Punk's Not Dead

It's My Life.

Christmas Eve 1972

I sat down next to my father, glass of whiskey in hand, smiling at my parents. This was the last Christmas we had spent together. Sid and his mother had joined us. It was nice to see them actually spend Christmas with someone. My mother was making pastries, even if it was almost midnight. My father had been heavily drinking, and he was also allowing Sid and I to have a huge glass of whiskey. when my mother protested, he told her that it would toughen me up.

Finally, it hit midnight, and Sid and I pleaded to open the gifts we had gotten for each other. My mother sighed, but my father allowed it. Sid's mother seemed very pleased.

I went into the closet and drug out a huge box. Sid would have no clue what it was until he opened it. Sid handed me a small box. It was at least a hundred times smaller than the one I had gotten for him. He blushed instantly.

"Open yours first, please." Sid pleaded like a child.

I tore open the small package, and opened the top part. My gift was a gorgeous silver chain with a pentagram pendant. I smiled, hugged Sid closely to me and kissed the top of this head. He helped me put it on, which made our mothers coo. They seemed to think Sid and I were perfect for each other.

Sid finally got to opening his. He was very bewildered and joyous to see that I had gotten him a second hand bass. He was dumbfounded actually.

"Wow, Maxi. How'd you get this for me?" he asked, smiling widely.

"Ah...well...-" I was cut off by his mother smacking the back of his head.

"John, what do you say?!" she barked.

"Sorry...thank you, Maxigan."

My mother scoffed. She hated when people called me Maxigan. It was a name I invented when these girls in my class made fun of my French name. My real name is Madeleine, but I hated it. I never allowed anyone but my mother to call me that.

"Well, if you want, you kids can open one more, then it's off to bed!" my mother informed us.

I grabbed my second smallest box and opened it. Inside was a pair of car keys. I looked at my parents very confused.

"Next year, we teachin' you how to drive, dear. It'll be real neat. I got you that car for a cheap price, thanks to Toby down at the factory. Anyway, that is your car, love. No one else." my father explained to me.

Sid's mom handed him a gift. He tore it open, and found a bag of cocaine. My mother looked very angry.

"What is the meaning of this, Mrs. Beverly?" my mother asked, freaking out.

That was the last time Sid and his mother came to celebrate Christmas with us...it was also the night my mother left...