Status: In progress :)

Haunt Me

5

"Mr. Kate?" Sebastian walked into the office of Dr. Emily Woode, the doctor who had been taking care of his mother for a year. He shook her hand, trying to be friendly, despite the decision he was about to make.

"Thank you for seeing me, Dr. Woode." He sat down in the chair opposite her's, the desk acting as a barrier between the two. He folded his sweaty hands in his lap, periodically wiping the perspiration onto his baggy denim jeans.

"What can I do for you, Sebastian?" Her hands lay lazily on her desk while she leaned forward a bit in her tall black chair, faking interest. Her blond- but graying- hair was pulled up in a tight bun, her hazel eyes examined him. They were a color that- if you looked away for only a moment- later you'd forget what shade they were. It was eerie. He wasn't sure of her age; she looked young, unless you really payed attention to her skin while she talked. At one point, she was likely the prettiest girl in town. Now, though, it looked as if she reapplied her makeup three or four times a day to hide her aging. Would his own mother do that if she was not in a state of vegetation? At an age of seventy-four, she of course had many deep wrinkles that could use some covering.

To himself, Sebastian wondered how many men had to make the decision of pulling the plug on their mother, and only and age of twenty-eight. Of course, most mother's weren't as old as his, with sons at his age. Sebastian Lawrence Kate had been adopted at birth by Lawrence and Sebrina Kate, and obviously named after them. She hadn't been able to have children, but always wanted them. He was their "little blessing", they'd always said. His father died ten years ago, from a heart attack. He figured out at a young age that he was adopted, when he started making friends that looked at least similar to their parents. Both of his parents were short, plump people with blond hair. Lawrence had brown eyes; Sebrina had green eyes. On the other hand, Sebastian grew to be six foot by the time he was in middle school, he had curly black hair, freckles, and blue eyes. The only thing remotely similar was that Sebastian, like his father, needed glasses. By this age, though, Sebastian had started using contacts. None of it mattered, though. He never loved them any less.

"Is there any progress on my mother?" He asked every day, hoping for better results. It never came. Today was no exception.

"I'm sorry, Sebastian, but no." Over the past year, Dr. Woode and Sebastian became friendly, but she'd never had a personal interest in his mother. He had a feeling that she was more sorry for his loss an actually losing a patient. She'd never seemed like the kind of person that became a doctor because she wanted to help. It seemed more likely that she did it, simply because she could. He wiped the sweat off his hands, again.

"I think it's time then- to pull the plug." He sighed in defeat. Dr. Woode seemed less than surprised.

"Are you absolutely sure?" She sat back in her chair, resting her hands on her stomach with her fingers intertwined.

Sebastian slumped back in his own chair, clasping his hands on the arms of it. "Look, Doc, I just got fired from my job, have no other source of income, and she's not making any progress. It's time; it's what she would want."

The arrangements were made, and by the end of the night, Sebrina Kate was gone.

Riding the bus home was tiresome. He couldn't stop thinking about his mother. Now he was an orphan. Thinking about his own mother made him think of Layla Emmerson. That poor woman. The first of two this weed of who's lives he had ended. That woman who had employed him right out of college, the very year she'd opened the catering business, five years ago. Having to take his mother off of life support wasn't Layla's fault, but he'd just been so angry... Now what he'd done to that wonderful woman's family. Peyton and Darien... They would never have their mother again. Sebastian knew it hadn't been his place to take that away from them. Nothing he would do would ever fix what he'd done. That's why he'd written to Peyton. Whether or not she would ever forgive him- he had to apologize. She deserves it.

He took out his notebook from the tan satchel sitting next to him on the bus seat and began to write to her, again. Something about it made him feel a little bit better.