Status: Still a work in progress.

Juvie in New Jersey

A New Start to Everything

"Arniah Cherry Catoma and Fate Helena Broren are free to go. They will return to court in six months for further hearings and progress updates. We will have a very close eye on the both of you, ladies. Court adjourned."

"Finally!" I almost screamed and dragged Fate out of the courtroom. I took a deep, deep breath and looked at Fate. "How's it feel to be free?"

"Free..." She took a deep breath and looked at me with tears in her eyes. "My parents disowned me. My grandparents are dead. All my aunts and uncles in this state and the next hate my guts. I have no home to go to. No idea where my next meal is coming from. I have nothing," she whispered.

"You have me," I said gently. "We're sisters. We're gonna get a rundown apartment together. We'll pretend like we rule the world."

She laughed. "No. You have parents at home. I couldn't ask you to do that for me."

"Then don't. Look, I don't plan on going back to public school. I can get as good a job and college with homeschool. I know programs that hire delinquents. C'mon, Fate. Just one word. Say yes, and we'll go to the bank. I have enough money for some downtown rat house, a couple extra dead-bolts, and a few little decorations to jazz it up. Fate, just agree," I begged her.

She stood quiet before nodding solemnly then smiling. "I must be an idiot for saying this, but okay. Let's do it."

I smiled and hugged her, squealing in excitement, before dragging her down the street. It was time for a new start to everything.