Status: In progress :)

Haunt Me

15

"I didn't realize that mom was so... Well, loaded." Darien said after the waitress left their table with their orders. "Wasn't her company going down the tube?"

"I thought so, but some of it has to be that she doesn't have to run it anymore. She owned the building and now there's no bills to pay anymore." Peyton took a sip of her coffee, looking around the restaurant. "I haven't gotten a letter in a few days..."

He ignored the statement so she dropped it. They were silent until their food came and then they were back to their laughing, bickering selves.

"Look what I see." Darien sang. He was turning into her driveway and followed his gaze to the front porch where a white envelope waited for her with an Iris.

She quickly jumped from the passenger's side door and rushed to snatch it up. She didn't even bother looking around to see if her penpal stuck around. She knew he wasn't there.

Inside she put some slippers on and put a Beach Boys CD in the player and adjusted the volume so the singing wouldn't distract her.

"I'm heading back out."

Peyton looked over her shoulder to see Darien at the garage door, a smile stretched across his face. "Hot date?" She joked.

He blushed a bit. "You could say that." He closed the door behind himself and Peyton waited for the garage door to close to start reading.

Dear Peyton,

I thought long and hard about your last letter. That's why it's taken me so long to reply. Sorry about that.
This is what I've been thinking: I was worried that if you got to know me that you'd turn me in. As I thought about it more, though, I realized that it shouldn't matter. If you do choose to give me over to the police, then you can. I deserve it. Either was, I want you to get to know me and I'd like to get to know you, too.
So, I'm a Gemini. I'm adopted. I've never been in a serious relationship. My favorite television is Friends and I had a huge crush on Jennifer Aniston when she played Rachel. I don't have a preference between dogs and cats.

Now you? I'd love to know more about you, Peyton Emmerson.

SLK


Peyton set the letter on the coffee table with a stupid smile on her face. She turned the television on and flipped over to netflix. Friends wasn't On Demand so she rented it, looking forward to starting the first season.

She picked up her cell phone to text.

Hey. You wanna come over for a movie tonight?

Sorry, I'm on a date. Rain check?

when?

Tomorrow

Peyton took her notebook out and began writing to SLK until she finally fell asleep.