Family Matters

Chapter Four

~Time Lapse~

I heard a few voices speaking as I laid there, my eyes closed.

“She has a broken leg and a few cuts and bruises, she wasn’t really hurt that bad, a mild concussion the worst.” I heard someone who sounded like a doctor say.

“Ok, thanks Dr. Benson.” I heard Ryan say. Ryan’s actually here? I slowly opened my eyes, but realized it was really bright, squinted.

“Karli, you’re awake.” I heard Alex, my brother, say. I turned my head to the side and he was sitting there.

“Yeah.” I said, my voice scratchy.

“Here, have some water.” He said, handing me a cup. I took a drink and looked around. Ryan, Deryk, Jace, Ben, Alex, and Evie were there. I knew Ryan would have all three kids up here.

“Mommy!” Jace yelled and climbed up on the bed and sat next to me, facing me. I smiled and rubbed my hand down his face. He grabbed my hand and looked at it.

“What are all the wirey things for?” He asked. I smiled.

“There helping mommy get better.” I said. He looked at my face and smiled. He hugged me and I hugged him back. Ryan was standing in the corner watching, looking a little wary. I looked over at him and raised my eye brow. We may have fought, but he’s still my husband.

“Why are you over there?” I asked. He looked at me.

“Oh, I thought.” He said quietly. I held my arms out and he walked over, after a little hesitation, and gave me a hug.

“I still love you Ryan.” I said in his ear. He nodded and stood up. Jace sat up at the pillows and looked at Deryk and Benjamin.

“Deryk, Benny come here!” He said. Deryk walked over and I looked at him.

“I’m fine Deryk. Don’t worry.” I said and he nodded. I held my arms out and he hugged me. He sat there for a few seconds before standing. Alex looked at his phone.

“Sorry to leave on short notice, but Josie needs to be picked up and yeah. So we gotta go.” Alex said.

“It’s OK Alex, you guys should come over, when I get to go home.” I said. He nodded and hugged me, Evie right after. Then they left.

“So what day is it?” I asked.

“Saturday.” Ben said. I looked at the time.

“It’s 3:30. What about your game Deryk?” I asked.

“I told coach that there was a family emergency, and he said it was fine and that he’d let Kyle play.” He said.

“Is Kyle good?” I asked.

“Not as good as me, but yeah.” He said. I nodded and looked at Ryan.

“Did you do the competition?” I asked.

“No.” He said flatly.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because my wife was in the hospital and I figured I should be there.” He said.

“Oh. I’m not mad at you anymore Ryan.” I said. He looked down and nodded slightly.

“I know, I just feel bad.” He said. I looked up at him and he was looking down.

“When I can go home we are getting a puppy.” I said, very randomly.

“A puppy?” Deryk asked with a laugh.

“Yes, a puppy. We need something we all can take care of, instead of just random things.” I said.

“Alright.” Deryk said. I looked down at Jace, he was laying down against my side, sleeping.

“Awe, that is so cute.” I said. Ryan looked at Jace and smiled. I love it when Ryan looks at any of his sons and gets that look. That look that says he would do anything to protect them and never let anyone hurt them. He has the look of a true dad. And I love that look.

“Well Mrs. Sheckler. How do you feel about going home?” Dr. Benson asked.

“I would love it.” I said.

“Alright. Sign here and we can release you.” He said. I nodded and took the pen and signed my name and handed the doctor back the clipboard.

“Alright, a nurse will be in here in a few minutes to disconnect you from the machines and such. Then you can go.” He said. I nodded and he walked out.

“I brought up new clothes, since the other ones are kinda ruined.” Ryan said. I smiled and laughed a little. A lady in a nurses outfit walked in with a cart.

“Going home. Are you excited?” She asked.

“A little yeah.” I said and looked down at Jace.

“Hey, Ryan, can you get Jace?” I asked. He nodded and picked up our young four year old. He groaned a little before going silent. The nurse took out my IV and everything. It took about three minutes.

“Alright, now all you have to do is get dressed and check out at the desk. Have a nice day.” The nurse said. I smiled and she walked out. I stood and grabbed my bag of clothes and wobbled slightly because of the cast. Deryk jumped up and helped me to the little bathroom and closed the door. I changed and walked out. There was a wheel chair there and Ben was holding crutches.

“Let’s go.” I said and sat in the wheel chair. Deryk pushed me while Ryan, holding Jace, and Ben walked behind me. Deryk wheeled me to the desk and the lady smiled.

“Show me the bracelet.” She said nicely. I showed her my wrist and she took a hand held button thing and she waved it over the bracelet and the machine clicked.

“Alright, you’re free to go.” She said. I nodded and we left the hospital.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, Karli's ok. I wasn't going to just kill her off this early! I'm not killing her off at all! Hope you like it.

Comment/Subscribe/Promote

© 2012 Dallas Bryher All Rights Reserved