Cabinet of Perturbation

Alois

This is where it all began. I heard moaning noises from somewhere off in the distance as I began to have a small headache. I opened my eyes and looked around, my sight was incredibly blurry. I had to blink a few times to get it back to normal. It looked like I was in a small cell. A lantern hung above me with two ropes leading in different directions. One led to the door while the other was attached to a phonograph. I sat up on this uncomfortable. There was hay covering the floor and an empty bottle.
Where was I?
Better yet, who was I?
I walked toward the phonograph that was standing by hay and a table with a single candle on it. I decided to turn it and listen to the recording, what else could I do? I heard more moaning coming from outside the cell. What was that? Just then the recording turned on.
“Bievenue, you are now listening to the sound of my disembodied voice” the females voice rang through the room. It sounded familiar but I could not put my finger on it. It continued with, “It will serve you no purpose to look for me, for this is a voice from the past. I bid you welcome to my Cabinet of Perturbation. It is my study of the human psyche - specifically yours. A set of recording have been prepared to chaperone you through the chambers ahead. There are a few parts to this study and it’s up to you - not only to pass, but figure out what elements are important. Please go on, move into the next cell. Just remember they can all be saved, there is always a way.” The recording stopped and I could not help but stare at the phonograph in a bit of awe and confusion. Why is my psyche so important to this woman? Really, who is this woman? I walked toward the door and tried to open it to find out that it was locked. I stared at it annoyed, how was I supposed to get out now? I looked at the rope and thought about it… maybe… I climbed onto the bed and untied the lantern and I heard some clicks. It was a weight trigger… thing I jumped down of the bed and tried to figure out a way to hold the lantern easily. I quickly tied it to my belt buckle and opened the door. I heard a ‘rawring’ sound. I felt a sudden urge to go back into my small cell and lock myself inside, but a part of me was pulling me forward. I walked around the corridor into I hit a dead end that contained a piece of a ladder. Maybe that was one of the important things the woman mentioned. I picked it up praying I was correct. I began to walk back and wander around until I heard the sound again. I flattened myself up against the wall as my heart began to beat a million miles an hour. A voice in my head told me to continue and I listened. Maybe I am just hearing things? I finally hit a door and opened it. It led to a wide open room with many different cells in it. A closed the door behind me hoping the noise will stay out there.
“Hello, is someone there?” I heard a voice. I walked toward the sound to see a man blindfolded and strapped to a table in one of the cells. “Whoever you are, if you could help me, I would be much obliged” the man said. I noticed a lever beside his cell and thought that was too easy. That couldn’t save him right? I looked around; there were about five other cells. Maybe they can hold a hint to what I should do? I walked to the first one to the right of the door I entered and then heard a horrid sound. I closed the door and threw myself against the wall beside it.
“Is that you, my love?” a new man asked aloud, his voice sounded like it was from a sick man. He was gasping for breath and it sounded like chains were moving when he walked. Out of curiosity I peered through the door and saw a monster. His skin was pale and cuts were all over his body, that includes a huge ‘X’ on his chest. He had chains wrapped around his arms and legs and a metal contraption around his neck. It was also completely naked. The scariest thing, that was actually good for me, was he had no eyes. “Where did you go? Come back!” he gasped as he walked in the opposite direction of me, “please, come back!” He paced around the room for a little while sometimes muttering “why did this happen?” or “please come back.” After a while he just gave up and left. I gave a sigh of relief as the sound of his chains disappeared. I looked around the cell I was in for the first to see not much. A fallen table, a bucket, a violin, and a pool of blood. I opened the door and quickly left and walked to the next cell which did not have nothing much in it. Some of the bricks were dislodged and that was it. I walked into the next cell which seemed to be the most interesting. My eyes went straight to a table that contained the words ‘Forgive Me’ written in blood and a note underneath it. I gulped as I picked up the note and began to read it.

Justine, my love. I know I am not as talented as Malo or as strong as Basile, but I am certain my love is truer. Do not my scares tell you so? I will continue to cut myself as long as it pleases you. I would even kill Basile if you wish. I know you say you like it, but he is hurting you. I will trick him to consume to the Bromide. Poor Justine. I will help, just ask me to help.
-Alois

The names all sounded familiar and I could not help but feel disgusted and sympathy for this man. For some strange reason I found myself smiling, like part of me like it. I shook my head and put the letter down and just backed out of the room nearly tripping over a racket. I checked the other three to see nothing. I looked around to see if there was any other help. Only boxes, barrels, and something on the ceiling. There was a whole in the ceiling with part of a ladder sticking out of it but there was also part of the ceiling sticking of it beside it. Maybe there can be some help up there, but if there wasn’t I would just leave the room and hope to come back to save the man who was currently moaning. I began to stack up the barrels and boxes and some how made it to the small landing. There were only more boxes and barrels. I got annoyed and threw some of them off the landing. Maybe the lever? Part of me still believed it was a bad idea. Then I saw it. I crawled over to see something in the crack of the wall. I picked it up to see it was useless wax tape used in phonographs. I put it in my pocket hoping it will end up handy. I looked back at the man feeling bad. I took the piece of ladder and attached it to the ladder hanging from the ceiling.
I hope I am doing the right thing. I began to climb the ladder wishing good luck for the man.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like it <3 Comment if you do.
There will be more.
(Sorry if it sucks)