Status: Still a work in progress.

Juvie in New Jersey

Are You Always So Jekyll and Hyde?

It had been one party. Just one.

I had one beer. Just one.

I fired one shot. Just one.

"He stood up and pulled out a gun. Nataha's boyfriend tackled him, and he snapped out of it. Me? I blanked. I didn't know the gun was down. Natasha tried... She tried to stop me. I turned the gun. Pulled the trigger. I killed my best friend. I annhialated the only person who ever cared."

"So that's what the nightmares are about?" Arniah asked gingerly. I nodded. She pulled me closer. "Well, you regret it, right?"

I stared at her dumbfounded. "Of course! What kind of stupid-"

"There. You regret it. You're sorry. That's it."

I paused. I thought. I tore away from her. "What?! You're kidding, right? 'That's it?' I don't know how psycho you really are, but you don't get it! I killed my only bit of family! And that's all you can say?!"

I stomped back to my bed and turned away from her. "Some friend you are," I whispered to the darkness.

Darkness had been the only thing I could ever count on.

I heard Arniah lay down, and I imagine she was staring at the ceiling from the way her voice bounced off the cold walls and back to my ears in a soft whisper I struggled to hear.

[c]"When your heart's a shattered mess,
And you've got nothing left,
When you're down and think you're out,
And your soul can't take another round,
When nothing seems tight and the pieves won't fit,
And sunset is about to hit,
When you have nothing left but you,
No friends, no family to help you through,
But you pick yourself up, carry the pieces on,
That's when they know. They finally know you're strong.
Live and let live, forgive but don't forget.
Fight hard. Play harder. Live without regret.
People will talk down on you,
But they don't see the you that's true.
So when you're down, but surely not out,
Believe beyond the shadow of a doubt.
Wipe the sweat off your brow,
Lift your head, scream to the world,
'How do you like me now?'"
[/c]

I sat up and stared dead at her. For a minute, I didn't know what to say.

As if reading my thoughts, she sat up and stared dead at me. "When you've sunken so low, that you can reach up and hit Rock Botton, honey, that's it. What's done is done. You can't bring her back crying."

My jaw dropped open. She was so caring a minute ago. I couldn't help but crack a smile when I asked, "Are you always so Jekyll and Hyde?"

She smiled slightly and moved next to me. "No. But it gets my point across. Listen, I know how it feels to have no one. But you're gonna bounce back. They haven't injected you yet."

I shuttered and stared at the wall across the room. My eyes went vacant as I remembered the sound of the bullet peeling through her flesh, the scream she uttered before she died. I clenched my temples as my breathing became shallow. Natasha's words started drowning everything out, "Fate, stop! Please!" I began to cry and slowly everything faded.