‹ Prequel: Inducing Illusions
Status: It goes..

The Apodictic Cure

39

"Brielle, you need to sit up."
She did.

"Brielle, you need to eat."
She did.

"Brielle, you need to sleep."
She did.

That's how the next few days went. She was able to stay in her room, though, which she likes a lot more than the infirmary. She liked being able to see the tree out her window.

Occasionally she would ask, "Can I see Miel?" but Jessica would mostly say, "Maybe later," or, "Maybe tomorrow." or she would just ignore the request all together.

After for or five days (she couldn't remember which), Jessica came in with Brielle's medication and said, "You have a visitor."

Brielle's eyes glittered with anticipation, but it was the man from before. Then Brielle remembered what had happened. She dragged her glaring eyes off of the boy and to Jessica. "Is Miel okay?"

She hesitated, a twinge of worry in her eyes. "As far as I know."

"You need to know more. Ask Clara."

Jessica glanced between Brielle and the boy. "Right now?"

Brielle took a deep breath and clenched her fists. Her nails dug into her palms a bit, which meant it had been almost a week. Someone would be here in a day or so to cut them. "I need to know that she's okay."

So Jessica left her. Alone with a boy. I was wrong. I can't do this. Her entire body twitched. She wanted to go to the door, or call out for help, but she proved incapable of both.

"My name is-"

"Andrew." She snapped. Her voice spat like venom. That was more than her deserved. How dare he speak to her, and in such a casual tone! It was disgusting. Why wouldn't he just cut to the chase and ruin her?

Kill her.

Rape her.

Beat her.

That, after all, was all a man could do. And that was all she was good for. Sex and a punching bag.

They sat in silence for a long while. Brielle began to panic. She's left me for dead. Left me with him. Look at him! She narrowed her eyes at him, just sitting in a fold-up chair in the corner of the room. He's plotting. I can sense it! He's waiting for me to make a move, or slip up, or let my guard down. Then he'll attack. Well, I'm prepared! He'll never find a moment that I wont anticipate. "I dare you." She hissed in a whisper.

He heard her, but thought better of saying anything. His body shifted nervously and Brielle tensed.

"May I ask you a question?" He asked, tentatively.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit! "Jessica!"

The door swung open much faster than Brielle expected. "What's wrong?" She looked between the two who were staring back at her before fixating on Andrew. "Are you okay?"

"Where in hell have you been?" Brielle shrieked. "It does not take that long to walk to Miel's room! You left me with this... This heathen!"

Jessica touched Andrew's shoulder and he left without a word. "Brielle, calm down."

"Did you even go to her, or were you just waiting for him to rape me so that you son't have to deal with me?"

Jessica stared at her with astonishment. "Brielle, don't even pretend with yourself that I would put you in danger. Andrew is not Michael."

"Don't you dare say his name!" Brielle screamed, "They are all the same! They are all monsters! Devils! And don't pretend that you haven't thought of getting rid of me." She snickered to herself. "I'm not stupid, Jessica. I see it in your eyes. You've gotten sick of me, just like everyone else. Miel is the only one I can ever count on!"

Dr. Jonson walked into the room, shaking her head. "Brielle, don't be mean. Say you're sorry." Brielle said nothing.

Jessica turned to the doctor. "She made very little progress with Andrew." It's no use. She only trusts Miel."

Brielle's attention perked. "When can I see her?"

The two exchanged glances, "Maybe the three of you could have a meeting? You, Miel, and Andrew."