This Tastes Like Poison

Canadian Bound

"Pattyn!" I heard my Dad shout from across the airport. It was a miracle that I even did though. There were so many people surrounding us and so many of them were yelling out names at the same time that I was having a lot of trouble hearing anything but screaming. I started walking towards him, well I guess it was more of a fast walk or a half-run, and then hugged him tight as soon as I reached him.

"Hi, dad," I said while letting go of him, "We still have to get my luggage." He just nodded like he had already guessed this when he saw me coming towards him with nothing but a carry-on in my hands.

"There's someone else we have to find before we go though. How about you run and get your luggage and I'll wait here for him." He said, taking my carry-on bag in his hands so that I was able to get the rest of my stuff. Curiousty shot through me instantly. What person? It was a he? Marshall wasn't coming for a few days. I was extremely confused and it must have been written on my face because the next thing my dad said was, "I'll introduce you when you get back. Hurry up, kiddo."

The pet names still came as a surprise to me. Before last summer, my dad hardly acknowledged me; now he calls me 'kiddo'. I guess there were still some things that were always going to be off between us. I kind of liked it though, that he called me 'kiddo', it made me feel safe for some reason. It was weird, but it felt safe.

I didn't want to waste anymore time though, so I hurried off to find my luggage, which took me about five minutes. I tried really hard to find my dad after that but there were so many people piling in from there arrival spots that I couldn't spot him. I started turning around in circles looking for him. I could always call a cab if I couldn't find him, but I doubt he'd leave me at the airport stranded.

Instead of looking around continuously, I found a nearby seat and sat down waiting for the piles of people to turn into tiny groups. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed the house back home. It rang three times before anyone picked up and when they did, it wasn't the voice I wanted to hear the most.

"Stretter?" Adam's voice said through the phone. Since I made it clear that I will never call him Trecker, he's taken to calling me Stretter every so often. I don't really understand what he's trying to prove, but it's also very difficult to understand that brain of Adam's.

"Hey, Adam. Is Landon around? I just landed." I said still keeping an out for my dad in case I catch sight of him. It's no use, the people won't stop moving. I focus solely on my conversation on the phone now, giving up completely on looking for dad.

"I think he went for a surf, but how was your flight? You threw up didn't you? You owe me a new surf board." He said laughing into the phone. Adam, Adam, Adam, when will you learn not to mess with me? I'll get him back for making fun of me though, he can count on it.

"Actually, I can promise you I did no such thing." I said, pretending to be all snobby and disgusted with him. He didn't say anything through the line but I knew he was mocking me on the other end.

"I'm not sure I believe you." He said getting all detective on me. So yes, this is a bit weird. We're talking about whether or not I puked on a flight and there is absolutely no way of proving it. I already bought him a surf board though, but he doesn't get it until the end of summer. It's a present for hooking me up with my cafe job.

"Whatever. Anyways, I guess I should probably go now. I just wanted to check in. Tell Landon I miss him already." I said knowing that just the mushy sound of my voice near the end of it would make him want to vomit.

"Will do. Should I also send you a magic tube that connects his air supply to yours? I swear you two won't be able to survive these next two weeks without each other." I laughed at his wittiness. It was okay to talk about this stuff with Adam though. Everything was good between us. He found himself a girlfriend, got over me, and now we both have people in our lives we love.

"Bye Adam." I said right before I clicked the phone shut. Even though I told him that I missed Landon, I held back the fact that I missed him too. I missed them all already. Was that normal? I mean, it's two weeks away from home. I've only lived with them for a year, I should be able to breathe without them for a couple of weeks.

I put my phone away and looked around the airport again, but still couldn't find my dad. I decided to just start walking around until I found him. I doubt he'd still be in the same spot as before anyways if he was meeting somebody. It would have been easier if he told me what flight this guy was on. At least then I would be able to navigate my way in the right direction instead of looking like an idiot.

I've been walking around this damn airport for nearly ten minutes now and I still can't find him. Granted, this airport is huge; it is Toronto after all, but still. All I want to do at this point is go home, have a nice dinner with my dad, and then curl up in a ball wearing my pajamas in my bed and call Landon.

"You lost?" I turn around to see the guy that was sitting beside me on my flight. More small talk, here we go. Although, now I actually need help. I smile at him, embarrassed. I noticed the way his eyes glistened in the light and popped right out. They were the kind of hazel anyone would kill for.

"A bit. It's no problem though, he should be around here somewhere." I said, looking around again and turning around to start off in a new direction. It's not that I was lost, I knew my way around. I just didn't know where my dad was. All of a sudden I saw my dad and waved at him. I made sure that every piece of luggage was with me and then started off towards him. He was waving back eagerly, and the whole time I kept thinking Jeez, dad. We just did this twenty minutes ago.

"Hey guys." He said as I became closer to him. Guys? I wasn't with anyone though and neither was he. "I see you two have already met." Huh? Dad, I'm the only one standing here. Well, I thought so anyways. I turned around then and noticed the guy from my plane, the same one I was just standing with before. His name was Jeremy, or Jerry, or something like that. He flashed me a smile and I instantly felt my face go red.

"Um, hi." I said looking at him with curiousity. I thought this guy my dad was meeting was a client of his or something. I was expecting a much older guy with a suit and tie and a cell phone glued to his ear. "What exactly is he doing here with us, dad?" I wasn't mad, I was just irritated. I hope I don't have to show this guy around Canada like a tour guide. Saying this is very hypocritical of me though. Without Jake, I wouldn't have seen half the stuff I did in Australia.

"He's opening up a restaurant down under. He wants me to help him get it all started and what not. He's here for a week and then he's back. Isn't that right Jared?" My dad said looking over at Jared and then shaking his hand. This all seemed really strange to me for some reason, but I was too tired, despite my long sleep on the plane, to ask anymore questions.

"Oh," I said looking from my dad to him and then back to my dad again. "Cool." My dad grabbed the rest of my luggage for me and then we all started for home. I didn't say much at all during the car ride. I attempted to sleep while my dad and Jared talked up some business plans for the new restaurant. It seemed extremely unbelievable that a guy would come all the way to Canada to get tips on opening up a restaurant in Australia. A place that takes you twenty one hours to get to by flight and even longer by boat. I just didn't understand why? Why go through that trouble. It was stupid.

I guess all that should matter is that I'm on my way home. On my way to a nice comfy bed that I can sleep in as soon as I reach it. On my way home to a nice long phone call with Landon. Just on my way home in general.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come soon.
Comment/subscribe? (: