Status: In progress :)

Haunt Me

11

Peyton lay on her bed with the letter spread over her pillow.
Dear Peyton,

I'm really sorry that I couldn't go to Layla's funeral. I just didn't think it would be very appropriate, all things considered.
Out of curiosity, what is your favorite flower? I've been giving you daffodils because your mother loved them. What about you?

Until Tomorrow,
SLK


Despite herself, Peyton smiled. He was taking an interest in her, which felt surprisingly nice. She wrote him back within the hour and went to sleep.

She woke up to the smell of bacon and found Darien in the kitchen. "What do you think you're doing?"

Darien glared up at her, "Cooking." He grunted, throwing a few strips of bacon onto a plate and burning himself.

A snort escaped her, "Okay, well, one: you've always been a terrible cook. Two: You're supposed to put some napkins under those, so my plates don't get all greasy. And three: I hope you like the taste of charcoal, 'cause that's not meat anymore."

Darien surrendered the stove and let his sister make them breakfast.

"Any reason you're so chipper this morning?" He asked. Peyton flung another pancake onto his plate, humming.

"I don't know. Today just feels different."

___________

"Thank you for your time, Sir." Sebastian stood and shook the hand of the bank manager. He'd been called in for an interview that morning, and it had gone extremely well.

"The pleasure was all mine, Mr. Kate." The man, Mr. Shingler, smiled and shook his had heartily. "I think you'll fit in quite nicely around here.

"I look forward to your call." Sebastian left, feeling very confident, and went to the grocery store.

As he was deciding between which percent milk to buy today, a familiar face came to greet him. "Sebastian?" A young woman named Alisha touched his shoulder to catch his attention. "Oh my goodness, I haven't seen you in a month!"

"Since I got fired, you mean?"

"Oh, don't be bitter. We're all out of a job now." She crossed her arms, focusing on which milk to take. She picked one up and set it in her cart. "Well, anyway, it's too bad about Layla, huh? She was such a wonderful lady."

Sebastian scooped up the closest carton and turned away from Alisha. "Yeah, she was." He started to walk away, but she followed him to the produce isle.

"So, I know we didn't get to talk a lot at work... I was just wondering, though, if you'd like to, um, go out to dinner sometime, or something." Her cheeks were pink, and she was staring intently at the zucchini in her left hand. Her short, bleach blond hair framed her face, and her eyes looked especially blue in contrast to the red. She was pretty- most would say beautiful- and he was flattered. It had een a while since he gave a second thought to dating.

"Alisha, I'm kind of interested in someone else. I'm sorry." He bagged his peppers and walked away, not wanting to the the disappointment on her face.

"Well, it was nice seeing you..."

Sebastian finished his shopping then got on the bus to Peyton's house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave some feedback.