Status: It's done, guys! <3

Accidents Happen

Chapter 9

Gavin’s POV:

“Fiona’s a riot!” Blake commented as we watched her dancing to the house music that blasted through the room. I wasn’t sure what dance moves she was using, or where she learned them, but it was funny to watch. Especially in her tipsy state. I wondered what else she had in her arsenal of dance moves…

I felt kind of bad for getting her drunk, the good girl she seemed to be, but she really was a fun drunk. I figured she’d never actually been this intoxicated before, but it looked like she was enjoying herself. I also felt kind of like a pervert, suggesting that she stay at my place tonight, but that’s what friends did, right? No matter what gender. It wasn’t like she was going to sleep in my bed or anything; I’d lend her the guest bedroom. No one would even know. My dad was on a business trip and my mom was having a Girls’ Night Out and probably would be too drunk when she got home to notice.

This was going to be fun. Totally not inappropriate.

“Dance with me.” Fiona commanded, grabbing me by the wrist and yanking me to her. She flung herself back, hair escaping her already messy bun as she shook herself like she was having a seizure. For a moment I was concerned that she may have epilepsy and the flashing lights had sent her into a frenzy, but when she popped up, she began fist pumping. She jumped up and down crazily, looking cute as ever.

I mentally slapped myself. You don’t like her. You just haven’t had too much action this past month, you’re getting restless, I told myself. Fiona is friendly, not the type of girl you want to be with.

“I’m getting another drink.” She stated, plunging into the masses of people in search of the kitchen. I went after her, apologizing to everyone she assaulted. I almost laughed at how tipsy she was after two wine coolers, settling for a wry smile. Someone didn’t hold their alcohol very well… I promised myself I’d cut her off after this, no matter how hilarious it would be to let her get hammered and then tell her about how stupid she was the next day.

She reached into the bucket greedily, grabbing another beverage. She popped the lid on the counter with a bit of a struggle due to her now antsy, shaking hands. She took a long chug, eyes closing like she was reveling in the taste.

“I think I’ve created a monster.” I laughed, shoving my hands into my pockets. She laughed along, setting her bottle on the counter and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

“You’re the one who told me to have some fun.” She agreed.

“Indeed.”

“I’m hungry.” She sighed suddenly, making me laugh even more.

“We’ll stop at McDonalds on the way home.” I promised.

“I’m lovin’ it!” She sang somewhat off key, taking another long swig of her drink. The bottle was half empty now.

I couldn’t help myself from reaching over the counter to sweep the hair away from her face. She just stared at me, bottle stopped in midair. I could see the shock in her blue-grey eyes, causing me to yank my hand back like it’d been on fire. Stupid Gavin, I scolded myself.

“Let’s dance some more.” She suggested, abandoning her wine cooler on the counter. We left the kitchen and headed back onto the dance floor where Blake was grinding against some girl.

I grabbed Fiona’s hands locking our fingers and raising them in the air. She smiled up at me from her five foot height while I moved our hands in high circles to the beat the song, swaying my hips to the beat of the song. I could see the look of delight on her face as she mimicked me, skirt swishing around her knees. This was a nice change to the slightly uptight Fiona from school. She smiled widely, showing off her perfect teeth. Glad I amused her so.

“Mind if I cut in?” My friend, Westly, asked. Fiona stared up at me like a lost puppy, eyes wide and beseeching. I knew she wasn’t good with new people, I’m assuming guys especially. But what was I supposed to say? ‘No, she’s mine!’? Or there’s always ‘You look like a pedophile, get away.’.

“Oh shit, I forgot my keys in the kitchen.” Fiona said suddenly, breaking the silence that fell between the three of us. She unclasped our fingers, leaving my hands feeling empty and cold, even though hers weren’t that warm to begin with. We watched as she hastened away.

“You hittin’ that?” Westly asked, hitching a thumb toward Fiona’s retreating form.

“No.” I said slowly, staring at him incredulously.

“So you don’t mind if I get some of that?”

“Yeah, actually I do mind. She’s my friend and I don’t like the way you’re referring to her. She has a name you know.” I replied, becoming irritated. “But I guess you wouldn’t know that because you’re just concerned about your little Westly, huh?”

“Little Westly needs some love too.” He pointed out, thrusting his hips.

“Why were we even friends?”

“I don’t know, because you used to be concerned about your little guy too.” Westly reminded me. “What’s wrong with you man? Have you gone soft?”

“Course not.” I shrugged. “But I respect girls too.”

Westly gasped dramatically. “Where do you go to school now? Some bible thumping community where men and women are equals?” He looked disgusted. “Of course you respect women. I do too, but I respect them a little more when they’re in their birthday suit and making me a sandwich.” He nudged me like he was joking, but that was the last straw. I tried to choke down my aggravation, but it all ended up flowing into my fists.

I landed a solid blow to his nasal area and he stuttered back, hands flying to his now bloody nose. I could swear I heard a needle going off a record, making that scratching noise and all the music stopped. The startled DJ could only watch, along with everyone else. I felt their eyes boring into me, all at once, like I was in the middle of a firing squad. Fiona stumbled back through the doorway to the living room, freezing dead in her tracks when her baby blues landed on the mess of people. Staring.

I motioned for her to follow me outside and she obliged, stiffly walking toward the door with me. I thought this kind of thing only happened in movies; punching a guy and then fleeing the scene as everyone watches you in awe.

***

I watched as Fiona’s head drooped more and more until it was resting against the window, falling it’s final distance with a light thump. I chuckled softly; it seemed she was always making me laugh…and she didn’t even know it.

Nor did she know what she did to my brain. It’s like everything I’ve thought about girls, what I’ve been taught by Gideon as well as my friends, was all wrong. It doesn’t matter if a girl was hot, it mattered if she was beautiful. It matters if you can have a conversation with her. It matters if she can make you laugh. Fiona did all of those things.

She made me think about things I’d never thought before. I looked back at my life, realizing how wrong I’d been and even though we’d known each other all of a week, I wanted to change. I wanted her to be proud to have me as a friend and to feel comfortable in my presence.

God, Westly was right. I was going soft for a girl who wasn’t even my type.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed. All the comments on last chapter made my week :3 I love you guys.. so yeah. Thanks and all that jazz.