladder hates me”

"That's ok just go take your place"

Lacey looked up to see Tyler with his back to them and slowly walked up beside him. She didn't look at him but she could feel his eyes on her sending unwanted goose bumps up her arms.

"The people in the reception hall started to clap and that's when Lacey realized her name was called but she just stood in the same spot. Tyler grabbed her hand gentle and pulled her into the hall. The flash of cameras went off but Lacey was still in a daze. It wasn't until she took her seat at the head table that she was soon back in her own body.
That was when Nate and Carrie were announces and everyone got too their feet and cheered. If only they knew the whole story behind this wedding I'm sure they wouldn't be on their feet. But the look on Carrie and Nate’s faces made all the problems they were having seem to melt away. Lacey knew that even through all this Derek drama and the whole planned marriage that there was hope for these two they just didn't know it yet. If only they knew how lucky they were to have each other. Carrie and Nate took their seats in between Lacey and Tyler and waved to the crowd.

"Wow that was completely nerve wrecking" Carrie whispered as she took a sip from the wine that was poured for them.
"Really? Because you looked at complete ease, me on the other hand lost all motor capability I felt as if my brain just shut off” Lacey took a large swig of her wine and smiled at Carrie.
“Tonight is going to be one long night” Carrie and Lacey laughed together as they took another sip of wine.

Dinner was served and not to long after that Carrie and Nate were up at the cake table, with all their friends and family surrounding them as they cut the first piece. Nate smiled as he took a piece of cake off of the platter but as soon as he looked up at Carrie he knew that what he had in his mind would cause him to lose an arm. Lacey couldn’t help but laugh along with everyone else.

Once dessert was on the tables and the guests were settled Tyler stood and clinked his fork against his class, how cliché. Everyone turned their attention to him and for the first time all night Lacey actually looked at him, noticing that he had taken her advice and finally cut his hair. Then she thought about how he would run his hands through his hair when he was concentrating and just then he proved his predictability and ran his hair through his now short curly blonde hair.
Lacey was in a daze as he spoke about Nate and Carrie but no words were processing in her head all she could do was look at him. She came back to reality as he took his seat and she realized it was now her turn. As she stood she felt her legs shake a little, Lacey was never one to talk in front of a large crowd and deep down she was curled up in fetal position wanting this moment to be over. But as she looked over to her best friend she knew that she could do this, she just had to pretend they were the only ones there.

“Wow honestly where do I start, Carrie and I have been friends since our freshman year in high school, she’s not only my best friend she’s like a sister to me and I honestly don’t know what I would do without her. Whenever I had an issue she was always right there to help me out. I don’t think a day passes that I don’t talk to her and if it does happen it throws off my day. These past couple months have been hard and I have finally been able to help Carrie the way she helped me and I can see it paid off. I have never seen her so happy before and even though her and Nate have hit some rough patches the way they look at one another shows that they are meant to be together. The love that these two share is defiantly different but they make it work and I know there is only good to come for these two. But Nate, know this, Carrie is my best friend and I will do anything for her so you better not hurt her or you will have to deal with me. Good luck to the both of you I wish you only the best.”
Lacey raised her glass in congratulations and everyone follow suit. Lacey took her seat next to Carrie and gave her a tight hug.

“Thank you so much Lacey, and the whole meant to be thing was classic I’m sure my parents ate that one up” Lacey just smiled at Carrie and laughed at the fact that everything she just said was so true even though she wanted to kill Nate that very moment.

After everyone had finished their cake people started to move towards the dance floor and danced to the cheesy wedding music. Then came time for Nate and Carries first dance, Nate rose from the table and held his hand out which Carrie hesitated but took it knowing everyone was watching. As they made their way to the dance floor the music started to play and as Carrie heard the song playing a small smile came to her face as she heard Hunter Hayes voice singing her favorite song Wanted.

“Nate?”

“Yes Carrie”

“How did you know?”

“Know what?”

“Oh don’t play dumb with me Nate how did you know about this song?”

“Well Carrie even though you have been ignoring me I have been paying attention to you. You’re always listening to your IPod and I don’t think you realize how loud you sing. But I heard you sing this song over and over again and I just had to find out what it was. And well here we are now I just wanted you to smile for real at least once. Let’s face it this is a special moment why not enjoy it.”

Carrie and Nate swayed along with the song. Carrie rested her cheek against Nate’s chest and he pulled her closer. For a moment everything was perfect. That was until the song ended and Nate moved away from Carrie and they both made their way back to the head table. Carrie wished that they could hold on to that memory forever but she couldn’t even tell if it was real or just for show. All she knew at that moment was that she needed another drink. After Carrie danced with her father and many tears were shed as he sang to her and they swayed together across the floor and Nate danced with his mother as she cried and Nate smiled at her as he wiped away her tears, the dance floor filled with the many guests. Lacey found herself dancing with just about everyone there just having as much fun as she possible could. Nothing was holding her down tonight except for the slow songs that made her realize she came here alone.
She made her way back to her bar sneaking one more glass of wine. But just as she was about to take a sip she heard someone behind her clear their throat and ask her for a dance. She laughed as she thought about whom it could possibly be but when she turned around she was surprised to see someone that she did not notice. Lacey instantly melted at the sight of his bright blue eyes and beautiful white smile. She had to strain her neck to look up at his face he was easily over 6 foot.
"How about we start by you telling me your name, I don't believe we have met"
"I'm Marcus; I'm a friend of the groom."
"We'll then Marcus I'm Lacey and I would love to dance."
He held out his hand and Lacey willingly accepted it, her hands were so tiny compared to his and she laughed quietly to herself knowing that no way was he related to Nate. As they made their way on to the floor Lacey noticed the one person she hadn't seen all night and mentally cursed every word she could ever think of his way. Why would Nate even invite him it just made no sense. Derek smiled at her as he got close to them, his date looked as skanky as ever and also quite young too, no doubt he picked her up from so club for under aged teens.
"Looks, like your being classic Lacey all over again. Poor Tyler."
And just as fast as he'd been there he was gone. Lacey just ignored him and continued to dance with Marcus who just smiled at her the whole time making her blush uncontrollably. He really was handsome. They talked as they moved around the floor sharing laughs and running people over in the process. He was lucky he had a certain charm to him or Carries family would have eaten him alive. Lacey was enjoying herself so much she hadn't noticed how much time had passed by. People were beginning to leave, the older majority of the crowd at least. Lacey excused herself from Marcus and helped to find people's coat and give her goodbyes and thank you’s.
"Hey who's the hottie?" Carrie asked as she was in the coat room with Lacey.
"His name is Marcus he's from buffalo, and apparently his friends with Nate. I have to find out where he's been hiding him."
"Me too, I have never even heard his name mentioned before.”
"Speaking of friends with Nate that no good dirt bag of a man Derek said something to me earlier and I don't know what he was talking about."
"What did he say, well besides the fact that his date is just barely legal and he's pretty sure she's got some kind of disease."
Lacey laughed at Carries rant happy that they both had the same thought.
“Well he said something about me being classic Lacey and poor Tyler; I honestly don’t even know why he’s here”
Lacey and Carrie made their way back into the reception hall but before Lacey could make it all the way in she was stopped by Nate.

"Can we talk for a second?"

Lacey looked over at Carrie who just smiled at her and said "Don't worry I will keep him warm for you" and skipped her way to Marcus with a smile plastered to her face.

"What did you need Nate" Lacey asked with not interest at all in what he was saying. She just wanted to get back to Marcus as soon as possible.

"I actually want to thank you for everything you've done lately"

"Ok, why are you being nice? Who's putting you up to this?"

"Lacey I'm serious it's been hard on Carrie and you have been there this whole time even though I have not been the nicest person."

"Listen I wish you could see that I'm only in this so that Carrie can be happy if it wasn't for her I would have been out of the door on day one. Whatever complex you have with Derek needs to be fixed and you need to figure out that Carrie is the most honest and trustworthy person that will ever walk into your life so don't you dare ruin it and let her walk right out of it. I might be all smiles tonight but as of tomorrow you are right back to the top of my shit list."

"Wow there's the Lacey I know claws out since day one and that speech of yours hid thy side of you so well, all that talk of true love and me and Carrie being meant for each other. I'm sure everyone in the room thought you actually believed in things like that."

"I'm only like this to get through to you but it's obviously not working on you or even Carrie I swear you are both clueless but you will figure it out sooner or later and I'm hoping not too late."

"Whatever that means well I'm not gonna hold you back from your favorite activity." Nate moved aside and held out his arm towards Carrie and Marcus.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Breaking hockey players, with just a single sweet smile."
He walked away leaving Lacey completely speechless. She had no clue that Marcus was a hockey player she just assumed he was a family friend. She made her way back to Marcus and Carrie with a half smile on her face. Carrie looked skeptically at her knowing something went down but not what exactly.

"What was that all about?"

"Oh nothing just some friendly words between two civil people."

Right then Carrie knew that Lacey meant the complete opposite but was not willing to discuss it in front of Marcus.

"So Marcus I hear your a hockey player?"

"Yeah I actually just started playing with these guys it been a real honor actually."

"Wait like with the sabres?" Lacey thought maybe Marcus had just been interested in hockey and played some pickup games with Nate. She hadn't really paid too much attention to the hockey world since her and Tyler's breakup.

"Yeah, it's been an exciting ride. All the guys are great I'm really enjoying myself and I get paid for it." Carrie and Lacey exchanged gazes. How they did not know this information was beyond them.

"I don't know about you but I need a drink." Lacey said walking away from the current situation that now made her a little woozy, "be right back."

As she made her way to the bar, which had been quite generous to her tonight, she saw the one person she was doing a good job avoiding.

"So I see you got your hands on a new soul to crush." The glaze hid stare held told her that he was beyond wasted.

"Oh don't you start with me too, you’re the last person that needs to criticize me considering your date surely is just over 18." He laughed at her as if the fire she was spitting his way was child's play.

"I didn't think you had it in you to shove yourself at another hockey player in front of Tyler, the guys barely over your little fling with a married man. Speaking of married men, Nate sure knows how to make an elaborate scene. It's about time he locked down Carrie maybe now she will be able to handle herself around other guys."

"Why the hell are you even here Derek, don’t you have some whores waiting or some puppies to kick. I'm sure there are plenty of relationships in need of your twisted mind games."

"We'll know that you've reminded me I could go tell Marcus all about you, I'm sure he'd be so happy when he knows the real you and I save him some time."

"Sure go tell him all the lies you can possible make up, I'm sure he would believe someone who can't even stand up straight or how about you take your scumbag self and your little slut of a date somewhere you might actually be wanted. I'm sure Chippewa could use you."
“Oh you think you’re so great because you’ve finally not bagged one but two hockey players. Well guess what you will never be anything special so you might as well quit well your ahead.”

“I’ve said it once and I will gladly say it again, you are scum and I hope your happy ass gets traded to a team where all the fans hate you so you can see you’re not that special, have a nice life and stay the hell out of mine.”
With that Lacey grabbed her drank and walked away from Derek with more anger than she’s had since her and Tyler’s blowout. She had been getting better at yelling at people in the past couple months and if she wasn’t hurting so much she would have been so proud of herself. Lacey walked past the dance floor where Marcus and Carrie were watching her as she cursed under her breath making her way to the bathroom. Carrie soon followed her as she stormed past guests.

“I’m so sorry Carrie but I’m just in the mood to be a bitch today and for some reason my mouth is disgusting. I need some soap after that little spat.”
Lacey sat with Carrie in the bathroom as Carrie sat down next to Lacey as she told her the conversation she had just had with Derek. Surprisingly her yelling could not actually be heard over the music even though she felt as if the whole room heard it.

“Honestly I’m proud of you for not hauling off on his pretty little face and if I wasn’t in this dress or in front of my family I would have done it myself.”

“And that is why we are friends, I was actually surprised too I think I saw him flinch when I picked up my drink like I was gonna throw it at him ha like I would waste it on him.”
Carrie and Lacey sat in the bathroom laughing and carrying on about the different scenarios of what could have happened. When Lacey had steadied herself and the only tears that flowed from her eyes were from laughing so hard at Carrie pretending to claw out Derek’s eyes. When they had thought of all the way to kill Derek they made their way back out to the reception, a smile on both of their faces. As Carrie and Lacey laughed their way into the reception Lacey bumped into someone feeling a cold sensation run down the front of her dress.

“Oh Lacey I’m so sorry, I swear I didn’t see you there.” Lacey looked up from her soaked dress to see the worry on Tyler’s face as he apologized over and over.

“It’s ok Tyler don’t worry about it there’s nothing a bathroom dryer can’t fix.” Lacey once again headed toward the bathroom to clean up the mess.

“Hey let me help you, it’s the least I can do.”

“No its ok I got it.” But even when she refused he followed her anyways walking straight into the women’s bathroom with Lacey. “Tyler really I can take care of it.”

“Please just let me help you I’m already in the women’s bathroom.”

“Whatever just grab some paper towels while I try and sit under this dryer.” Lacey struggled to get the right angle to dry of the spot but it didn’t seem to work and the paper towels but fell apart.
“Ok this is so not working. Give me your jacket I have an idea.” Tyler looked at Lacey wondering what she was about to do but handed over his jacket. Lacey walked into the bathroom and minutes later came out in Tyler’s jacket dress in hand. “Watch your eyes mister.”

“Yes Princess Lacey, I’m sure Marcus would be jealous if he knew you were wrapped in my jacket and may I saw you look amazing.”

“Tyler don’t even go there and I’m sure Marcus could care less about this I just met the guy.” Lacey ignored the butterflies that were slowly being to flutter in her stomach as she felt Tyler’s eyes on her. “The sooner this is over the better.”

“Oh you must be oblivious the guys been eying you all night I’m surprised it took him this long to approach you.”

“I’ve had enough of everyone bring him up tonight we are just having fun I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to enjoy myself.”

“Go ahead enjoy yourself nothing I say will stop you from doing that. We both know that.”

“And what does that even mean?”

“All you’ve done since I meet you is have fun and even though I told you I loved you, you played with my heart, it’s all fun for you Lacey, you never think about how it might affect me or anyone else.”

“Wow Tyler, really I have been nothing but honest with you since day one and I remember telling you the same thing and even if you don’t believe it I did mean it, but no you believe that I would chase after a married man when I haven’t as much even talked to him when it didn’t involve you. I’m sick of people thinking of me as some hussy when I have been nothing but faithful to you, I don’t think you get it Tyler but whatever I’m done with all of this.”

“I just don’t see how I can trust you when we jumped into something so quick and I have known Derek much longer than I have known you.”

“Oh because Derek is so trust worthy.”

“I think you know he is but you can continue to pretend about everything if you enjoy living in that world.”

“Tyler leave now just get out of here I don’t want to see you right now just go!”

“You don’t have to ask me twice.” Tyler walked out of the bathroom slamming the door as he left making Lacey jump. She finished drying off her dress and changed back into it. As she hung up Tyler’s jacket on the bathroom stall she heard something clink against the door and noticed something small inside the inside pocket that she hadn’t noticed before. She reached into the pocket pulling out a small flask, it was almost empty and Lacey couldn’t help but feel am angry pang creep up. She zipped up her dress and grabs the jacket as she made her way into the reception hall in search of Tyler. When she spotted him she walked up to him grabbed his arm and spun him around. He grabbed her by the waist surprising her and almost causing them both to fall.

“It’s about time you came to me. I was waiting all night.”

“Tyler I’m not trying to dance with you I found your stash. I thought you might want it back.” Lacey pulled away slamming the flask into his chest.

“Oh Lace like you haven’t been drinking all night too, and how are you to judge me when you’re not even of age?”
"I'm so glad we broke up, all you do is judge when you know you’re the one making all the stupid decisions. I'm done worrying about someone who doesn't even care."

"Whatever Lacey, enjoy Marcus you two deserve each other your both stuck up."
"Goodbye Tyler, have a nice life."

Lacey stormed off but this time she didn't head towards the bathroom she headed towards the coat room finding her coat as fast as possible and made her way towards her car, driving away leaving all of the drama behind.
When Lacey had made her way home she text Carrie, apologizing for the scene she had made and for storming out on her wedding. Carrie knew how Lacey was feeling and offered her condolences letting her know that she had ever right to be mad.
Lacey had a horrible night but she was happy that it was her to have such a horrible night and not Carrie since she had her own problems to deal with. All Lacey wanted was for her best friend to be happy and she would do anything to make it happen. On the plus side Lacey had exchanged numbers with Marcus and he too had sent her a short but sweet text stating that he was glad they could meet and even though things weren't exactly normal he wanted to see her again sometime soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys so sorry for the long wait, I'm in school and trying to write. This was actually supposed to be put up last night but WorldWarIII has gotten sick and couldn't edit it :( but I edited it today and here it is! She has about 3 chapters already written and now that she will be taking over the story (hopefully temporary or at least hopefully I can help some) updates should come quicker hope you all enjoy :)