Status: new

Passenger Seat

Hit the Road

I zipped my duffel bag up and slid my feet into my old worn out Vans. Looking at the clock on my bedside table for what must have been the fiftieth time tonight, I saw that it was just a quarter past eleven. They'd be here any minute. I went to my door and peeked out into the hall just to make sure that the rest of the house was sound asleep. My parents had gone to bed just an hour before and my younger sisters, Kayla and Michelle, were long gone in a deep sleep. After all, they still had school this week. Having just shed my high school senior status, I was already on summer vacation.

I heard soft tapping coming from my window and quickly shut my door and grabbed my things. This was it. Opening my window, I popped out the screen and gently placed it against the wall. I poked my head outside and saw Brian standing out on my lawn in sweats and a white tee shirt. He silently motioned for me to throw my things down to him and I followed his orders.

"I told you to pack light!" he whisper-yelled up to me. I rolled my eyes and climbed out the window, careful of my footing as I closed it and eased myself down from the ledge. I'd made this jump countless times before, but tonight I was on edge and the danger seemed to increase tenfold. With a final deep breath, I hopped down planting firmly on my feet. Brushing the sweat off my brow, I breathed a sigh of relief. I made it.

"Ready to go?" Brian's voice penetrated the stillness in the air. I turned back to him and nodded. I picked up my bag and he grabbed the other and together we walked over to the van parked out on the street where the rest of the gang was waiting. John opened the door for us and once we were inside, Brian and I chucked my things into the back with the rest of the gear.

"I can't believe this worked," I said quietly to myself as I settled in my seat next to Jess. Brian overheard and smirked.

"Don't get too excited, we haven't even left the property yet," he grinned, nudging my shoulder. I nudged him back and buckled my seatbelt. "Where to now?" I asked, directing my attention to Stephen in the driver's seat.

"Anaheim, baby!" he whooped and the car instantly roared to life. Josh, who was sitting in the passengers seat next to Stephen, raised his fists in the air and howled, equally as excited to kick off this tour. We took off down the road, the blood coursing rapidly through my veins as the needle on the speedometer rose and rose. I sat back, squished between Jess and Brian, and smiled to myself. This had brash and reckless written all over it and I couldn't have been any happier than I was this very moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
never written The Summer Set before so tell me what you think. Should I keep going?