Status: In progress :)

Haunt Me

3

She stared out her bedroom window, wearing a pink camisole and Kenny's blue boxers. A steaming cup of creamed coffee rested in her hands. She'd stopped crying an hour earlier, it was late, but Kenny still refused to leave her side. He'd gone into the kitchen to get her some Moose Trax ice cream. Her favorite.

He climbed onto her bed, by her side, and set the big cold bowl by her knee. "Thank you." She sniffed, setting her mug on the black, wooden bedside table.

"Not a problem, Darling." He kissed her gently on the forehead then hopped off the bed to grab a book from her grey bookshelf. He pulled one off and showed it to her. "Is this one any good?"

The cover of A Carnivore's Inquiry gazed back at her. "I loved it, but I don't think it would interest you." He frowned and placed it back on the shelf. After a few minutes he settled on rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Peyton gulped down another too-big spoonful of ice cream, giving herself a brain freeze as Kenny crawled under the yellowish comforter. She continued to stare out the window for another hour, nodding off when the sun peaked up above the horizon.

--

"Hey, Honey. You should get up." Kenny spoke softly into her ear. He was spooning her; Peyton yawned and flipped onto her other side to give him a peck on the lips. She hadn't dreamed that night.

A squeal released her lips while she stretched, curling her toes as each muscle in her body gasped for air. It took her a few moments to remember why her cheeks were damp. Kenny wrapped his arms around her, placing her head on his shoulder to let her cry.

After a few minutes, Peyton's sobs were reduced to sniffles. She nuzzled her face into his neck and gave him a quick kiss before sitting up. "Thank you, Honey. I should go get ready for school, though. Only a couple days left before summer break..."

Kenny grabbed her shoulder and lay her back down. "I already called you in. You have the last few days off. Don't worry about anything but you and your family for a while." He kissed her neck softly, sliding his hand down her arm. Peyton scrunched her nose and pushed him away a bit. Not taking the hint, Kenny started nibbling on her ear and kissed her lips heavily. His hands rode up her body from her thighs, his fingers grabbing at her flesh. One of his hands made his way up to her breast and groped. Peyton grunted in protest. With a sigh, Kenny lifted himself to look down on her.

"You're right," Peyton shifted herself in a way so she wasn't underneath him anymore. "I need to focus on my family. I should call Darien." She climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom. Her dishwater blond hair was matted to her head in the mirror, her shoulder slumped and makeup rimmed her eyes, accenting the bags.

Kenny followed her into the bathrom and brushed her hair behind her shoulders. It was awkward for him to bed down to press his lips on her shoulder, because he was at least six inches taller than her. His skin and breath was hot against her, but she glared into the mirror. "Go home, Kenneth."

His head shot up, realizing how serious she was. "You're kidding me."

"I'm not." Her voice came out rough and harsh. She grabbed her hairbrush off the grey-green counter top and ripped the knots out of her hair. Her eyes were locked on their own reflection; She refused to look at him.

"Why, might I ask?" She could feel his gaze boring into the back of her head.

"Because, right now you're not interested in me or my feelings. You're just focused on sex. First of all: I've told you a million times that I'm waiting until we're married. Second: My mother died last night. I think that under the circumstances it's quite understandable that I am not interested.

Kenny left without another word.

--

"Yeah, you should come stay with me for a while." Peyton wipped her eyes with her wrist, makeup long gone. She and Darien had been on the phone for two hours; Peyton had called him only minutes after Kenny left. "The visitation is going to be in a couple days."

"You can expect me by tomorrow morning." Darien's voice was a wonderful rarity now-a-days. They'd gotten along really well growing up, but once Peyton had left for college, they didn't talk as much. Now their only conversations happened when Darien came home for holiday. "I love you, Sis."

"I love you, too, Dare." There was a knock on the front door. "I hate to do this, but I've got to go. I can't wait to see you tomorrow." She hung up and stuffed the phone in the front pocket of her denim shorts. When she opened the door, no one was there. On the place mat, though, was an envelope. On it read I'm sorry in messy hand writing. She smiled, picking up the envelope, and went inside to read it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for being so patient! Comments?