Status: It's done, guys! <3

Accidents Happen

Chapter 37

"Guess what, Ash." I said, passing him the mashed potatoes. He raised an eyebrow in response. "You're going to the Spring Formal with Landon." I went on in a sing-song voice. He looked across the table at Gavin, who had his hand on my knee as he ate.

Mom made sure he came over for dinner when she found out we were dating through Asher. Luckily she hadn't heard anything else that went on between us because she would have insisted that he wasn't good enough.

"Who is Landon?" Mom asked, but the sparkling in her eyes told me she already knew. Asher cleared his throat.

"He's my boyfriend."

"We'll have to have him over for dinner one of these days.” Mom reserved.

"Taking my sister to the Spring Formal, eh?" He asked, obviously changing the subject as he turned to Gavin. "I'll be watching you."

"Shut up." I chuckled. "What's the worst thing that could happen? That I get pregnant? Oops, too late for that."

We all shared a chuckle. I think everyone just felt considerably better knowing that I could joke about my situation.

"I'll be right back." I said, standing up. Gavin squeezed my knee before withdrawing his hand.

"Where are you going, honey?" My mom asked. "You'd better tell me if something doesn't feel right."

"I'm fine, I just have to pee." I assured with a laugh.

Gavin's POV:

I felt slightly awkward alone with Fiona's family. But either way, this had been a better dinner than any I'd had with my own family so far.

"So." Asher began, putting a forkful of peas into his mouth. "Are you taking good care of my baby sister?"

"Well we've only been dating a week." I replied. "But yes, of course.”

“Asher, leave the boy alone.” Mrs. Malone demanded, giving him a stern look. “I’m sure his intentions are pure considering the circumstances.”

“I’m only doing my job.” He argued. I gave her a thankful smile anyway.

“Maybe I should be watching you with Landon.” I chipped in, trying to play along. I wasn’t very familiar with family banter. “I hear he’s quite the party animal.”

“Hey, I can’t get pregnant either.” Asher countered, grinning.

“But other things can happen.” I said. “Homosexuals run the highest risk for transfer of STI’s.”

His face heated and immediately I regretted saying that. It was obvious that was still a touchy subject with him, not to mention how inappropriate that was for table conversation. Especially while trying to make a good impression on my girlfriend’s mom; I wanted to slap myself.

“What did I miss?” Fiona asked, sitting herself back down.

“Nothing.” Mrs. Malone replied, holding her hand over her mouth like she was stifling laughter. So my comment wasn’t being frowned upon, marking me with a giant black ‘x’? I almost breathed a sigh of relief.

“You should go back with Nicholas, he never fought back.” Asher pouted.

“Nicholas only dated me because Julia Reynolds asked him to.” Fiona explained. “But that’s okay, because I think I liked Gavin pretty much the entire time.” She smiled over at me.

“Gag me.” He mocked.

“Gladly.” She replied, holding up a napkin.

“Enough, you two.” Mrs. Malone broke in. “Do I have to separate you?”

“No.” They grumbled in unison.

I decided that I needed to come over for dinner more. I was having too much fun just watching the two interact. I was completely and utterly jealous of their relationship. I missed Gideon, but it was hard with what he did to Fiona.

And I knew that raising that baby would anchor her to those thoughts. Every time it cried, needed a diaper change, or to be fed, she would resent the man who forced it on her. But at the same time, I knew she’d love the baby with all her heart, and come to find the good in the situation. Like she always did.

I just wanted so badly to be a part of the baby’s life. I, like Fiona, wanted to make sure nothing bad happened to it and it got the proper treatment. My family is stable enough in every way to care for a baby, too.

***

“Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Malone. It was delicious.” I said as I helped her clear the table.

“I’m glad you likes it. I usually burn things pretty badly.” She replied with a smile. “The kids always make fun of me. But it’s okay; I know they’re joking.”

“Well it was nice feeling like part of a close knit family.” I admitted, setting the dishes carefully in the sink. I felt a hand softly rubbing against my back and I looked behind me to find Fiona.

“You’re part of this family now.” She and her mom said in unison. I almost laughed at the look they gave each other afterwards.

“That means a lot to me.” I replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Gavin's POV. Anyway.. hope you liked. Please comment! And OMIGOSH you guys. 82 subscribers? HOLY FUDGEMONKIES. I love you guys SO freaking much. Anyway..

Song of the day:
Eric Hutchinson - Watching You Watch Him

~Kylie <3