Beginning of Something

E.R. (Part Two)

Rosie’s Diner was located a few blocks down the street from school. It was a very popular diner where students from Victoria High gathered at after school. Blythe had worked as a busgirl here once when she was a freshman, saving up money for her tuition fees. The interior was retro but kept very simple, with a black graphite counter at the center and bright red booths at the windows. Posters from the 1980s decorated the paint peeling walls and a jukebox was playing rhythm and soul music from the famous Hall & Oates. Christmas lights were hung at the wall just above a bar table further back in the diner. The floor was covered in unpolished red and white tiles.

Blythe’s cheese fries lay in a basket that was wrapped in kitchen paper. She had barely touched the food even though it was her favorite. In fact, she was hardly even listening to the conversation going on. She was only vaguely aware of Cassie complaining about her day. Jude seemed to be the only one paying attention and eating at the same time. Alec did not try to hide his boredom, with one hand under his chin to prop his head up and the other poking lazily at his hamburger. He seemed to think that it would come alive if he nudged at it long enough. Glancing at the gold pocket watch which rested just below his chest by a chain, Blythe shrugged to herself and sighed inwardly.

She had not expected Cassie to tag along, and was disappointed when she did, but only because now she would have two other people to distract before she could talk to Alec privately. Having the other girl around made her feel more comfortable, undoubtedly, but Cassie might also hinder her plans. She still did not know what her distraction plan would be yet, and she half-expected her hidden intentions for this awkward gathering to falter.

Cassie, oblivious to Alec’s look of restlessness, went on. “She kept going on and on about the same topic even though the class already understood her! I will slaughter her if she can’t finish the examinable topics.”

Alec yawned, raising his arms over his head, and stood up. All three pairs of eyes turned to him, together with a few gasps from the young girls at the counter who were long ogling at him. Jude had a look of horror and embarrassment.

“Sorry, Cassidy,” he said to Cassie, who only looked a little offended. “He did not get enough rest last night and—”

“Oh, I got plenty of sleep last night,” Alec said, amusement plain on his face. “I’m just going to order more food if we’re going to continue sticking around here and listening to her grandmother stories.”

Blythe immediately felt indignant for Cassie as he strode toward the counter. Jude was once again apologizing earnestly, and it occurred to her that all he did today was expressing remorse on behalf of his friend. Even though Jude had said that Alec was like a brother to him, they were worlds apart. She could not help but wonder what good it was he saw in Alec for him to even be friends with the other boy. Alec was somebody Blythe would never want to be acquainted with, and this made her hesitate before she got to her feet, knowing there was no turning back once she did.

“I’ll go with him,” she offered, earning curious looks from both friends. “I’ve yet to say sorry for my behavior the other day and maybe that’s why he’s so cranky.”

Jude started, “I do not think that is why—”

Blythe made her way to the counter hurriedly before he could finish his sentence. She clutched at her skirt, where the shape of the pocket watch could be felt. Taking a deep breath, she went up to Alec and stood silently beside him. They stayed that way for only a few seconds before he turned to her with a frown.

“What?” he demanded, his cloudy eyes examining her. “Are you here to lecture me for stating the fact about what your blonde friend there is doing?”

She narrowed her eyes, already beginning to regret approaching him. “That pocket watch of yours,” she began, reaching into her pocket. “Do you have another one that is exactly like it?”

He made his face carefully blasé at her question, but his raised voice gave him away. “It’s a family heirloom. This is the only one in the world.”

“Then why do I have one exactly like it?” She bit the insides of her cheeks and took the pocket watch out, laying it on the countertop. “Isn’t this yours?”

He touched the chain around his neck absently. “Pocket watches are common. When I say that my watch is the only one in the world, I mean it’s the only one that has a “E.R.’ at—” His mouth went slack as his eyes rested on Blythe’s pocket watch.

She followed his line of vision and saw, to her amazement, that the initials E.R. was engraved at the side of the watch she had; a detail she had overlooked. She peered at the replica on him, and saw that it too, had the initials.

Alec grabbed one of her shoulders and shook her hard. “W—Where did you find this?”

She pushed his hand away, tension growing in her fast. “We need to talk.” Her hands were shaking as she scrawled her phone number and address on the back of the restaurant’s business card with a pen she found on the counter intended for signing credit card payments. “Meet me tonight.”

Alec took the card as she retrieved her pocket watch and felt it skid down the insides of her pocket. He eyed her menacingly for a last time before he bolted out of the diner’s front doors.

When Blythe returned to their booth after his departure, she made up a lame excuse for Alec’s absence—that Jude was right when he said he was lethargic and he had gone home to nap—and finally ate her fries. Adrenaline was still coursing ferociously through her as they left an hour later. She felt triumphant.

She was going to get her long sought answers tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh, we're finally getting somewhere, aren't we? I hope you're all looking forward to the next chapter!