Unexpected Delight.

Dragging her feet.

she sat awkwardly at the table next to her boss's spoiled son. her redhair fell in gentle curls around her face, blocking her freckle covered cheeks from view.

she was embaressed. she was at skates and plates, that in itself was incredible.

but she was there as arm candy for her boss's giant prick of a son.

she couldn't beleive she let herself be talked into this.

she had more self respect than that, or she thought she did. but yet, here she sat, all dolled up and sitting next to the oldest son of her editor/boss.

she wore a form fitting black dress with lace a lace back, her tan trench coat hung over the back of her chair.

she crossed her legs, biting her plump lower lip nervously as she pretended to admire her patent leather turquoise heels.

she felt like a barbie doll. which was something she was not used to.

her job at the post-gazette was not a glamorous one. she had wanted the sports section, but she had been assigned to the advice column, worst of all, it was for Dating advice.

she was not the person to be giving out dating advice, she despised monogamy.

her last real relationship had gotten her heart broken, so of course, she vowed to never let it happen again.

so when her boss informed her that she would be escorting his son to skates and plates, she had politely declined.

but when he offered her the hockey column in the sports section if she went, she changed her tune.

A quiet cough drew the young woman's attention up from her shoes and to the face of a flustered looking James Neal. he was biting his lip, and trying to ask her if she would like more wine.

she glanced at her nearly empty glass thoughtfully. her first thought had been to get drunk, and try to enjoy herself as best she could.

but she decided on staying slightly sober, so she wouldn't do something she might regret.

she shook her head slightly, giving him a sympathetic smile. he made a face when her date turned his attention to his newly filled wine glass.

she snorted into her hand and tried to sniffle her giggles. her date, a tall brunette with emerald green eyes and a constant smirk on his face gave her a strange look, and excused himself to use the bathroom.

she amused herself with flirting thoughtlessly with a mobster looking player named kris, they chatted in french briefly, until he excused himself politely.

he explained that his team mate was trying to get his attention, he motioned to a tall blond man scowling across the room at him.

she raised an eyebrow at him curiously and the blond mans expression changed completely.

He shot her a charming smile and made his way over to her table.

his stride was long, so he covered the ground to her table quickly, but not quickly enough to stop her from escaping

she ran to the bathroom, not stopping until she was leaning on the cool marble counter tops.

she ran her hands over her face, desperately trying to calm herself down.

Jordan Staal flirting with her was not something she needed right now.

flirting with Kris had been fine, because she knew nothing would come of it. he was dedicated to his bleached blond barbie doll girlfriend, and nothing was going to change that.

it was just casual flirtatious banter. but she knew that it would easily become more if she let herself flirt with Jordan.

she peaked her head out of the bathroom, peering into the ballroom, spotting Jordan standing near her table looking utterly confused.

she felt a little guilty for disappearing on him, but she needed to compose herself before she had a conversation with him.

she smoothed her hair, double check her her makeup before walking back into the ballroom slowly. she tugged at the hem of her dress, pulling it down, hoping to avoid drawing attention to herself.

she felt a strong arm snake its way around her waist and lead her back towards the deserted hallway between the men and women's bathrooms.

she furrowed her carefully plucked brows in distaste and attempted to remove the strangers hand from her hips, but he held fast.

she spun around in his grasp, coming to face to face with Will, Her bosses son, and her 'Date' for the evening. his breath reeked of whiskey and his eyes were unfocused.

she sighed heavily, trying once again to remove his arm from her side, but he pulled her in closer, she tried not to wince as his other hand landed on her ass.

she tried to put space between them "William, you're drunk. let go of me." she said calmly, her hand reached for his, to pry it from her lower back/ass. but he dug in his fingers, refusing to let go.

"you're supposed to show me a good time" he slurred, pulling her body flush against his.

"William, let go of me, before I have to hurt you" she said, still in a calm and collected voice. but he ignored her, trying to kiss his way down her neck "I know you want me ginge" he mumbled against her skin, practically drooling down her dress.

"you are embarrassing me, yourself, and your father right now. you need to take your hands off me, before I make this whole situation way MORE embarrassing for you." she said sharply.

her arm made its way under his elbow and she had a firm grip on his wrist, prepared to bend it backwards when two of the players approached, looking concerned and almost protective.

she smiled at them sweetly "I think I can handle it boys." she informed them, starting to apply more pressure to William's wrist, pressing it backwards, causing him to grunt in surprise, which he quickly overcame "I'm sure you could handle me sweetheart" he muttered.

all the sudden she felt William being removed from her personal space forcefully and she heard the sound of him slamming against the wall behind them.

she spun around to find Jordan Staal pinning her bosses son against the wall of the ballroom, his forearm against his throat

"she said to let go, are you deaf, or just dumb?" Jordan growled, adding more pressure with his arm, causing William to sputter and wave his arms, choking out an apology, and deciding that it was best for him to head home.

She raised an eyebrow as William dusted himself off and stormed out of the ballroom haughtily.

she sighed heavily, glad she hadn't had to use force on the bosses kid, but also embarrassed that she now had to thank Jordan, which meant she had to speak to him.

he raised an eyebrow in return as his eyes landed back on her.

he waved off his team mates and darted his eyes towards the hallway, in a silent question, asking her to follow, so they could talk about what had just happened.

she followed him reluctantly,after informing Kris in brief french, that she was alright, and she would be back in a moment.

she entered the empty hallway, the door leading to a back alley was open to keep air circulating, but all it was doing now was making goose bumps rise on her exposed skin.

she shivered and wrapped her arms around herself, licking her lips as she peered around the corner, searching for her knight in shining armor.

she spotted him leaning against the brick wall in the alley way, near the dumpster. "Hell of a first impression you made on William" she said with a smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Theres a twist coming up. :)