When the World Turned

Chapter 4

It’s just barely daylight. As we’re driving down the road, we see a few more zombies, and all the stores and houses have the windows busted out. Before the sickness got to most of everyone in town, people where breaking into other’s houses and especially stores, anywhere that would have food and items that they thought would help them survive. The town looked pretty post-apocalyptic. Which I guess wasn’t just this town, but the whole country, possibly the whole world.
We drive for hours, and then we find a gas station and decide to stop and refill the tank. Tooth decay jumps down as soon as we come to a stop. I fill the tank, and I go into the store. Bull’s sitting on the counter and looking at a magazine. I grab an old newspaper off the shelf and start reading it, it’s one from two years ago, and it list ways of staying safe. Stay indoors, avoid windows, and if you are face to face with one of the infected detach their head and it will die.
That’s actually true, but it’s not as simple as the movies made it look. You can’t just separate the head and spine with one hit. No, you have to continue to beat the zombie, and most people just take the first swing and assume that the dead is actually dead. Maybe the cure will work for the dead-dead ones too, but I don’t know, I haven’t really thought of all the details. Like, what if some zombies can’t be reversed, the ones that turned a long time ago might be immune to the antidote, or the ones that were totally devoured during their turning.
“Bull, are you ready?”
“Yeah, it’s your turn to drive.”
He throws me the keys, and picks up Toothdecay. We go outside and there’s a rotting corpse sitting on our four-wheeler.
“Uhm, hi. It’s great to meet you and all, but you’re kind of sitting on our ride dude.” Bull tells the random cadaver.

“Really? Would you like me to move?”
“That’d be good” I say.
“You didn’t say please.” he said while pushing Bull to the ground.
“Dude, what’s your problem?” I ask.
He doesn’t answer, he just looks at me and rolls his yellow eyes and walks away. Jerk. I turn around and see Bull sitting on the ground, and Toothdecay is licking his knee. Bull pushes him off and gets up.
“Let’s go before that lifeless moron comes back.” I tell bull while wiping that guys left over goop off the seat.
It didn’t take long before bull started singing about what just happened.

“Some random zombi just pushed me down,
And I fell upon the dirty nasty ground.
A wiener dog licked me clean,
I really want to slap that dude in his face,
because he was really mean.”

He keeps singing for at least an hour, or his version of singing, mainly he just rhymed unsystematic words. The worst part of his constant and spontaneous singing is that they are really kind of catchy and get stuck in your head.
I have to admit that if he really tried and expanded his vocabulary, he could write a pretty decent song.

Over the next few days we saw progressively more zombies. Some nice and some not so much, but we did learn that the not so pleasant ones truly liked being a zombie, so to spread the word of what we we’re doing didn’t seem like a good idea. I didn’t think anyone would want to stay in this putrid state, but apparently some do. We ran into some pretty awesome zombies that would’ve totally would’ve been into helping us, but like I said, after meeting some of the unpleasant ones I figured we should keep it on the down low; plus, we wouldn’t want to get peoples hopes up.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're still in the process of editing and proofing. Any CONTSRUCTIVE criticism is encouraged.