Status: It's done, guys! <3

Accidents Happen

Chapter 39

REALLY IMPORTANT: Please take a look at A Captured Heart, Stitches, and Effed Up. I'm trying to figure out which one to start next after this, since it's nearing the end. Please vote for whichever one you like best!

“So you must be the father.” Doctor Granger said to Gavin, giving a smile and offering her hand. He shook her hand but looked at me, questioning what to say. Honestly, I was a bit put off that she was so bent on knowing who the father was, but she seemed like a nice enough lady, so I let it go. How was she to know?

But then I realized that she that she probably drew that conclusion based on the unlikely circumstances that I had another brother who looked nothing like me. And because we walked in holding hands and Gavin’s parents came to join this time.

“Yes, he is.” I replied, smiling over at him. He looked shocked, but I shook my head when she wasn’t looking to let him know that that wasn’t just my way of letting him be the father. His face dropped, but I was pretty sure I was the only one who saw.

“Could you hop up for me and lay back?” She asked while getting the equipment ready.

Gavin helped me up but didn’t let go of my hand as I lay back, feeling like a beached whale. I took a deep breath.

I hadn’t thought of it last time I was here because I was so overwhelmed with the shock and, well, everything else, but a few things had happened during the pregnancy that hadn’t been too great. For example, the time I got drunk, coincidentally the night I was ‘pushed down the stairs.’ Not to mention the sleep loss during finals week, plus the heavy backpack that came with it.

All I hoped was that my baby hadn’t mutated.

“Alright, here comes the fun part.” Dr. Granger chirped, lifting my shirt up to expose my stomach. I stared down at the lump, thinking of the tiny human being inside.

It was crazy to think something had been growing inside me and I hadn’t known. Something that would become an independent person with their own thoughts and ideas. Something that I could very well unknowingly screw up and cause eternal pain.

I took another breath, forcing the thoughts to escape with my exhale. I looked at the screen, not sure what I was seeing, but it made me happy anyway. I finally had someone who needed me, instead of me being dependant.

The frigid gel on my belly brought me back from the thoughts. I shivered, closing my eyes momentarily. I felt a soft hand brushing my hair back and I looked up to find Gavin, smiling like a proud parent. He looked up at the screen, probably feeling the way I did.

“Everything’s looking good, Ms. Malone.” Dr. Granger reported.

“That’s good.” I replied.

“Have you got any names picked out yet?” She asked conversationally.

Everyone in the room looked to me expectantly, but I just shrunk back.

“I’ve got a few more months.” I responded defensively.

***

Gavin was facing a final test when it came to being a good boyfriend. I was spending the night at his house for the second time… in his bed. Again. But this time it was going to be less weird.

I stepped through the door after changing into my nightwear, catching him fluffing the pillows and such. He glanced up at me, doing a double take. My heart nearly dropped, only imagining what he was thinking. I waited for it…

“Just as I thought you couldn’t get any cuter. Those glasses are adorable.” He shook his head with a silly grin. That was definitely not the response I was expecting, but it sure made my cheeks red. “C’mere.” He opened his arms, motioning me in.

I closed the distance, stepping into his arms. I hugged back as best as I could, but the little bump between us kept us a little farther away that I would’ve liked. We both stared down at it, chuckling.

I yawned, sleepiness overcoming me.

“Come on, sleepyhead.” He said, moving an arm up to wrap around my shoulders as he lead me to the bed. I crawled in and felt the bed dip behind me as he joined. I felt his head rest on my shoulder as he snaked an arm around my stomach, rubbing circles into it and leaving behind a trail of tingles. “You’re the most beautiful pregnant woman I’ve ever seen.”

“How many have you seen?” I asked, laughing at the odd comment.

“Not many, but enough to know that you’re the most beautiful.” He assured, breath sneaking out as he laughed into my neck.

“You’re the most handsome rich boy I’ve ever met.” I replied. “With the best personality by far.”

“I’d better be.” He huffed.

All joking aside, this moment was really tender. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to end my day than curled up with my boyfriend. A boy whom I thought I would never even be friends with, let alone possibly readying myself to raise a baby with. I sighed lightly to myself.

“I love you so much.” Gavin proclaimed, filling the silence that fell. I turned myself around so that I was facing him. His green eyes were shining in the moonlight that broke in in strips through the blinds. I could tell he was being genuine, but I couldn’t bring myself to say it back; I had a hard enough time saying it to Asher.

He raised his hand from under the covers, taking my chin in his hand lightly, pulling my face to his. Our lips touched and I didn’t think about how strange a gesture it was, or worry about how cold my feet must have been as they touched his, or try to pull away.

My heart thudded and my stomach twisted in an amazing way. I was out of breath by the time we pulled away.

“I’m sorry, was that too soon?” He asked, eyebrows scrunching as his hands went to his face.

“No, you’re fine.” I told him. “It was amazing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Whew! A kind of long chapter! Anyway.. I've been a bit busy with my other story. And then I was looking through my documents, trying to see if I could delete any, and I came across the ones listed at the top. PLEASE go vote for which ever one you like best!