O, Anna Sun.

annalise.

I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling as the breeze filtered through the thin lace curtains. The windows were too big and I couldn't shut them alone (months of eating leftover scraps tend to do that to a person) and I didn't want to ask any of the Oakleys to do it for me either. I wasn't used to sleeping in, so it was hard for me to lay in bed all morning. But I did - mostly to oblige them since they thought I needed to rest or something.

But that morning, however, I had quite enough of moping about in bed and watching my memories play like an old film reel in my head. I had to do something, even if it was just sitting in the garden or something. I couldn't stay inside anymore. So, I got up, I set a dress, a slip, and some stockings out, grabbed a towel, and marched into the bathroom. It was white and a soft, baby pink, smelled like powder and just a little bit like bleach. I glanced at my dark roots in the mirror hanging on the wall, sighing.

Blonde really didn't suit me at all. I missed my brown hair.

The tub was white and had a pink curtain hanging on a golden rod with thick white circles. I drew some water and undressed as the tub filled slowly, folding my nightgown and robe before setting them down on the cold, white floor. I poured in some bath salts and shut the water off, dipping a tentative foot in. It was a little hotter than I was used to (but then again it wasn't like I was used to having a nice clean bathroom at my disposal anymore either) but I paid it no mind as I eased myself in. I hissed, closing my eyes as I grabbed a bar of soap and my wash cloth. I moved slowly, humming softly underneath my breath.

After I washed myself, I unpinned my hair and ducked down into the water, closing my eyes. My thick hair stuck to my face as I came back up, gasping for breath as I pushed my bangs out of my eyes. I scrubbed some of Savannah's shampoo into it, smiling a little because it smelled like roses and it reminded me of the perfume Elias bought Elysa before the war. After I rinsed it all out, I unplugged the drain and stepped out, wrapping the towel around myself. I gathered my clothes as I shuffled to the mirror tiredly, rubbing my nose.

I was starting to gain back some of the color in my cheeks (they stuffed me to the brim with food three times a day and I couldn't make myself tell them not to) and a bit of the weight I had lost back home. I hoped my sisters were doing alright.

Would I ever see them again?

And then I walked out the bathroom and bumped into something solid. I thought it must have been the wall or something and then I saw a pair of big green eyes and screamed, running down the hallway.

"Hey! I'm sorry! I didn't see anything, honest!"

It was some boy, and I was naked (well not really but still) and I was mortified. I shut my door behind me loudly, leaning against it as I struggled to catch my breath. I guess I was just scared because I didn't know anybody but the Oakleys and he caught me off guard. I struggled to dress with my shaky hands, blushing even more when I heard everyone rush upstairs and start yelling over each other. I buttoned my blue dress and pressed my warm hands to my cheeks, waiting for them all to leave so I could go downstairs to eat some breakfast.

It seems as though they had other ideas.

There was a timid knock on my door.

"Anna? Hey, it's me, Elias." I bit my lip, staring at my door, unsure if I should open it. "Are you decent? Can we come in?"

"Er... oui! Yes, er, you come in." I stood there awkwardly, smoothing down the skirt of my dress nervously.

"What happened?"

"I, er, I..." I paused, trying to think of how to phrase what I wanted to say. "I... scared? Um - I - I was wash? Avec, er... soap and water?" I gestured, rubbing my hands on my face. "And, er, um, Monsieur... and, um, door? And I - I, um? I do not... see - no, no, I not know Monsieur." I nod, smiling sheepishly. "I am sorry."

"No, no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you - I just - I was looking for Athena and then - "

And it turned into mush because he was talking too fast and I was too busy trying not to melt under his stare. He was tall, sort of, around Elias' height, with curly brown hair and long eyelashes and a small black birthmark next to his lip.

"Finn," Elias interjected, shaking his head. "She doesn't speak English. This is Elysa's sister, the one I've been telling you about. I wanted to introduce you guys proper, but seems you've already taken care of that one, huh?"

"I'm Finn," he said, laughing as he held out his hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, Annalise."

"Enchante," I say politely, then shake my head, shaking his head. "I, er, happy to meet you, Monsieur Finn."

And he just smiled and laughed, glancing at Elias.

"Oh, she's gonna fit in just fine."



I was lying in the garden, between the fresh clean sheets hanging from the clotheslines. I was sitting with Elya's old workbook, trying to make sense of her sloppy cursive and weird notes. The sun was shining brightly, tickling my bare neck. There wasn't a cloud to be found and the wind was playing with my hair, blowing gently. It was nice, being outside without being afraid of someone dragging me away for no good reason.

Athena was gone, off at her dance class. Elias was at the post office, and Savannah was looking for me inside because she wanted to take me shopping. (I wasn't crazy about going into town and meeting more people. I was perfectly fine spending the rest of however long the war would last in their yard, baking in the sun and trying to teach myself to speak English.

"Boo," he whispered quietly.

"Monsieur Finn!" I said, jumping a little as I glanced at him. He kneeled next to me and smiled, eating some gum. (When was the last time I had had a piece of gum and blown a bunch of bubbles?)

"You can just call me Finn, you know."

"Finn." I paused, frowning. "Like the fish, n'est pas?" I flapped my hand around and he laughed.

"Yeah, Anna. Like the fish." He peered over my shoulder, raising an eyebrow. "So, what are you up to?"

"Up to?" I asked, frowning at him. "What... what do... what mean you?" Finn smiled a little, pushing some of his hair behind his ears.

"What are you doing?"

"I hide. Shh," I say, bringing a finger to my lips as I hear the back door swing open. "Quiet."

"From who?" I covered his mouth with my hand as I saw Savannah and her sandals moving slowly through the yard.

"Annie? Hey, Annie, where are you? Eli left us the car, you know? And I'm not that bad at drivin', I think."

Finn took my hand from his mouth and I kept my finger against my lips, pleading with him silently.

"Annie?" Savannah asked hopefully. I could hear the frown in her voice.

He nodded his head towards the road, tugging me with him. I looked back at my books and he shook his head, smiling mischievously.

"C'mon," he said softly. Savannah started turning back into the house, huffing as she slammed the screen door shut behind her.

And we ran, and we ran, and we ran - and we didn't stop until we were well on our way on the dirt road. Finn and I doubled over, letting go of each other. He started laughing, head hanging between his knees as he wheezed, cracking up.

"Savannah will be... angry?" I half ask, wondering if that's the right word. He stood up, stretching as we walked along the road.

"No. She'll be mad, for a little bit. And then she'll get over it." He shrugged, glancing up at the sky. "Why were you hiding anyway?"

"She... um... buy the clothes?" I lifted my skirt a little. "Savannah does not... feel good with this." I bite my lip. "But I like my - my clothes, so I hide." I shrug. "Not good at, um, what is the word?"

"Shopping?"

"Oui! Shopping." I nod and store the word away for future reference. Shopping. I couldn't remember the last time I had gone out to buy much of anything - my sisters gave me their old dresses or my mother would sew them for us sometimes, if she had time. I wondered if shopping with Savannah would be fun. "Why... you not stay... you visit Oakley family?"

"I was going to see if Eli was home, but then I remembered that he had class today, and then I ran into you."

"You did not run into me. I am okay. I only scared, a little." I smiled and he laughed, nodded.

"It's an expression."

"America has weird expressions, no?"

"I guess," he says, shrugging. "Hey, are you hungry?" Finn walked over to a wooden fence, climbing over it easily. I frowned at him, watching as he walked over to a tree and picked an apple off a low hanging branch, rubbing it against his shirt. He spit out his gum, sniffling a little. He glanced back at me and watched me as he bit into his apple. "What?"

"Is this yours?"

"Isn't it?" He shrugged. "C'mon." He held out a hand and helped me climb over, catching me by my waist as I almost tripped over my shoe laces. "Easy. I live here. No one's gonna say anything. Just me and my little sister and Ma." We walked up the hill to his house, a small little house that reminded me of the cottage my sisters and I had to leave behind. There was a small little dog running around, tied to a rope near the water spout. He barked excitedly, wagging his tail when Finn scratched him behind the ears. Finn tossed the core of his apple in the tin garbage can, wiping his hands against his pants. "Eli sung your praises and now Ma's dyin' to meet ya."

"Your mother is dying?" I asked, eyes wide.

"It's another one of those weird expressions." He shrugged, walking into the kitchen. He didn't even take off his shoes. (I thought people took their shoes off when they walked into American homes all the time because Daphne always made her children and her husband take off their shoes before they came in.) "Ma? Hey, Ma, I've got company!"

A middle aged woman came down the stairs slowly, groaning as she carried a basket of clothes with her. She had short curly brown hair and the same birthmark Finn had. She set the basket down on the cluttered table, wiping her wet hands on her apron.

"How do you do?" she asked politely.

"I am... I am well, thank you." I smiled and she returned it, untying her yellowing apron. "I am Anna."

"So I've been told. Make yourself at home. Are you hungry? Would you like some lunch?"

Why was everyone trying to feed me? Did I really look that skinny?

I couldn't say no - I didn't want to be rude - and I soon found myself staring down at a plate of chicken and fruit salad and potatoes, all fighting for space on my plate.

"And don't be afraid to ask for more, y'hear?" she offered politely, pouring us all glasses of water.

"Ma."

"What?"

"Merci beau - um, thank you." I nodded, unsure how to tackle my plate. I'd have to eat lunch at Daphne's too, probably, I thought with a groan. All this rich food is going to end up making me sick one of these days.

After lunch, she gives me a plate to take home (and I don't know why, because there is quite a lot of food at the Oakleys - too much, actually) and sends us on our way. Finn drives the car, an older model than the ones the Oakleys have, but it's comfortable nonetheless. The road's empty, anyway.

"So, Ma likes you," Finn says conversationally. "Shame Olive wasn't there, though. She wanted to meet you too." He glances at me. "That's my sister." We fall into silence again. "Next time I take you out to lunch, it'll be somewhere fancy-like, classy with napkin holders and salt shakers, I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's back.