He Shoots, She Scores

It's Funny You’re the Broken One, But I’m The One Who Needed Saving

After a whole weekend of dress shopping for Lacey’s wedding gown and still not finding anything the girls were getting ready to sit down to watch the guys play Philadelphia on the large projection screen downstairs. After the bouncy road trip they were having the girls were hoping they would win against the Flyers before coming home to play the Rangers and Senators.
It was only a little passed the halfway mark of the first period, when Carrie who had gone upstairs to get them drinks turned the corner into the room in time to see Tyler get slammed into the boards and hit the ice. As the plastic cups hit the floor Lacey let out a yelp as they both screamed Tyler at the TV. Mutual freak outs seemed to be their newest habit but with a hit like this they were both glad they had each other to lean on
“I don’t think he’s ok” Lacey says quietly trying to steady herself by holding onto Carrie
“Why hasn’t he gotten up yet, Tyler get up its freaking us out more” As if he heard Carrie, Tyler stands slowly and makes his way back to the dressing room.
A fight between Mike Weber and Wayne Simmonds broke out and they both went to the box for fighting.
“Where the hell is the call for my bleeding fiancé?”
Carrie looked at the TV wide eyed and as pissed as Lacey as play resumed and John Scott got a 10 minute misconduct as well
By the time the 3rd period started the angry tension in Carrie’s basement was thick as the girls watched the game with clenched teeth. When Nate got boarded by a player twice his size both girls froze waiting for him to get up
“What is this shit on the short ones night?” Carrie asked venom leaking from her voice
“Well I think it’s let’s take out the only ones playing night. Oh thank God he’s getting up, and staying on the bench so at least he’s not really hurt. Tyler’s really hurt”
“Tyler is really hurt, even I’m more worried about him than I am about Nate. Has he even text you yet?” Lacey only shook her head
As the game came to a close the Sabres losing 3-2, Lacey sighed irritated and began walking out of the room, stepping in the still wet pop spilled all over the carpet that they had neglected to clean up. Lacey pulled her foot up yanking off her sock in anger. She took a deep breath trying to calm down before spinning to look at Carrie
“Go ahead, rant it all out” Carrie said and Lacey inhaled deeply before speaking
"I'm sorry I hate to do this but I just can't hold in it in anymore, these last few games have been torture. I sit here and watch him get beat up night after night and nothing is ever said, no penalties are called and now this who knows what's happened to him and I haven't heard one word from him. Carrie now I understand why you are the way you are with Nate. I'm terrified every time he sets foot on the ice. My mind keeps going back to every small hit and I wonder if that's going to be the one to end it all for him. He loves this game and I couldn't handle it if he really gets hurt. For all I know that could be today, why haven't I heard anything not even one thing." Lacey stopped to take a breath and felt the tears being to come to her eyes. "This is just too stressful for me."
Carrie hugs her friend tightly. "You know I do still get worried about Nate and I probably always will, but honestly I'm kind of used to it now. My munchkin is, well there is no polite way to say this about my husband, he's a pain in the ass on the ice, I’d probably knock him around too"
"He is a little shit head isn't he" Lacey says with a laugh and Carrie only nods
"But what I am more pissed about is how the refs don't even call like a charging penalty or anything! I understand that Enzo turned at the last second and so he technically saw the player coming but still he got HURT Nate did not. The NHL spends so much time putting players in the box for absolute crap and then ignores serious issues like this one. Personally take out the instigator rule its bullshit anyway, take out the hand pass off the face off that one is just pointless too, and throw in one that is an automatic ejection from the game if a player gets hurt off of a hit, to the point that they do not return to the game. Ya know what that will stop? This shit!"
Carrie was pacing now and could feel her heart about beating out of her chest "I will not lie I love hockey because it’s a very physical game and there is always action but I am sick of it being open season on the Sabres every year" She threw her hands up in frustration sending an empty plastic cup flying across the room.
She picks it up and goes to head out of the room stepping with bare feet right into the same wet spot Lacey did "And I’m blaming the refs for wet carpets too!”
"Let's face it we have a better chance getting the refs in trouble for getting this floor wet then getting that boarding call, but I need to change my socks before I really get angry"
Lacey and Carrie made their way back up into the living room as Lacey took a seat on the couch and Carrie went to grab her socks. Lacey was slowly starting to fall asleep when she heard her phone buzzing on the couch next to her. She jumped up to see Tyler's smiling face on the screen and without hesitation answered the phone
"Babe what's going on!" all the concern she had seemed to slowly melt away as she heard his voice on the other end.

"Lacey I'm ok just a small gash they are gonna run some tests to see if there was any other damage."

"Oh Tyler, I swear to God I will kill that man for hurting you!"

Tyler laughed at Lacey's irrational anger and even though he was not to happy with the hit murder was not an acceptable answer.

"Lace, its ok I will be fine. Just relax and know that I will be home soon to see you. But I do have to go now they are going to bring me in now for tests I will call you later. I love you"

"I love you to Tyler please be ok and call me as soon as you know more."
Lacey hung up the phone just as Carrie was coming down the stairs. She tossed Lacey a new pair of socks and noticed the small smile that was starting to slowly replace the fear that one took over her face.

"Did he call what's going on?"

"Yeah he says he is fine but who knows if he's telling the truth or his brain is scrambled. They are going to run some tests he said he would call me when he knew more."

"Well that's good to know, now if only I heard from Nate that would be nice."
Carrie took a seat next to Lacey on the couch them both figuring that now that Tyler had called so would Nate. With no TV on in the dark living room it wasn’t long before both of them fell asleep on the couch. An hour later Lacey wakes up to her phone ringing, she sits up with blurry eyes and answers the phone expecting Tyler
“Is Carrie with you?” She hears Nate’s panicked voice say and Lacey nods “Lacey! Is Carrie with you, answer me I’ve been trying to get a hold of her for an hour!”
“Yeah” Lacey mumbled and extended her foot across the couch kicking Carrie in the side to wake her up “Carrie, its Nate, where’s your phone?”
“Right here” she says groggily patting her side and waking up fully when she didn’t feel it in her pocket “Where is my phone?” she asks frantically looking around the living room
“I don’t know but here” Lacey says shoving her phone towards Carrie
“Hello” Carrie says into the receiver and she hears a sigh of relief
“Thank God”
“Why didn’t you just call the house phone?”
“Honestly, I forgot we have one. Also I don’t think I even know the number”
Carrie laughed and rolled her eyes “Are you ok?” she asks quietly
“I’m fine why wouldn’t I be fine”
“You do know I watch the games when you aren’t hear right? You do know that I know how pain looks right, so now I ask again are you ok?” This time her voice sounded like if he said no her heart would break.
Next to her Lacey got up and headed towards the basement stairs going to look for Carrie’s phone while she was talking to Nate
“Yeah Carrie, I’m ok. It hurt but I’m ok I promise. I’m just sitting at the Hospital with Tyler right now”
“How’s he doing?”
“He’s tired, tired of x-rays, tired of doctors, tired of them asking if he has a headache. He’s also probably actually tired”
“Well have they figured anything out yet?”
“Don’t know, I’m not family just a team mate that volunteered to stay behind while everyone else flies home. I said my wife wouldn’t mind”
“They made you go for a concussion screening too huh?” She says knowingly
“Well yeah but I’ve been done with that I still said I would say so Enzo doesn’t have to fly home alone. Ya know he’s my best friend, and I’m pretty sure you and Lacey would kill me for leaving him here, even if you do want me home”
“You are so right, see if hockey doesn’t work out look at all that intelligence you have to work with” Carrie joked and Nate laughed lazily “You sound tired handsome”
“I’m very tired, I would like them to release Tyler so we can fly home, I’d rather sleep next to you than in a hotel or hospital”
“I like that a lot better too, especially the hospital part, it makes me nervous when you are there”
“Carrie” he warns
“I know, I know, you’re fine”
“Well go back to sleep baby it’s late. I will see you tomorrow”
“Ok I love you”
“I love you too”
She hung up the phone just as Lacey was coming back into the living room
“Your phone was stuck in the cushions of that massive couch. We did a good job getting that stain up” She says sarcastically
“Oh man I forgot about that. I’ll go get the little spot cleaner from upstairs. Is it still wet or did it dry?”
“Still wet, grab me more socks” Carrie rolled her eyes and grabs some towels from the kitchen throwing them towards Lacey
“Go sop some of it up I’ll be down in a minute”
Lacey nodded and headed back down the stairs while Carrie headed up the stairs. It took them a half hour to get the dark Dr. Pepper stain out of the carpet and once they were done they headed slowly up both sets of stairs.
Carrie checked her phone seeing a text from Nate letting her know they were out of the hospital and headed to the airport
“You sleep in the guest room, Nate and Tyler are on their way back. I told Nate that they should just both come here”
Lacey nodded and headed groggily to the spare room. Carrie changed and crawled quietly into her bed falling asleep almost instantly. She woke up with a jolt around 7am she looked around the room in panic but still didn’t see Nate. As she was about to call him his bathroom door swung open
“Nate, you’re ok”
“Of course I am, I’m tired though can we go back to sleep?”Carrie nodded, Nate got into the bed next to her and she hugged him tightly panic still on her face “What’s wrong?” he asks kissing her hair
“I just had a terrible dream, one second you were playing hockey and the next I was getting a call from the coroner to come identify your body. Then I woke up and you weren’t in bed and it just freaked me out”
“Oh baby” Nate cooed in her ear rubbing her back gently “I’m right here, and I’m not going anywhere for a long time” Carrie nodded, and just about the time Nate was going to let go he felt her shake slightly “Carrie honey are you crying?” he asks brushing the hair out of her face and she looks up at him with tears rolling down her face
“It was just so real, I don’t know what I would do if something really happened to you. I know realistically we’ve only been together for a little over a year, and even to me this sounds crazy it’s too fast but I need you Nathan Gerbe I really do, my entire world would crumble if you were gone”
“But I’m not gone sweetheart I’m right here” he says gently wiping her tears away “And I don’t think you sound crazy, I need you too Carrie I don’t know what I would do without you. Come on try to go back to sleep”
Nate holds her tight her head on his chest and rubs her back gently until she falls back to sleep to the rhythmic sound of his heartbeat
Rewind With Lacey

Lacey sat in the bed in the spare room replaying the hit over and over in her mind, slowly exhausting herself with the endless worrying. It had been about an hour since Carrie had gone to bed but Lacey couldn't seem to remember how to close her eyes. She sat there staring at her phone as the time passed by, sometime between the countless YouTube videos she drifts off.

With Tyler

Tyler and Nate board there plan to head back to buffalo. Tyler watched as Nate sends a text to Carrie letting her know they were on their way home. Knowing that the message would get to Lacey he didn't strain himself to send her the same message.
His head was pounding and he knew that tonight would be rough and he wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon. It seemed as if the flight dragged on and Tyler just wanted to be back in buffalo and with Lacey, who if he guessed right, was not sleeping either.
Tyler rested his head against the back of his seat which only seemed to make the wound deep in his forehead pound a little harder. After about an hour and a half the pilot came over the speaker making Tyler jump slightly as he must have dozed off for a minute. The pilot said they would be arriving soon so Tyler sat up in his seat and woke up Nate who was sound asleep next to him.

"Nate wake up were landing soon." Nate groaned beside him not waking up but rolling over to his other side. "I'm so glad I'm not Carrie I would hate to wake you up."Nate sat up and glared at Tyler as he buckled himself in.

"Dude I'm way to tired for this right now."

"Yeah well how do you think I feel I was supposed to stay awake which didn't happen but I woke up so I'm fine. Thanks."

"Sorry Enzo I guess I didn't help any with that but hey at least we know for sure there was no concussion."

"Nope just this huge gash in my forehead and an unbalanced equilibrium."

"Well you never could walk straight anyways and your hair covers that anyways."

"Ha ha very funny I wouldn't be talking to much remember you aren't that much better Mr. High and wide."

The guys just laughed at each other which caused Tyler's head to pound again. Sleep was sounding wonderful to both of them as their plane landed. They got their bags and hailed a cab to Nate’s house. When they got to the house they both went to their rooms as quietly as possible to not wake up the girls. Tyler slowly opened the door to the spare room to see a slight glow on the bed. Lacey had fallen asleep with her phone against her face. He smiled at his fiancé and slowly took the phone from her plugging it into her charger. He heard her move around but she didn't wake. Tyler changed into some sweats and crawled in next to Lacey. She turned towards him her eyes slowly opening as she frowned.

"What's wrong Lace?"

"You really scared me tonight."

"Hey I'm fine really just a little scratch and no concussion don't worry."

"Are you sure you’re ok because I'm still hurting and it didn't even happen to me."

"I'm fine a little sore but I would feel better with some sleep."

"Well I can do that"

Tyler pulled Lacey closer to him and she rested her head against his chest. Tyler kissed the top of her head his eyes feeling heavier by the minute.

"Please take it easy, when I see you in pain it makes me nervous and I don't want anything to happen to you I love you too much."

"Lace I'm a hockey player I don't do easy. But while I'm out I wouldn't mind a little TLC from a certain girl."

"I will let Carrie know tomorrow I'm sure she will agree to it."

"I figured she would you know I think she loves me." Lacey playfully slapped Tyler on the chest and ignores his joking. "Hey guess what."

"What?"

"I love you too much too, and I'm glad I'm finally back here with you."

"I'm glad your back too, now go to sleep you need it."

"Goodnight Lacey"

"Goodnight Tyler"

The two drift off easily then before, Lacey had Tyler by her side and things seemed to be fine and Tyler found a comfort in Lacey that he had needed after the rough night he had.
With Lacey
The sunlight shined through the window and onto Lacey's face. She slowly tried to sit up but felt a strong arm holding her down. She laid back and turned towards Tyler who was breathing lightly next to her. She brushed the hair out of his face and saw the swelling on his forehead. Lacey winced when she saw the stitches across his forehead. Tyler's eyes opened slightly as he smiled at her until he saw the look on her face.

"What's wrong Lace, why do you look like someone just died?"

"Tyler you said it was just a scratch, that's not a scratch you have a zipper on your forehead."
Lacey frowned as she stared at the mark across his forehead.

"Hey don't frown at me, it's really fine and they will be gone soon. I actually have an appointment later today with the team doctor, would it make you feel better if you came with me?"

"Yeah I guess it might help."
"Ok good, so you’re on break now aren't you?"

"Yeah for a week, it certainly isn't long enough."

"How about you spend this week with me? It would probably help me recover faster."

Lacey smiled at Tyler as she stared into his deep brown eyes getting lost in the idea of being able to spend this time with him even if he was hurt. "I'm sure I can manage that."
Tyler leaned forward and kissed Lacey's forehead but winced as he strained himself.

"Oh my poor baby please be careful. I'm gonna make sure your not lifting a finger anytime soon."

"Well I wouldn't object to a nice sponge bath considering I haven't showered since yesterday morning."

"I'm sure you can manage that much buddy."

"Did you just call me buddy? Last time I checked I was a little more than that and what about when I'm old will you wash me then?"

"That's what retirement homes are for, plus when you reach that stage I will probably have a new younger husband by then." Tyler's face changed to one full of worry and fear. "I hope you know I was kidding. I couldn't find anyone better than you; it was hard enough to find you. You’re stuck for life."

"Just the thought of you with another man scares me, I have seen it once and I'm never letting it happen again."

"Hey, we’re not talking about that. It's me and you and no one else." This time Lacey made the effort to lean over and lightly place a kiss on his lips making sure to be as gently as possible and not break the now fragile looking man in front of her. "What time is it anyways, I'm hungry." Lacey said as her stomach mimicked her thoughts.

"Of course you are." Lacey rolled over and read 9:30 on the screen of her phone. Tyler shifted beside her and she thought he had gotten up until he was speaking just an inch away from her ear.

"Who is that attractive man on your background?"

"Oh hush, I was having a hard time sleeping so I thought if I saw your face it would help."

"So that explains why you fell asleep with it on your face." Tyler snickered from beside her and then rolled off the bed and walked to the bathroom.

Lacey got out of bed and opened the door to the spare room listening for any signs of movement but it was quiet not even cash was moving around. She closed it and started to walk back to the bed when her bladder decided it had other ideas and she found herself knocking on the bathroom door and rushing Tyler.

"I gotta pee, hurry up in there!"

"Go downstairs!" Tyler yelled back through the closed door.

"I'm going to pee on this floor and I'm sure Nate wouldn't enjoy that very much there's already one stain on the rug downstairs." Just then the door clicked open and Tyler walked out with a questioning look on his face.

"Do I even want to know what you did down there?"

Lacey pushed past him ignoring his questions having more important things on her mind. Minutes later Lacey walks out of the bathroom with a toothbrush in her mouth and a brush in her hand.

"Are you going to tell me about the stain, or should I just let my mind run wild with crazy ideas. And where did you get a toothbrush?"

"We'll when we saw you get hit yesterday Carrie was holding two drinks and they ended up on the floor. We cleaned it but like two hours later. And I have a toothbrush here Carrie bought an extra one for me."

"Wait you have a toothbrush here that's kind of weird."

"Well Carrie is always well prepared especially when it comes to me. I'm sure she has more go ask her for one."

"I sure will" Tyler walked towards the door when something hit him in the back. He turned around to see a shirt at his feet and looked back at Lacey. "What's this for?"

"I might not have a problem with you walking around like that but I do have a problem with you walking around like that around other people."
Tyler threw on the shirt Lacey gave him and walked down the hall towards Carrie and Nate’s bedroom. Lacey went back into the bathroom and combed out her hair then threw it up into a ponytail.

"Your right she did have another one!" Tyler walked into the bathroom and brushed his teeth next to Lacey. Lacey leaned in to wash her face in the sink, just missing Tyler's spit by an inch.

"Ewwwww, Tyler that was almost my eye."

"Why are you sticking your face in the sink?"

"I'm trying to wash my face and I wasn't expecting you to spit just then."

"Hey you stuck your face in the danger zone. Don't go blaming me for spitting in the sink like normal people do."

"How are we going to share a bathroom when I move in?"

"Well there are two bathrooms."

"Tyler the extra bathroom is in the basement."

"Well make sure you wear a sweater it gets cold down there."

Lacey pushed Tyler as she walked out of the bathroom and out if they corner of her eye she saw him flinch and try to hide his pain.

"Oh, babe I'm sorry I completely forgot."

"No no it's ok I just gotta suck it up."

"No it's not ok, but hurry up and get ready so we can get to your appointment."

Lacey walked down stairs and into the kitchen where Carrie was sitting down with a cup of coffee.

"Mmhm that looks delicious." Lacey went straight for the coffee pot and poured herself a cup. As she took a sip she reminded herself of the toothpaste flavor she still had in her mouth. "Eww fresh breath and coffee not a good mixture."

"Nice one Lacey, so what are you up to today."

"Tyler's has to be at the arena soon to see the team doctor so pretty much that."

"That sounds like so much fun. I would so join you but I have to umm wash the ....carpets."

"Well you just enjoy that don't forget your mop."

The two laugh together as they remember a joke they shared together. Lacey finished up her cup of coffee and set the cup in the sink just as Tyler was walking into the kitchen.

"You ready to go." Tyler asked grabbing an apple from the bowl on the counter.

"Yeah let me just grab my car keys and then we can go."

Lacey grabbed her keys and bag from the spare room and they made their way to the arena where the team doctor was waiting for them. Tyler was put through several tests to check his balance and to make sure there were no signs of a concussion. When the tests were done Tyler put on his skates and hopped onto the ice. He hobbled a little at first but after a minute or two started to even out. Once he had skated around the rink a few times he got back off and took off his skates. Tyler and Lacey walked back into the office to hear what the doctor was going to tell him.

"Well the tests came back negative for any signs of a concussion or any neurological damage, we will test that again in a few days or so, your stitches can be removed at the end of this week the cut seems to be healing well even though it's only been a day. Your equilibrium is a tad off balance but not enough to keep you off of the ice. I do want you to take it slow for the next few days I will give you some simple exercises to do at home to help keep your strength up. We will set up an appointment for later this week for a checkup."
Tyler and Lacey spend the week off relaxing and doing wedding planning, until the doctors clear him to play again.
♠ ♠ ♠
These next two chapters are the literal meaning of a coauthor, so the person that wrote the longer half we decided gets credit, so for the next two that would be me. And Steph is saying only 5 chapters left of the story. From there we are both in the paper phase of writing other stories involving hockey players, if you guys are interested let us know and we will make sure you know when they are up and going :)