From The Stereo To Your Desktop

The Promise

Brendon remembers things. Well, Brendon remembers lots of things, mostly things having to do with him and Ryan, with some childhood memories sprinkled in between.

He remembers in freshman year when Ryan came to his house crying and soaking wet from the rain outside. He remembers bringing him into the house and telling his mom that he was going to have a friend spend the night. He remembers going into the bathroom and getting a good look at Ryan's cuts and bruises. He remembers calling Spencer because Ryan wouldn't tell him how he got the cuts and bruises. He also remembers feeling bad for prying into things that weren't really his business, but mostly he remembers the wet puppy dog that Ryan was, and the look on his face.

He remembers sophomore year when he and Ryan spent homecoming night sitting at his house watching Disney movies. He remembers bringing his fingers up to play with Ryan's hair and Ryan not saying a word, because really, Brendon did that to everyone. He remembers how perfect it felt with Ryan and him cuddled up together, falling asleep to Aladdin.

There's one memory that clouds his thoughts from day to day though. They were swinging in the park, Brendon telling Ryan that he was beating him because his swing was going higher. He thinks about when he reached his hand over and grabbed the cold chain of Ryan's swing, stopping both of them and he remembers pulling them together and bringing his chapped lips to Ryan's soft ones, and just how good it felt, and then how bad it felt when Ryan ran away.

He remembers calling Spencer again that night, telling him what happened, trying to find out if Ryan had said anything to him about it. He remembers Spencer telling him that Ryan hadn't, but he would try to pry it out of him sooner or later.

It was a month later when Ryan finally came back to Brendon, this time just like the one before, with Ryan crying at his doorstep, soaking wet once again. This time though, there were no bruises, but Brendon still told his mom a friend would be spending the night.

He and Ryan went up to Brendon's room, and Ryan took a seat on Brendon's bed. Brendon sat next to him, wrapping his arm around Ryan's shoulder. Ryan buried his head in the crook of Brendon's kneck, making a stain in Brendon's shirt. When Brendon asked what was wrong, Ryan cried more, and Brendon just sat there, his hand in Ryan's hair like when they watched the Disney moves. Then he remembers Ryan telling him he was sorry, and that he loved him, and then bringing their lips together in a kiss that seemed to last a lifetime, even if it was only a few seconds.