Punk's Not Dead

Long Way Home

I felt my heart sink, sink deeper than it ever had before as I saw her. It was too hard for me to look at her in that state, with wires and tubes here and there. Her face was bruised, purple and yellow, her head wrapped in several layers of gauze and bandages, with darkened spots of a crimson color. Her arm was in a cast and sling. If it hadn't been for the heart monitor's incessant beeping, you would have thought her dead. Tremors coursed my body as I felt my legs give way and I crumbled to the floor, weeping hysterically. In my mind the only thing I could think was, I'm going to KILL Sid Vicious.

It had taken me a lot of time, coaxing and soft words whispered into my ear for me to gather myself and to be composed again.

Rotten had carried me out of Maxi's room and we were now seated in the hallway, in those super uncomfortable hospital chairs. I stiffled my sobs and burried my face into Rotten's chest, his shirt already soaked from my previous tears. He stroked my hair softly.

Weirdly enough, I was thinking about how I never thought Rotten actually had a soft side to him, he had never let it show before and yet, here he was caressing my hair and trying to sooth me from my pain, that I am sure he also shared. I tore my face away from his shirt and looked up at him. His face was calm, but in his eyes I could read the pain and the worry like it was writen there in ink. He returned the gaze and gave me a reassuring smile.

I never once felt anything more than friendship for Rotten, but at this moment, with him looking deep within my soul with those teal-blue eyes, I felt my stomach flutter with butterflies. I couldn't help but to give him a half-hearted smile, as I raised my hand to caress his cheek. He bowed his head to meet mine and his lips brushed mine ever so softly.

A shiver ran through my spine, but all happiness washed away from me as I saw Dr. Sven approach us. I instantly got up and anger seered through me like a hot iron.

"Ay, you better not be here to tell us some more fucking bad news! You said she was in fucking good hands!" I screamed at him, my words dripping with hate.

Dr. Sven remained calm, obviously used to this kind of reaction and he gestured for us to sit down. "I came to give you some news about Miss Maxigan, yes..." My heart sank to my feet and a sudden urge to vomit overwhelmed me. I clung to Rotten for support. "But this is good news, not at all what you were thinking, Miss...?"

I sighed in relief, "Lilith."
"Well, Lilith, I came to tell you that Maxigan has already opened her eyes, she's not concious at the moment, and it may take days or weeks even before she becomes fully concious, but the fact that she has already come to, proves that she will be able to make a full recovery. She's a very strong willed little lady, because after what she just went through, in all honesty, not many people actually come back." His too-cheerful voice was so phony, but just the thought of Maxi being able to recover fully brought tears of joy to my eyes.

"DID YOU HEAR THAT ROTTEN? SHE'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT!!!" I jumped into his arms, almost causing him to keel over, and kissed him passionately. He looked dazed and a wide grin played his lips.

"I think we ought to go out and get a drink, m'love. We both need it, our nerves are shot and well, we might as well celebrate a bit." I nodded and turned to Dr. Sven.

"Can we come back to see her tonight?" "Not tonight, unfortunately, we're going to be running some tests on her and she needs to rest up as much as possible. But if you two want to swing by in the morning, if you would like. Just leave your name and number with the nurse at the front desk and we will give you a call if anything else happens."

We thank the doctor and give our names to the receptionist and head home for a well deserved rest. One thing is still buzzing in my mind as we stroll, hand-in-hand down the darkened streets. Where the fuck is Sid?