Beast

"Look what the wolf dragged in."

I tumbled over tree roots, my knees scraped over rocks. I didn't care. I still ran. My breathing was coming out short and fast. I only stopped when the howling stopped. I stared down at my feet, realizing my shoes must have fallen off; I was barefoot. This time, when the tears threatened to fall, I didn't stop them. I fell to my knees and let my tears flow. I covered my face in shame.

When I finished crying, I stared at my cuts. They covered my arms, legs, and feet. I took in deep breaths. That helped a little. I stood up and leaned against a tree to steady myself. As I tried moving, the cuts began to sting. I bit my lip and looked at my surroundings. This part of the woods was dark and empty of animal life. It was so quiet. Then, I heard a camera shutter.
My brows knitted together. Someone was out here? Well, that had to be the reason why I heard no animals. Walking towards the sound, I felt my heartbeat accelerate. I stepped through the bushes right as the camera went off again, but with flash. The flash blinded me for a few seconds. I blinked a couple of times to clear my vision.

“Well, don't you look like a mess,” a familiar voice drawled.

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest. He smiled. Of course, it would be him. Luck seemed to never be on my side. The man let go of his camera, letting it hang from his neck. He leaned against a tree and crossed his arms as well.

“You ruined my shot,” he said, ending the silence.

I glowered at him. “I'm so sorry. What are you doing out here anyway?”

He shrugged. “Pictures. But, the question is what are you doing out here looking like a mess?”

“I thought... I heard something.”

“Maybe you're paranoid.”

“Maybe I am.”

That answer shocked him. He stayed quiet. I was watching him and he was watching me. I stared at his face and realized he wasn't wearing his sunglasses this time. His eyes were a light brown. He looked away and in the light, they were golden.

“You should get home,” he said and turned away. “It'll be dark soon. I wouldn't want Little Red to be eaten by the big bad wolf.”

He chuckled and walked away. I glared at the back of his head and turned around. Maybe, if I kept walking straight, I'd find my way out. I took a deep breath in and went on my way. The further I went, the darker it got. I stopped walking and looked around. I pulled on the hood of my cloak and kept walking. Hopefully, this time luck was on my side.

All I could hear was the crunching of leaves under my feet. I looked down, watching my feet move. Suddenly, instead of seeing leaves and dirt, there was asphalt. I glanced around. I was on the road home. I laughed and ran all the way back to the cottage.

Image

“Oh, Demi, back so soon?” Daniel questioned.

“Yeah... I need to talk to you,” I answered as I walked over to the register.

He looked confused for a moment, but he didn't protest. He seemed alert as if he was ready to answer any personal questions.

“Just who was that man?” I went straight to the point.

He removed his glass before speaking. “That man is no more than a mere boy; nineteen at best. He and his older brother moved into that house. His name is still unknown to me.”

I breathed out hard. “There has to be something you know.”

He rubbed his eyes. “All I know is that they used to live here as children. They moved away. I just don't recall his name, Demi.”

I looked away, towards the door. I was disappointed. Not even Daniel knew the names. I ran a hand through my hair and bit my lip. Daniel put his glasses back on when the bell rang. A man that resembled the mystery man stood in the coffee shop. His hair was longer and instead of wearing all black, he wore dark jeans and a white t-shirt. He wore no sunglasses and he had stubble of facial hair. He seemed bad ass without even trying.

“Hello, sir,” Daniel's voice was chirpy.

The man walked up to the register and I moved aside. The man looked to be 6 foot even, way taller than my 5 foot 3 exterior. I looked at Daniel and gave him the find-something-out face. He just shrugged and went back to the man.

“Hi,” his voice was rough and I liked it. “What do you recommend?”

My cheeks burned and I quickly walked out of the coffee shop. I heard a small bye from Daniel. I smiled and began walking around town. Today, I came a little later than I usually did. It was one in the afternoon. The sun was overhead, the chilly winter air filled the town. It was a beautiful cloudless day. I turned the corner, not paying any attention and, of course, I bump into someone. My head hurt from bumping it against the other person's head. I looked up and saw a girl with the mystery man. His arm was draped across her shoulders. She mumbled an apology and I just shook it off.

“It's totally fine,” I smiled. “I need to go now.”

I walked away. Not once turning around. If I looked disappointed, neither of them said anything. I sighed. Why was I disappointed? I never thought of the guy that way. I shouldn't even care about the guy like that. I didn't even understand myself. I took another right and walked up the stairs of my favorite clothing store in town. The heater was on and the warmth when deep into my bones. Incense was burning all around and the store smelt amazing. Dresses hung on hangers, shorts and pants were folded on racks, shirts were folded or hung. I took a deep breath in, taking in the many scents.

“Look what the wolf dragged in,” a voice teased.

I looked to the back of the room and smiled. October, or Toby, walked over. Her long dreads were tired in a bun. Today, Toby wore a long flowing dress that reached the floor. It was tie-dyed pastel colors. The whites of her eyes were red and she smelled of smoke. I rolled my eyes and hugged her.

“What are you doing here?” She laughed and pulled on my dark hair.

“I just need some new clothes,” I answered. “And those sleeping herbs.”

She blinked and then a bright smile broke through. “Okay, sounds good. Just stay right here.”

I nodded, my lips in a thin line. It wasn't like I wanted to be anywhere else. Toby walked back to the back room. I walked around the shop and grabbed things on my way. By the time Toby got back, I had shorts, three dresses, two pairs of pants, and a shirt. I placed the clothes on the counter and watched her ring them up. I pulled out my wallet when she finished.

“Something's wrong,” Toby finally said.

I shook my head. “No, there isn't.”

“You know that I'm always right. I've known you for five years. Now, tell me what's wrong.”

“It's that new guy. I don't know why but he's been on my mind for days. Three days ago, I saw him in the woods.”

“Stalking him now, are we?” She teased. “But, seriously, Demi. I don't know how to break this to you, but you like the guy.”

“I don't even know his name,” I said. “Also, he's an arrogant asshole. I don't need that.”

She shrugged and smiled. “I'm always right. Oh, don't give me that face. I'm just teasing you. Just try and forget him. Get out of town. Do something.”

“You act like I haven't tried,” I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

“Then, drink your problems away.”

She looked serious. I laughed and shook my head. This woman was nuts.