Status: In progress

I Fear Your Name Will Haunt Me Forever

PART FOUR - Defence Against the Dark Arts

When Ellie arrived back at her room she looked at the pile of books on her bed, all waiting to be used during the coming year. The seven books that were for her Defence Against the Darks Arts lesson were in a large pile, Ellie located her Grandfather's favourite quill, which she had borrowed a week ago, she also folded up some parchment and placed it into her pocket. Ellie went over to the desk and found a jar of ink and turned around and once again saw the large pile of books on her bed. Ellie decided to refuse to carry all those books for one lesson. Hopefully in the future the Professor would inform them of which book they would need meaning that the students wouldn't have to carry around a back breaking number of books. She found her book bag and placed her Transfiguration book into her bag and picked up her skateboard to get to her lesson on time as she was running slightly behind schedule.

The halls were empty but the bell was just about the ring, so Ellie was happy she would be in heaven for a few minutes. Due to the fact she was running slightly late she jumped on her skateboard and started making her way as quickly as she was able to on her skateboard. She had gotten most of the way there when she ran straight into someone who had stepped out in front of her. This resulted in her falling off her skateboard and injuring herself slightly but it was nothing she couldn't handle, she had done worst. The person she had run into however seemed to be groaning slightly in pain.

"I am sorry about that" Ellie apologised to the male student who was groaning on the floor. Ellie offered her hand to help him up. She looked into his shifty grey eyes and notice there was anger within them. He take her hand and dragged himself up off the floor. She noticed that he was tall and relatively muscular. In fact he would have been attractive if his large crooked teeth which were being shown to her in a smile, and his eyes were not full malice. When he stood up Ellie realised he was in Slytherin, his tie was green and silver, and he had a snake on his robe.

"You will be!" he stated hatred in his tone. Ellie made a mental note to talk to Sev and ask him to keep an eye on this particular student for her. Instead of replying to him she picked up her skateboard and walked the rest of the way to her first class of the year. When she arrived at her classroom the bell had just gone and the class room was rapidly empting. Ellie walked into the classroom and sat next to the wall at the back of the room leaning on the wall was in her opinion more comfortable than the back of the chair and it was also a good place to nap as she was unlikely to be noticed as she was at the back of the room. The back of the room was also a good location as she would most likely be sent out of the lesson before it finished. Ellie already did not think highly of the new Professor. When the other students walked into the room Oliver sat in front of Ellie and Marie sat next to her. Just before the late bell rang Fred and George ran into the room grinning. The two of them had probable left the Great hall late. Ellie grinned at this, she knew the Twins could likely get away with murder in this room.

"Where are your books?" Marie asked noting that the bag that Ellie had been carrying was practically empty. "And what is that?" She inquired pointing at the Skateboard which was lying on the floor between them.

"My books are in my room." Ellie answered simply and to the point, however when Marie gave her a look she elaborated slightly. "I refuse to carry seven books for one lesson, I like my back to much to do that. That is a skateboard, you are very clearly a pureblood, well that or a seriously depraved child." Ellie joked laughing slightly. Just as she finished talking the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor entered the room. The majority of the girls in the room sighed, Ellie just rolled her eyes.

"Me, Gildroy Lockheart, Order of Merlin third class, honorary member of the dark force defence league and five times winner of Witch Weekly's most charming smile award. But I don't talk about that, I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her." Ellie's first thought at this was why he had bothered to mention it then? It was then that she remembered that Gildroy Lockheart was in love with himself. He was the kind of person that if you had been to the moon he had been there twice. He clearly expected a laugh at this point however the room stayed silent. Gildroy Lockheart's face fell at the silence but he then continued. "To start we will have a little quiz."Ellie raised her eyebrows, as did many of the other students in the room, did he honestly believe that everyone would have already read his books? The Ravenclaws looked at each other with worry in their eyes. He handed out he papers and we were not allowed to open them before he announced 'Go'. "You have half an hour, begin!"

Ellie looked at the questions on the paper in front of her. When she read some of the questions on the paper she snorted out loud, this caused the Ravenclaws to turn from their tests and glare at Ellie until they realised they were wasting valuable time and hastily turned around to continue with their tests. Ellie put her hand in the air to get the professor's attention. By the time he had made his way to her she was fuming.

"How can I help you?" Lockheart waited a second to see if he could remember Ellie's name but instead of adding it he just looked at Ellie expectantly.

"I refuse to do this test." Ellie informed him sounding very pompous. She was annoyed at Lockheart. "I honestly do not care about your favourite colour, I also do not see how knowing what your secret ambition is, is going to help me further my education. And another thing, question three is asking an opinion so there isn't really a correct answer." Ellie looked at Lockheart with a triumphant look on her face, lockheart didn't only look annoyed he was incensed that someone would undermine his abilities not only as a teacher but as a defence teacher.

"Go and wait outside" he shouted some spittle following his voice. Ellie stood and started making her way out of the classroom. She heard Lockheart start speaking to the class. "I will be back in twenty minutes, no talking." He came out into the corridor and indicated to me to start walking down the corridor. We were about half way down the corridor when Ellie decided to break the silence.

"Where are we going then?" Ellie asked intrigued, she wouldn't be taken to her head of house as she would have been if she had been sorted.

"I am taking you to the headmaster. I refuse to teach someone who will not respect me as a teacher." He had finished talking when they reached the stone gargoyle that guarded the Headmasters office. Lockheart looked a little confused for a moment, it seemed he couldn't remember the password.

"It's Acid pops" Ellie informed him, he looked surprised for a moment and the stone gargoyle moved so they could make their way up to the cluttered office. When they walked into the office Dumbledore didn't look surprised, it seemed he was in fact waiting for the two of them.

"Take a seat" My Grandfather said with a grave look on his face, but Ellie looked slightly closer and realised that there was an amused glint in his blue eyes. Lockheart took one of the seats and Ellie sat down and got comfortable. Lockheart proceeded to explain the situation. Once he had finished my grandfather looked at me the amused glint still in his eyes.

"I will deal with this personally Gildroy, please go back to your classroom and finish your lesson." Lockheart then left the office and Ellie looked at her grandfather slightly worried at the reaction she would get for her outburst. However her fears were unfounded her eyes found his and she found him to be smiling.

"I am afraid that you will have to serve detention. You should be showing respect to all of your professors." A serious look was on his face. Though Ellie decided to argue this despite knowing that she had already lost.

"That is so unfair. I had a good reason for what I said. But of course you instantly take his side!" after saying this Ellie looked into her grandfathers eyes and realised that she hadn't really given him a chance to speak.

"You will have to attend all of his lessons, and give him the proper respect that you would show any other professor in this school. However if you have any questions to ask me about Defence Against the Dark Arts you can always come to me for help." He was trying to persuade her to behave as she was supposed to so she wasn't given any more detentions. Lockheart was going to be far more trouble than he was worth, but he had been the only applicant so Dumbledore hadn't had much choice except to hire him. Ellie realised that she had a bargaining point and looked at her grandfather calculatingly.

"Fine I will help to fuel that man's already over inflated ego, if Sev does my detention." Ellie said Dumbledore nodded his head, clearly expecting this announcement. He knew just as Ellie did that she had a potion that needed finishing.

"Ok, please be outside his classroom at four o'clock and I shall inform him. Now back to your lesson and please try and behave." Ellie nodded her head, she had been taken to the headmaster on her first day and she wasn't exactly an expert but she was sure that it was a rare occurrence. She made her way back to the lesson, she took her time knowing that it would decrease the amount of time she was in the same room as in incompetent Lockheart.

When she finally arrived back at the classroom Ellie sat down and started making up ridiculous answers to the test. When the she finished her test Lockheart asked her to collect in all the papers clearly trying to annoy Ellie and allow him to give her his own justice for her questioning of his teaching methods in front of his class.

Three minutes later Ellie was apologising to Lockheart while trying to keep a straight face. Ellie had "accidently" set the papers on fire then in an attempt to salvage some of the papers so they were only a little charred Ellie missed the papers and soaked the new professor from head to toe, his perfectly curled hair was in disarray. The day was uneventful really after that, well except detention.