Family Matters

Chapter Nine

~Time Lapse~

I opened my eyes and looked around. I looked at the clock and saw it was 11. I looked down and saw Jace sound asleep. I sat up and stretched. I picked up Jace and walked upstairs to his room. I set him carefully down in his bed and walked out. Ben was sleeping. I walked back downstairs and went back to the living room and sat down on the couch and turned on NCIS. I set the remote down next to me and watched TV. Someone walked into the hall thing behind me and then in the living room. It was Ryan, he sat down on the couch and looked down at me.

“Did you put Jace in bed?” He asked. I nodded and yawned.

“I am so tired.” I said. Ryan scooted closer to me and I leaned/laid down on him and he put his arm around me. We watched NCIS. I feel like me and Ryan only have this time to be romantic or anything. Ryan started to rub my arm. I loved it when he did this, it calmed my nerves and I just relaxed.

“So, you get your cast off tomorrow.” He said. I nodded.

“Yes I do, I am so excited.” I smiled. I heard someone coming down the stairs.

“Who’s that?” I asked.

“Me.” I heard Deryk answer. I nodded and looked at the TV.

“We should probably start packing things up tomorrow.” Ryan said.

“Yeah, so much stuff to pack.” I whined. He laughed.

“Who’s taking the boys to school tomorrow?” Ryan asked.

“I will, as long as you get up at the same time to watch Jace.” I said. He nodded and stayed quiet. Deryk came into the living room and sat in the chair.

“Why’re you still up?” I asked.

“Can’t sleep.” He said. I nodded and looked at him.

“What’s wrong Deryk?” I asked. He looked at me and raised an eye brow.

“Nothing? I’m tired and can’t fall asleep.” He said.

“Then go take a sleeping pill. Your doctor said to take one when you can’t fall asleep.” I said. Deryk has a chemical imbalance in his brain and he has Insominia, but at random moments, and he can’t, and I mean cannot, fall asleep for the life of him.

“I just did.” He said. I nodded.

“When do you go back to see Dr. Harris?” I asked.

“Um, Saturday I think.” He said. I nodded and turned back to the TV.

About an hour or so later I got up and stretched. Deryk went to bed a few minutes ago, and I’m tired.

“I’m gonna go to bed.” I said. Ryan nodded and I walked upstairs to my room and closed the door. I changed into PJs and climbed into bed, turning off the light.

In the morning I woke up to my loud alarm, and a snoring Ryan. I smiled and hit snooze. It’s six in the morning. I do not like getting up this early.

“Ryan, get up.” I said and pushed his shoulder. He just continued sleeping.

“Fine, you get the next alarm.” I said and climbed out of bed and walked out. I went to Deryk’s room and opened his door and turned on the light. He groaned and turned over.

“Get up Deryk.” I said and walked out. I went to Ben and Jace’s room and walked over by Ben.

“Wake up Ben. Time for school.” I said. Ben rolled over and looked at me.

“Get up.” I said. He blink and nodded. I walked out and downstairs, and walked to the kitchen. I went to make myself a cup of coffee. I waited for it to brew and then got it and walked to my office and grabbed my laptop and went to the living room and turned on the news. I logged onto my laptop and waited, taking a sip of my coffee.

“Mom, can I have coffee?” I heard Ben ask.

“No, you are 14, no.” I said. He groaned and walked into the kitchen to get breakfast. I went to the Internet and went to Yahoo!. I checked my email before closing the laptop and standing.

“Where’s Deryk?” I asked.

“Probably still sleeping.” Ben said. I sighed and walked upstairs and to Deryk’s room. I opened the door and saw Deryk sitting on his bed on his phone.

“Deryk, we’re leaving. Come on.” I said. He looked up and nodded. I walked back downstairs and grabbed my keys and went to the garage. I got in the car and started it, opening the garage. Ben came out and got in the back and then soon after, Deryk came out and got in front. I pulled out of the garage and then driveway and hit the garage door button and drove off down the road towards the school.

“So, how do you honestly feel about moving?” I asked. Deryk shrugged.

“Honey, I know going to a new school, halfway through the year is hard, but you have to understand my point of view. I said.

“I know, Ben needs his own space, and we need more room, blah, blah, blah.” He said. I nodded and stopped at a red light.

“Who were you texting this morning?” I asked. Deryk looked at me.

“No one special.” He said. I saw his face, he was blushing slightly.

“Sure, do you have a girlfriend?” I asked.

“No.” He said quietly.

“Deryk, I know when you’re lying, answer honestly, before I look at your eyes.” I said.

“Ok, fine. No I don’t have a girlfriend, but I do like someone.” He said.

“What’s her name?” I asked.

“Casey.” He said. Ben leaned forward.

“Casey Johnson?” He asked.

“No, Casey Wilde.” He said. Ben nodded.

“She’s pretty.” He said. Deryk chuckled.

“I know. Hence why I like her.” He said. I laughed and pulled up to the school.

“Have fun. Me and dad should meet this Casey girl.” I said.

“Maybe.” Deryk answered and got out. I pulled back onto the street and stopped behind a car. I waited before going. I’m hungry, McDonalds, here I come. I drove to the McDonalds and went through drive-through.

“Hi, welcome to McDonalds, what can we get you?” I heard through the speaker.

“Um, five breakfast burritos, two egg McMuffins, and two Root Beers.” I said. The person rang it up.

“Alright your total is $19.04. Please pull up to the second window.” The lady said. I pulled forward and got to the second window. I handed the girl my credit card and waited. She handed it back.

“It’ll be just a minute.” She said. I nodded. I put the card away and heard my phone vibrating. I grabbed it and it was a call from Ryan. I hit answer and put it to my ear.

“Hello.” I said.

“Hey, um, I took Jace’s temp, and he has a temp of 103.2.” He said.

“Awesome, has he thrown up at all?” I asked.

“Once, but not anymore, he’s sleeping on the couch right now.” Ryan answered.

“Ok, well, I’m getting food for us, and I’ll bring it home and we’ll eat and take him to the doctors.” I said.

“Alright.” He said and the lady opened the window. I grabbed the bag and two sodas and left.

“I’m leaving McDonalds now, I’ll be home in about five-ish minutes.” I said.

“Ok, by Karli.” Ryan said and hung up. I set my phone down and got onto the road. I drove home and left the car out of the garage. I walked inside and saw Jace on the couch, his face slightly red and he was shaking.

“He has fever chills.” I said. I set the bag down and grabbed the throw on the back of the couch, it has holes, and put it over Jace. I took the food to the kitchen and saw Ryan on my laptop.

“You get the burritos.” I said and grabbed the McMuffins. I set a soda in front of him and sat down.

“Wonder what’s up with Jace.” I said.

“I don’t know. He probably has the flu or something.” He said. I nodded and pulled my good leg up. I took a bite of my McMuffin and chewed.

“So, Deryk likes this one girl.” I said. Ryan looked at me.

“Oh really, what’s her name?” He asked.

“He said Casey Wilde.” I said. Ryan nodded.

“Nice name.” He said. I nodded. I finished my first McMuffin and heard Jace crying out. I got up and walked into the living room and saw Jace laying there, crying, and throw up in front of him, on the couch and floor.

“Great.” I mumbled.

“Ryan get in here.” I said. Ryan walked in and sighed.

“I’ll clean him up, you clean the floor, we need to get him to the doctors.” I said and carried Jace upstairs to the bathroom. He cried and held his mouth. I got him to the toilet just in time. He threw up a little bit and then leaned back. I got him in the tub and washed him up and wrapped a towel around him. I brought him to his room and got him changed and walked back downstairs. Ryan was scrubbing the couch.

“This is really hard to get out.” He said.

“Spray some of that super cleaning stuff on it and let it sit.” I said. He nodded and walked out and came back in with the bottle. He sprayed it and stood. He walked out and I rubbed Jace’s back as he cried a little. Ryan came back in after about five minutes and wiped down the couch.

“See, it worked, let’s go.” I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter. Sorry for the long absence. I have just been so focused on school. But hopefully I can get more out tomorrow!

Comment/Subscribe/Promote

© 2012 Dallas Bryher All Rights Reserved