Status: Completed

Lucky Now.

Avalanche.

Although Garrett had never promised Leah he would make it to her graduation, a part of him just assumed it would happen. That he would show up, surprise her, and make her completely happy. Of course it never goes how he wants it to. He was pacing outside of the bands van like a mad man. Angry with himself more than anything. He hated being that guy. He hated disappointing her although she knew he probably wouldn't be able to make it anyways.

"Hey, you ok?" Pat asked and Garrett looked up to see the boy and Kennedy cautiously stepping closer.

"No. Of course not. Yet another main event in my girl's life and I'm miles away."

Kennedy let out a sigh, "Gar, come on. Don't beat yourself up over that. She knew. She isn't upset."

"Doesn't matter! I can't keep doing this!"

Pat looked at the boy with a raised eyebrow, "What are you saying?"

Garrett let out a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair, his worst thoughts feeding the pain, "I'm going to let her go..." He whispered the words alone causing his chest to ache.

"What? No you're not." Kennedy chimed in, "You're not going to do that to her. You love her and she sure as hell loves you."

Garrett shook his head, "Some times that isn't enough! All I do is break promises to her, never see her, make her hurt! It isn't fair to her Kennedy!" He shouted now annoyed about how they assumed he was just being selfish.

"So what? Going to just ignore her? Break it off over the phone? Yeah, wait until John hears about that." Kennedy responded before leaving the boys alone. Garrett groaned and leaned against the van as Pat just stared at him.

"Do you love her?" Pat asked calmly. Knowing that if Garrett was going to tell anyone the truth it would be him.

"Yes. Of course I do. This is why I have to do this." He whispered hanging his head as he felt tears threaten his eyes.

"I love her and things will not get any better and I want her to be happy." He added, "is that so hard to understand?"

"No, I guess not." Pat responded crossing his arms as he studied his sad friend, "Just really think about it Gar because you're going to break her heart as well."

"Yeah, well this is breaking mine."

Pat shrugged not sure what exactly to tell him since he himself had never been in this situation.

"Garrett!" John roared as he stomped to where the boy stood and Garrett shot up instantly.

"I swear on your fucking life Garrett! You break up with her I'll kill you! She hasn't done anything wrong! Stop being so self centered! Only you are so bent out of shape about everything!" John shouted which took Garrett by surprise. He knew John cared about Leah, but this was a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, John knew he sounded crazy but he didn't care. He liked Leah as much as he liked the boys and he wasn't going to have her heart broken because of Garrett's insecurities.

"This has nothing to do with you..." Garrett mumbled.

John glared at the boy sternly as Garrett spoke again, "I..."

"Save it. If you're going to do it then do it now. Don't drag it out." John snapped before spinning around in his cowboy boots and heading back into the small place they had already played at. He needed a drink before they left.

"He's right. Now or never." Jared chimed in and Garrett breathed in as his mind raced. This was not going to be an easy task and he in fact didn't want to do it but it was for the best for her.

"Don't do it today. Wait until tomorrow. She's happy today. Don't ruin it you asshole." Kennedy added before following in John's path. When did they all become so protective of the girl?

He looked down at his phone to see her name across his screen and a grin hit his lips at the thought of how her name in his phone was changed so long ago. Seemed like a different life.

'so this is boring without you guys! But hey, my parents showed up. Enough of the heart attacks for me! I miss you and hope you're having a great time. Loveyou.'

He couldn't even find the strength to write back and he felt even more guilty. He shoved the phone into his pocket and climbed into the van to wait for the guys. He just wanted to be alone.

His phone vibrated in his pocket as he relaxed his head on the seat. He knew it was Leah simply because he never did not respond. She was probably worried and he instantly reached in his pocket. He didn't want her in more distress. He dialed her familiar number and she answered on the third ring.

"Oh hey stranger." She said happily and for some reason hearing her voice made him feel a bit better.

"Hey baby, how was your day?" He asked softly as he fiddled with the hole in the knee of his skinny jeans.

"Pretty great actually. High school is officially over."

He chuckled, "I know. I'm glad everything went good."

"Yeah, are you ok?" She asked noticing the odd tone in his words.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Yeah you're lying."

He let out a sigh, "Am not..."

"Did someone piss you off? John make you mad?"

"No. Lee, just drop it." He stated and the line went silent. Although he didn't raise his voice he had never talked to her like that and she honestly was a bit taken off guard.

He breathed in as nerves hit his stomach, "I love you so much Leah." He whispered which made her even more confused. The way this conversation had went was just too difficult to understand.

"Garrett, what's going on?" She asked seriously and he grabbed at his hair, as he was hit with emotions.

"Look I've got to go..." He cowardly responded and she grew frustrated, "Whatever. Bye."

"Whatever bye?" He asked noticing the attitude in her words. Why was she mad?

"Yeah, why call me if you don't want to talk to me?"

"No one said I didn't."

"Well clearly something is up!"

"I just have a lot on my mind." He responded and she rolled her eyes although he couldn't see her.

"Since when do you not want to tell me about it?"

"Since it is about you." He mumbled as his forehead hit the window he was next to. This was not going to go nicely.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you're always on my mind. Just, I don't know Leah, things have been getting to me. Its not you it's me. Honest. I just, I think it would be best for you if we broke up." He said and it felt like he was in a bad dream he couldn't wake up from.

"What?" She choked out as her chest seemed to tighten.

"I'm sorry baby. I love you so much. I just, feel like you deserve someone else. Someone who you can have around." He said as tears threatened his eyes.

"How can you tell me what I want or need Garrett?" She snapped as tears fell instantly.

"I mean if you don't want to be with me then just say it." She added through her tears as she couldn't decide whether she was more angry or hurt at this point.

"You know I want to be with you. I love you."

"Apparently not." She said and before he could speak the line went dead and he hung his head as tears spilled over his cheeks. He didn't know what was wrong or right at this point.

The guys finally made their way back to the van not even an hour later. Garrett was still curled up in the back and John eyed him as he got in, "you did it?" He asked bluntly and Garrett shrugged. John stifled a laugh, "You're pathetic."

Garrett glared at the boy angrily, "Shut up! This is none of your business!"

"Yeah it does! Leah is my business!" He shouted and Kennedy groaned, "Guys..."

"No! Garrett is a piece of shit! I know we may not be the greatest of guys, but I always thought you were. Apparently you're just like me." John said before turning in his seat as he crossed his arms. Garrett just stared at the back of the boy's head as his words seemed to hang in the air.

"Yet even I couldn't do that to Leah." John added on and Pat shot the boy beside him a look. Garrett sighed as Pat patted his shoulder.

"It's done now. There's no going back." Garrett grumbled as he hung his head. A feeling of regret surfacing in his stomach. Maybe this wasn't the right decision. Maybe John was right on some level. Maybe he was the only one paranoid...
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...bet you didn't see that coming!

As above_so below, I don't even know how to respond to that comment...haha.