‹ Prequel: Inducing Illusions
Status: It goes..

The Apodictic Cure

90

"Look, you don't understand her. Not like I do. You can't just lead into her demons, that's not how it works! She's fragile, you have to be careful with her. And you sure as hell aren't going to get her to open up by calling a doctor every time she breaks down. Didn't you learn anything from me?" Brielle crossed her arms, facing Dr. Jonson, whose eyes were narrowed in focus.

"Can you tell me what happened to her, Brielle?" She asked.

"No."

Dr. Jonson paused to write something down. "Now, does that mean that you don't know or that you wont tell me?"

"Her stories are not mine to tell. I would never break her confidence."

Dr. Jonson sat forward in her seat, pulling her clipboard against her chest. "You know, if you told me, you'd be helping Miel a great deal."

"No I would not be!" Brielle huffed. "Miel is never going to learn to be her own if she doesn't learn to get rid of, or absorb her other sides. She needs to trust, which I have gained and you have not. If it was easy she wouldn't need therapy."

The doctor blinked and sat back in her seat, resigning that line of questioning. She smiled the way she did when she decided to pretend to be a friend. "Lets talk about you then, shall we?"

Brielle sat with her legs pulled beneath her, with the hem of her white lace dress pulled over her knees. She closed her eyes for a moment, allowing herself to be frustrated. "I'm really not up to it, Ma'am. Maybe another time."

"I hear you've been making progress with Andrew." She continued, ignoring the request. "Tell me about that."

"There's nothing to tell. I'm sure that you've been filled in with how things have been going. He is here and I do not speak to him. You're being frivolous and frankly I do not care to stay here so you can continue with this."

___

Brielle waited on Miel's bed for her to be done with her own session with Dr. Jonson. The naive fool. She knows so little of two girls who have been here for such a time. It's almost too easy to keep her in the dark it seems. She let her eyes wander around the room along with her mind. It looked hardly lived in. Only stains here and there on the carpet and blinds pulled open a bit. What does she do in here?

The door opened slowly and Miel scurried to the bed, where Brielle greeted her with a hug. They sat like that for a time in complete silence. It didn't seem strange to them. So many days they'd sat in silence, simply enjoying the company of someone who cared. Silence, in fact, was the entity which brought them together, who had always eluded them. Even now, with V gone, Brielle could not quite aquire silence. Where V's voice previously taunted, her own thoughts now echoed. "Hey, Miel?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember when we first met in art class and we talked about you painting and me writing and the stars?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Do you still paint at all?"

"Not very much. They'll just analyze it if I do. Do you still write?"

Brielle let out a disappointed sigh. "Not a thing. Same problem. I can't remember the last time I picked up a pen."

The ticking of the clock bounced off the walls. The two girls watched each other, knowing that they were not really alone together. There were always people watching them- listening- waiting for them to slip up.

"What do you think of Dr. Jonson? She seems genuine enough, but I don't know..." She was uncomfortable and nervous. Her eyes were fixated on her fingers, which lay in the lap of her pale blue dress. Brielle took her friend's hand in her own, trying to give her a bit of strength.

"She definitely means well. Considering her age, though, she seems a bit amateurish to me. I'm really glad she's showing actual concern with you, though. She's never really shown that for me."

"And that boy they tricked you into meeting with... Can I trust him with you?"

"I've only ever met with him twice, really. He seems safe enough at this point. I'm afraid of what he's telling me, though. He's making women out to be monsters-- Or at least one. I want to believe that he's lying to me, but he has evidence to support all of his claims..." She clasped Miel's hand firmly, "Mimi, I hate to ask, and you don't need to tell me if you don't want... Why aren't you seeing Dr. Kress anymore?"