Set It Off

21st Century Breakdown

The light amber orange sky marked the forthcoming of the sun. The air was light, cleansed by the rain last night. I could feel the cool breeze on my skin as I took a sip of my hot chocolate. Today, 3rd grade ends. I could feel just how perfect the day would be. Or so I think.

I got inside from our balcony and quickly got prepped to go to school. As expected, my best friend Josh was already waiting for me at our front door. He was rubbing his neck and was looking down the floor.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yea. Just waiting for you and the bus." He greeted.

Josh James Alphonse. The kid I grew up with. The kid who I spent every second of my life with, so far. Our families were some sort of best buds and worked together.

Everything that day was nowhere near well. It was perfect. We get to get out of school for vacation. No more walls filled with girls ready to pounce any time.

Everybody said I was different. My hair, my clothes, my voice, my body. Everything. I didn't care, I never did. I was completely fine with my jeans and tees.

As we reached my flat at around 4 in the afternoon, Josh flinched as if he was uncomfortable with something. I brushed it off. He was unreadable, unpredictable. He was fun to be with.

He followed me inside like always. Then there. We heard them.

"Oh you filthy prick! Stop pretending like you're innocent!" I hear my dad shout.

"After all these years, bloody hell, how could you easily assume it was us?! Our fault?!" Josh's dad answered back.

"You know damn well why! You, after all are in the finance department! Who else would fuck up?!"

"You're a hopeless case. I give up. Think whatever you want to. I'm done."

I stepped back, my heart was beating fast, and hard. With every pump, I could feel my knees start to shake. I held Josh's hand as he held me close.

Apart from the sounds our parent's voices are making, the world seems utterly silent and still, as if it has become an inanimate stage for this moment, as if the progress of people on earth has halted.

I see Josh's dad as he made his way towards his son, tears starting to form from his blue eyes. I could feel some start their way on mine too. I was shocked, not sure what to do.

And then the biggest mistake of my life was made; I let go of his hand. Just like that, I let him go. I saw him get dragged out of our house, leaving me staring blankly at the now closed door, trying to recall and absorb everything that just happened.

I was all so fast. I haven't had any communication with the Alphonses since then. Aside from one phone call Josh had managed to give later the night the day it happened.

"Hey, Hayles. You don't have to say anything. This'll be quick. We're moving to Weybridge, maybe permanently, but I'll find a way to be with you some day. No matter what it takes. Remember this day Hayles, we WILL see each other again. I promise. With all my heart. Hayles, you take care. Don't be sad, I'm trying not to be. We're still young, we don't owe anything to anyone. Live freely. Yea? Hear me? Promise me you'll do that. Yea?" Josh said.

See, the thing about us two, is that we were too mature for our age. For 3rd graders, we had minds that of the 6th or 5th.

"Yes. I promise. And I'll wait, for y-" Just then, I hear the lines get cut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Flashback! :) Hope you like it.

Thank you LookingUp93 for constantly commenting :"") ILY :~~D