Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

Beside You

I was out of breath by the time I made it home. I thought I told Cian to stay with his family? I headed into the house, closing the door behind me with a sigh and dropped my purse onto the table. I slipping out of my shoes and dragged my feet into the kitchen to unpack the basket and place the remains in the fridge to nibble on later. I grabbed a bottle of water and took with me into the living room and plopped myself down on the couch. I was just about the turn on the TV when the door blasted open and Cian stood there with a look of pure rage.

“What the hell were you doing at the Secret Garden with that guy?” he demanded. He hadn’t even closed the door, or removed his shoes. The warm breeze wafted inside and I lifted a brow.

“I went there to have a picnic and he showed up. So?” I asked, confused as to why he looked ready to blow his top.

Slamming the door behind him, he kicked off his shoes and hit the wall in the process before stomping to where I sat on the couch with the remote sitting uselessly in my grasp while I stared up at him. His glittering eyes narrowed as he leaned down, bracing his hands on either side of my head.

“I don’t like him, there’s something off. I don’t want you around him alone,” he said seriously, his jaw working furiously and I felt the first spark of temper.

“Um, if I recall I’m of legal age to decide who I want to hang around with and last time I checked, you’re not my brother for that matter,” I said with annoyance.

“Damn it, Misa!” he cried, making me jolt in surprise as he straightened and pulled away. “Why can’t you just listen to what I’m trying to say? First, you say you don’t want me to spend my Thanksgiving with you, saying you’ll be fine and then you go out with that guy?”

I looked at him astonished. “Cian, it’s not like I arranged to meet him there. He just showed up when I was having my own Thanksgiving dinner,” I said slowly.

His jaw twitched as he stared me down, obviously still enraged but now actually seeming be thinking clearer than moments earlier. He was silent as he begun to pace back and forth, running his hands through his disheveled hair until he stopped before and the rage had lessened into a pleading glance.

“Misa, please...just listen to me, okay? There’s something off about him, and I’ve heard some things about his family...” he said quietly as he begun to pace again, his eyes filled with worry and I frowned. He was actually really strange and I wondered if he actually meant what he was saying.

“What about his family? I already know about his parents, he told me,” I said with the shake of my head.

He turned and pinned me with a serious look. “Did he tell you that his father used to beat the crap out of his mother on a daily basis, or that he himself is just like his father?” he retorted and my mouth dropped open in surprise.

“Cian!” I admonished, but he waved his hand dismissively as he paced back and forth.

“Do you?” he demanded, halting in front of me, seeming to vibrate with anger. Deciding to stick to the safe route, I shook my head and he nodded. “I thought so.”

“So, you’re saying he beats women just like his father?” I asked, confused and somewhat doubtful. Jordan was such a sweet guy, how could he do something like that?

“Stories travel, Misa. It was only a few months ago when Serena who owns the Bakery down the street said one of his ex girlfriends came in with a black and blue face, trying to hide it with makeup and sunglasses,” he said seriously, his voice wary as he plopped himself next to me.

He ran his hands through his hair with a deep sigh and shielded his eyes with his hand. His posture was that of stress and exhaustion. I could tell he was genuinely concerned, but I didn’t deem Jordan as a threat. If he was that type of person, he could have done what he wanted with me today in the Secret Garden. Instead, he was polite and gentlemanly and I actually had a great time with him.

“Those are things that just have traveled through the grape vine,” I said quietly and looked at him carefully from under my lashes. “The stories change as people continue to tell others.”

His eyes shot daggers into mine, causing me to inhale sharply at the intensity. “And rumors always hold a seed of truth.”

I couldn’t deny him that, but I couldn’t say Jordan beat women either. I shook my head with a sigh and gave a shrug, curling my legs under me.

“What do you want me to say, Cian? I went out by myself, expecting to have dinner alone for Thanksgiving because you didn’t show up, and he just appeared out of nowhere all alone, so I invited him to have a picnic with me,” I said with frustration seeping into my voice and he jumped to his feet angrily.

“You specifically told me that you didn’t want me to come!” he shouted and I saw a vein pop out in his neck. I’ve never seen him this angry before and I don’t like it...not one bit.

“Well I know I said that, but I didn’t think you’d actually listen to me!” I countered feebly, feeling stupid as I adverted my gaze.

He sighed and lifted his face to the ceiling, trying to control his temper. He breathed out heavily and lowered his head to glare at me.

“I came to find you, having felt horrible for even listening to you in the first place and I find you running away, leaving that guy behind.”

I shrugged, oblivious to the actual problem. I tossed my hands up. “So what, Cian? What the hell is the big problem?”

His eyes glittered dangerously. “The problem is he’s dangerous, I know he is and you’re hanging out with him alone. How can I protect you if you keep running off?”

I rose to my feet, my adrenaline running. “I never asked you to protect me!”

“Damn it, you need protection especially with this creep following you around like a lost puppy!” he cried, swinging his arms out wildly.

“What do you think you do, Cian?” I spat and was shocked when the room fell silent.

I watched the anger fade from his eyes and saw the trace of hurt in them as his expression fell. His shoulders dipped and he lowered his head with a sigh. I bit my tongue, instantly regretting the words that had left my mouth. Shame and guilt flooded my veins and hesitantly I took a step forward and sighed.

“Cian...” I began quietly, but he jerked as if I burnt him.

He shook his head and lifted his hurtful eyes to meet mine and smiled grimly. As the seconds past, I watched those eyes harden and sensed the distant barrier he placed between us.

“Fine,” he said in a low voice. “Protect yourself.”

I opened my mouth to beg him to stay, to apologize but he turned and disappeared out the door, slamming it behind him leaving me in complete silence. I dropped back onto the couch with a sigh and gazed around the room, wondering what the hell just happened. Am I really stuck between two guys?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title adapted from Marianas Trench--Beside You

DUN DUN DUN!!
Uh oh, trouble in paradise!

What do you think is going to happen? Comment your thoughts!

lAuRa