Family Matters

Chapter Eight

We all sat at the table and Ryan looked at me and then Ben. Deryk stormed off to his room, probably still mad from earlier.

“Um, I don’t know what to say.” He said. Ben looked at him.

“I’m still the same old Ben.” He said. Ryan nodded and looked at me.

“I guess that I don’t care really. You’re still my son. But Deryk might not be so happy.” Ryan said. Ben nodded and I tapped the table.

“Alright, so I should probably go get Deryk to break some news to both of you, and probably you Ryan.” I said. I stood and walked upstairs to Deryk’s room. I knocked on the door.

“Deryk. Open up.” I said. It was quiet in his room. I knocked again, and waited. I knocked four times before the door opened.

“What?” He asked. I looked at him.

“Don’t use that tone with me. Come down stairs.” I said.

“Why?” He asked.

“I have to tell you something.” I said.

“You’re not pregnant again are you?” He asked.

“No, no, something else.” I said.

“I don’t want to be near Ben right now.” He said.

“Why? Because he told us he’s gay?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. God mom, I almost beat Tanner’s face in because I thought he was spreading lies, not the truth.” He said.

“Deryk, Ben is still the Ben you knew at 2:45 this after noon. He isn’t going to change. He just wanted to come clean to his family. He looks up to you Deryk, and if you shun him, he’s going to take it worse than should be.” I said.

“Can we just not talk about this right now?” He asked.

“What ever. Just not accept your brother. I don’t give a shit anymore. I thought I raised you better than this.” I said and closed his door. I walked to my room and slammed the door and walked to my bed and sat down. I felt everything break down and the tears fell from my eyes. I never thought for once that any of my children wouldn’t accept their sibling. I just can’t believe this. I heard my door open and close.

“Karli.” I heard Ryan say. I just cried. I felt the bed shift and then arms around me.

“I, thought I, I raised, him, right, and, and, and not, to, to not accept, Ben, or Jace. I thought, we would, get, get through, through, everything, together.” I cried into Ryan’s arm. He hugged me and I cried.

“It’s not your fault. Deryk, is just upset. And Jace, psh, he don’t care. He’s four. His most complicated thing in his life is which toy to play with.” Ryan said. I laid back in his arms.

“And I thought about having another baby?” I asked.

“Don’t worry. We still can, every one is different.” Ryan said. We sat there quiet for a few minutes. I heard a knock on the door and I turned to look. I saw Deryk. I looked at him and he looked down.

“Can I talk to mom, dad?” He asked.Ryan looked at me and I nodded. He stood up and walked out. Deryk walked in and sat next to me.

“Look, mom, I’m sorry. I just didn’t know how to react at that moment. I was pissed and then Ben told us he’s gay. I was overwhelmed.” He said. I looked at him.

“One, no swearing, and two, how do you think I feel? I’m the mom who had to take this in and deal with you. I have the hardest job, and I don’t mind. Just please go talk to Ben for a few minutes, let him say his side of the story.” I said. Deryk nodded and stood. He walked out and I sighed. I hate being a mean mom, it makes me feel bad. I stood and walked downstairs. Ben was playing with Jace in the living room and Ryan was watching something on TV.

“Alright, so dinner time. What does everyone want?” I asked. I looked around and no one answered.

“Ok. So breakfast for dinner.” I said and walked to the kitchen and got down the griddle. I set it on the counter and plugged it in. I went to the fridge and got out the bacon, eggs, waffles, and sausage. I put the sausage on a plate and in the microwave and started to put the eggs together.

“Ryan! Get in here.” I said. I stirred the eggs and Ryan appeared in the doorway.

“Hmm?” He asked.

“Do the bacon.” I said. He sighed and walked over to the griddle.

“Is Deryk going to talk to Ben?” Ryan asked.

“I hope.” I said. I got out the big electric skillet and plugged it in. He nodded and put the bacon on the griddle as I put the eggs in. I stirred them and went to the sausage. I took the first plateful out and filled it again. I hit start on the microwave and went to the waffles. I put them in the toaster and stirred the eggs.

“I have to go to my doctor tomorrow.” I said.

“Why?” He asked.

“He called and said the break wasn’t as bad as he thought and is taking off the cast.” I said. Ryan nodded and took the bacon off and put new ones on. I stirred the eggs and switched out the waffles and went to the sausage and switched them out. I went back to the eggs and stirred. When the eggs were finished I switched the waffles and put the eggs in a bowl and on the table. I grabbed the sausage and piled it on a plate and Ryan fixed the bacon. I switched out the waffles and waited. I did this two more times before putting them on a plate and on the table. I grabbed the syrup and butter and brought them to the table. I grabbed four big plates and a plate for Jace and the silverware and cups. Ryan grabbed the juice, and milk. I walked to the living room and looked at Ben and Jace.

“Dinner’s ready.” I said and walked upstairs. I went to Deryk’s room and was about to knock when I heard him playing guitar and singing. I smiled and listened. His voice is so amazing, it makes you just feel so great when you listen. When he finished I knocked and he answered.

“Hmm?” He asked.

“Dinner.” I said. He nodded.

“Be down in a minute.” He said and I smiled. I walked downstairs and went to the kitchen and sat down.

“Ok, let’s wait for Deryk.” I said. I grabbed Jace’s plate and got some food out for him and set in down on in front of him. He grabbed his fork and waited. Deryk appeared in the doorway and came and sat down.

“Ok, let’s get our food and eat.” I said. Deryk grabbed his plate and went for the bacon first. I got some eggs and sausage and two waffles. I started eating.

“Ok, so big news guys.” I said. They all looked at me.

“We might be moving.” I said. Ryan looked at me.

“Did you get a call from that lady person?” He asked. I nodded.

“Me and dad are meeting up with her on Wednesday and talking about us buying the house.” I said.

“Cool, would I get my own room?” Ben asked.

“Maybe, depending on the size of the basement.” I said.

“Aren’t there four rooms?” Ryan asked.

“Well, yeah, but remember what we discussed last night?” I asked. Ryan nodded after a few seconds.

“What did you discuss?” Deryk asked.

“None of your business, eat Jace honey.” I said. Jace looked at me.

“I don’t feel good.” He said looking down at his food. I looked at him.

“Does your tummy hurt?” I asked. He nodded and I saw a tear fall.

“Try and eat some food honey, as much as you can.” I said. He nodded and got some eggs.

“Why are we moving?” Deryk asked.

“I figured we need a new scenery. A new place. We’ve lived here for almost 12 years.” I said. Deryk sighed.

“Would we go to a new school?” He asked.

“Next year, yes. But for the rest of this year, no.” I said. He looked at his food.

“I’m not hungry anymore.” He said and stood.

“Deryk get back here.” I said, he just walked away. I looked over at Ryan and he closed his eyes. Ryan got up and walked after Deryk.

“He’s mad because of me isn’t he?” Ben asked. I looked at him.

“No, he’s just really confused right now.” I said and looked at Jace. He was looking at his food and then got a look on his face. I watched him, and he puked, all over the table, himself and the floor. I closed my eyes and got up. Ben ran to the garage and got out a mop and a bucket. I grabbed Jace,

“Ben, can you clean up the floor?” I asked. He nodded and I carried Jace to the bathroom downstairs. I set him in the tub and turned on the water.

“Oh Jace.” I said. He looked up at me with wet eyes. I saw the look again and I took him out of the water and in front of the toilet. He puked in the toilet and I sat behind him, him sitting on my lap, holding onto the toilet.

“I don’t like this!” He cried and puked again. I grabbed a wash cloth and wiped his arm.

“I know honey, I know.” I said as he puked again. He cried and swallowed. We sat there for a few seconds before he leaned back and curled into me and cried. I held him and let him cry. It sucks when you’re four and you throw up. After a few minutes I put him in the tub, clothes on and everything. I grabbed the shower head and soaked him in his clothes. when the puke was off of him. I grabbed a towel and wrapped him. I picked him up and let the water drain. I took him upstairs to the bathroom and put him in the tub and ran a warm bath for him. He sat in the water and looked at me.

“Mommy’s gonna wash your hair and body and put you in bed.” I said. He shook his head.

“I wanna stay with you.” He said. I sighed and got to washing his hair. I heard the door open and then Ryan’s voice.

“Did he throw up?” He asked in my ear.

“Yup.” I said and started to rinse his hair. He looke down at the water and splashed. I washed his body, well, gave him the wash rag for his man parts, and then washed him off. I pulled the plug and got a towel and brought him to his room. I got him dressed in Jammies and grabbed his teddy and blanket and went to my room. I put him on my bed. I got changed into sweats and a tank top with a sweater and walked downstairs with Jace. I set him on the couch and went to the kitchen and grabbed the thermometer.

“I’m sorry for leaving you with the mess.” I said. Ben waved me off and I walked to Jace. I stuck the thermometer in his mouth and waited. When it beeped I took it out and he had a temperature of 102.3. I nodded and set the thermometer on the table and laid next to Jace. He curled up into my side and we watched the TV.
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter. Sorry for the wait, I got caught up in typing........

Ok guys, I feel really horrible right now, because it says I only have 26 readers, and I think this story deserves more, so please please please tell your other mibba friends about it. I'm like begging here.

Comment/Subscribe/Promote

© 2012 Dallas Bryher All Rights Reserved