Status: It's done, guys! <3

Accidents Happen

Chapter 26

Nicholas’s neighborhood was quite different from what I imagined. I figured his house would be at least a fourth of what Gavin had, but it wasn’t. But honestly, it made him more attractive to me. I always said that finding out how a person lives can change your perspective on them. I had more respect for those with less; the people with more always had to gain my respect by being a respectable person, which they usually weren’t.

I looked over at him in the driver’s seat, hand rubbing over the steering wheel. He looked a little droopy at the moment, like something had deflated his ego. And I realized why.

Sometimes people believed they only way they could be happy was to fit in, and the only way they knew how was to be like everyone else. Since we lived in a town of snobs, he of course had to dress and act like one.

“I had a good time tonight.” I told Nicholas, trying to give him a little boost.

“Me too.” He smiled a devastating smile. It didn’t make my heart race or anything, but it did stir up something. Suddenly, he went close mouthed, leaning in. My eyes flickered shut in anticipation, until I felt his lips on mine.

It seemed, especially in that moment, like such an odd way to show affection. Pressing your lips together? I wondered for a second who ever came up with that idea and how the first recipient reacted. Who patented the kiss and made it the universal sign of ‘I like you as more than a friend’?

I didn’t realize what had really just happened until Nicholas pulled away with a concerned look on his face.

“Are you okay?” He asked, placing a hand on my arm.

“Fine.” I replied, shaking my head, clearing the thoughts.

“Am I going too fast for you?” He asked, eyes widening suddenly. “I didn’t mean to-,”

“No, it’s fine. I’m just a little distracted.” I cut him off. “Can we go in now?”

“Yeah.” He nodded, turning the car off. He got out and I followed him.

Grabbing my hand, he led me up the steps to his front door. He grabbed a key off the top of the door frame, shirt riding up a little to give me a peek at his six pack.

When did I get so shallow?

His sister greeted him by clinging to his leg adorably. He released my hand to pick her up, effortlessly, I might add.

“Meet Cassidy.” He introduced, smiling down at the little girl in his arms. It was like cuteness overload.

An elderly woman appeared in the doorway to what I assumed to be the kitchen, a kind smile on her face.

“Nicky, I see you have a friend.” She motioned to me.

He settled his sister onto his hip, using his free hand to grab mine. Shockwaves spread throughout my arm, but I tried not to show it.

“YaYa, this is Fiona.” He introduced, then turned to me. “Fiona this is YaYa.”

How funny; big, bad, ole’ Nicholas calling his grandmother his YaYa. And she called him Nicky. He didn’t look the least bit embarrassed though, which I found adorable.

YaYa shuffled toward me, arms open. My heart thudded harder when I realized what she was doing. Nicholas dropped my hand, allowing for the full effect. When she finally embraced me, I patted her on the back awkwardly. She did that thing grandmas do where they swing a bit as the squish you. I began to feel her warmth, not only seeping into my clothes, but my chest as well. It was a weird sort of feeling. It made me want to curl up and start sobbing for some reason, but I smiled at her as she pulled away.

“We were just in the middle of making cookies, would you like to help?” She asked, holding me at arm’s length.

Nicholas let his sister slide out of his arms, gripping my hand once again. I felt I should get used to all the touching, but I hadn’t yet. It still came as a shock to me as I gripped back, standing even closer.

“Actually we were just about to-,”

“I’d love to!” I cut him off. I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out what came upon me. But all this warmth and touching put me in a cookie-baking with YaYa kind of mood. Nicholas’s face was shocked, but slowly a grin grew on his lips. He took my shoulders in favor of my hand and lead me into the kitchen.

***

About an hour later, the kitchen was a disaster. I had flour all over my borrowed apron and my face, Nicholas’s doing. There were a few egg shells in my hair, I was sure. Nicholas was a sucky egg cracker, so when he put the batter in the mixer, the little pieces of shell came flying out. YaYa had just shook her head, smiling down at her ingredients.

“Have a cookie.” Cassidy said, handing me a chocolate chip piece of heaven on a napkin.

“Thank you.” I laughed, accepting the spherical treat.

I took a bite, eyes rolling back at the first taste. It was like an explosion of sweetness in my mouth. YaYa added some secret recipes, Nicholas covering my eyes while she poured them in. She explained that it was a family recipe, and that maybe I could have it one day with a wink.

“Oh my god, this is delicious.” I burst out before I could help it. I was being so uncharacteristic today, but I kind of liked it.

“The secret ingredients.” YaYa replied. “I’ll tell you one.”

“Yeah?” I got excited. Nicholas rolled his eyes at me in the corner of the room. He was guarding the pan of cookies. He wasn’t doing a very good job; he’d stolen at least 3.

“Love.” YaYa answered. “That’s what makes it so sweet.”

“And tons of sugar.” Nicholas countered. YaYa whipped him with the hand towel she was holding. I giggled at their antics, highly jealous of their relationship.

She grabbed a brown, paper bag, tossing a row of cookies into it. She handed it to me.

“You are welcome back anytime.” She stated, rubbing my softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww! Cute chapter. I really enjoyed writing this, even though it made ME want to start sobbing. I hope it made you think of your wonderful family (and I get it if it's not so wonderful; you win some, you lose some). You've got a friend in me! I'd love to talk to you guys.. if you wanna message me or whatever ^_^ I love making new friends!

Song of the day:
Alex Day - Good Morning Sunshine
^ A nice feel-good song to go with the chapter :D

~Kylie &lt;3