All Hope Is Gone

Heat and Silence

Image


“So we're all 'spose to stay here fer some shit heeled kid that's probably already in a walkers belly?” Merle was sounding off in Daryl's face for the tenth time in two days about being sat like sitting ducks on a highway to hell.

“What else are we gonna do? Can't go leaving the kid out there by herself.” Daryl looked up from his skinned catch. “It ain't all that fun.”

“Oh.” Merle raised his brows. “I geddit' you still sore 'bout being left on your lil' lonesome to fend fer yaself in the woods. If ya ask me ya weren't lost long enough. Look at ya! Soft and piss weak.” He spat on the road by Daryl's boots before walking off towards the RV.

“You should really keep a leash on that brother of yours.” Lori had her arms crossed tightly over her stomach as she kicked the road with her boots. “Should be grateful Rick let him stay with us.”

Daryl looked up at the slender woman looking down at him, telling him everything he already knew. “Merle didn' mean any harm with sayin all that. Just on edge is all what with being here knowin' geeks can come hoarding through here at any minute.”

Lori nodded. “I know. We're all nervous, but you know we can't leave Sophia out there...”

Of course he knew. Daryl knew all about it.

“You didn't find her?” They heard Carol ask as Rick came back up on the road with Shane and Anastasia at his sides.

She had volunteered to go along to search for Sophia despite the protests of the men. Eventually they had given in on account of Anastasia reminding them of all the times she had fought and killed walkers by their side. Of the time she was the only person to go out and face the men who had stuffed Glenn into the back of their car without even knowing any of them from strangers.

“Carol...” Rick wasn't sure what to say to the mother as her cheeks began to burn red and a sharp slap hit his face from her hand.

“You're suppose to keep us safe and you can't even find my little girl! All of you went out there today and came back with nothing?” By now tears were streaking Carol's cheeks and Lori's hands were holding her arms down let another slap fly.

“Carol, we're sorry. But you know we will be back out there looking hard for Sophia.” Anastasia took a step forward and placed a hand on the older woman's shoulder.

“You of all people should know what this is like!” Losing the steady in her knees Carol collapsed to the ground with her cries and sobs.

“Anastasia, she didn't mean it.” Lori was quick to apologise as Anastasia's heel turned in the direction of the RV.

Daryl had caught the conversation from his place, his gaze drawn to Anastasia who was just shutting the RV door behind her.
“What a damn mess.”

Her hands rested either side of the little table in the RV and her shoulders were hunched over. Anastasia had her eyes were squeezed shut so tight her forehead began to ache. What Carol had said, she knew exactly the wave of pain and fear that the mother wailing out on the road was going through.
If having her husband snatched away from her wasn't pain enough the fates had seen fit to take away her daughter in the worst way imaginable.
Tears stung the back of her eyes as the memory of Dana had brought her right back to the moment that the little dark haired girl lay across her mothers lap with her mothers knife embedded deep into her little skull.

“Well hey there, sweetbutt.” Merle had just come out of the bathroom to notice Anastasia's back turned to him.

“Merle I swear to god I will fucking cut your throat if you start something.” Her tone was but a manageable growl as she felt him brush past her.

He scoffed. “I bet you would try, but I'd bet harder you'd lose.”

Anastasia's eyes flew open and her whole body bucked as his sour touch forced itself between her legs and tugged her against his chest.
And that's all it took for Anastasia to lose her cool.
Quickly she snapped her head back. Once. Twice. Three times. Merle's grip dropped from her as he stumbled back against the door clutching his nose as it flooded with blood.
Raising a heavy booted foot Anastasia kicked the Redneck as hard as she could in the stomach and followed him as his great weight crashed through the RV door and rolled down the steps.

“I told you Merle Dixon! I told you!” She yelled before collapsing over him with balled up fists that took no time in pummelling his already blood covered face.

“Oh what now?!” Dale was the first to rush over just missing the woman's hand as it grabbed up a pile of hot ashes and rubbed them in Merle's face.

All the camp could hear now was Merle's wails and Anastasia's screams as she stood and delivered several hard boots to his ribs.

“Does it feel good? Well does it?!”

“Shit!” Daryl cursed rushing over to his brothers aid. “Come 'ere you!” Without one fluid movement he had Anastasia fidgeting in his arms and grunting and she tried with all her might to break out of his grip. “Jus' calm down woman!”

“Don't you call me woman! I am sick of you calling me woman!” Her legs kicked in the air aiming at Merle as he staggered to his feet.

“I'm going to snap yer whore neck!” Merle bellowed taking a step towards her.

“Hey! Hey!” Shane swiftly placed himself between the feuding camp members and shoved Merle back. “You ain't snappin' no bodies neck!”

“We're goin' inside.” Daryl with his arms still firmly locked around Anastasia practically lifted her still wriggling body up and forced her into the RV slamming the door behind him.

“What the 'ell was that 'bout?!” Throwing her onto the edge of the bed, he stood in the frame way blocking any exit routes.

“Your fucking filthy brother!” Her eyes were dark as she looked up at the younger Dixon brother.

Daryl wiped a hand down the side of his face, having his brother back was more trouble than he had expected and the last thing he needed was these two exploding at one another. “Can't you two jus'...”

“What? Get along? Be best of friggin' pals?”

“No! Jesus I am tired of this.”

“Ha you're tired of this? What do you have to be tired of? Would it be worrying about if Merle is going to try and get his dick in your pants? Or would it be what the fuck you're going to do when he does? Cause I for one know what I am tired of!” Anastasia had stood and was now sticking a finger into Daryl's chest. “I told you your brother was a monster that shouldn't be here.”

Taking a step back from her Daryl nodded. “He try that again? That why you kicked his ass from 'ere to Sunday?”

She nodded. “Yeah and I would have cut his head off if you didn't grab me.”

Daryl bit his bottom lip, there weren't a woman out there who had the balls to reject Merle's advances and bash the living crap out of him before. Until now Daryl was sure there weren't a man, let alone woman, who could have done that to his big brother.
Honestly, it was shocked and unsure of what to say next apart from. “Well he deserved it.”

“You only realise that now?” Anastasia flopped back down on the bed. “I thought people were suppose to be safer in this camp. I sure as hell have never felt this scared.” She felt the bed move with Daryl's weight as he took the spot next to her. She looked over to his head hanging down. “Don't feel guilty. He is your brother despite being an animal.”

“I brought him back here thinking things would be alrigh', but they aren't. No one feels safe here now and you sure as hell ain't.” His gaze on the floor shifted to Anastasia. “You ain't a bad girl and do ya best to fight for this camp...”

“Merle has to-” A gunshot cut Anastasia short.

“What now?” Daryl was the first out the RV door closely followed by Anastasia.

“Was that a gunshot?” Anastasia asked coming to Lori's side.

She nodded. “Rick and Carl are out there!”