Status: Active

The Red SOLO Cup Chronicles

Trois

I was frozen behind Anna-Leigh and Maxine, staring at the bloody body laying next to my car. I was almost positive the dude was dead because of the fist-sized gash in his chest. I had to turn my head away.
"Holy shit! Somebody call the cops! What the hell happened?" Maxine was trying hard not to freak out; I could see her beginning to panic.
"How could no one have noticed this?" I looked around me. There were plenty of people around to have seen this. Couples walking down the sidewalk, even a policeman a few yards away. "Um...what if they can't see it?" Chayce had noticed the same thing I had. He cursed under his breath and pulled out his phone, dialing 9-1-1.
I listened to him tell the 9-1-1 operator what was happening, trying to wrap my head around what was going on. There was a dead body leaning against my car, our night out had turned into a fucking episode of Law and Order, and the police might not be able to see it. Bloody hell!
"I can't believe this is happening." Anna-Leigh was staring straight at the corpse, death grip on my arm. I pulled her into me, trying to get her to look away. It wasn't a pretty sight.
"Stay calm, Anna, it'll be okay."
Maxine took a hesitant step toward the body, pointing. "Do you see that little book? What is that?" It looked like she was going to pick it up.
"No, Max! Let the police handle it." Chayce pushed her gently back. Max sighed and rolled her dark eyes.
"They might not be able to see it, Chayce. They probably can't! I mean, there are security guards and police officers a couple yards away! If they haven't come over here by now, they can't see it."
"She might be right, Chayce. I mean, who could miss something like this?"
Maxine moved to pick up the leather-bound book laying next to the corpse. Opening the front cover, she gasped.
"What is it, Max?"
"Our names are in here."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, Y'all.