Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

Heartbeat

When we made it to the theater, picking a movie wasn’t hard. There were so many I had wanted to see. We discussed it with each other until we came to a conclusion. We sat in the theater, the room dark as we munched on our popcorn waiting for the movie to start. As the screen brightened and the previews began rolling, Jordan surprised me. He set the popcorn aside and smiled at me shyly. Then I felt his fingers brush and intertwine with mine.

The warmth from his hand spread through my fingertips throughout my body. A conflict of emotions rushed through me like a strong wind. I was torn between my feelings for Cian and these newly discovered ones for Jordan. He really was a good guy. I replayed Cian’s word in my mind. Rebuilding my resolve, I decided that if he didn’t want to be with me I was fine with that. I squeezed Jordan’s hand lightly and smiled.

The blush was noticeable in the bright light from the screen and he looked away. I giggled quietly as the movie began and captured our attention. We sat like that the entire movie.

When the lights came on during the rolling credits, we rose to our feet. Our hands remained entwined as we passed through the crowds, piling from the theater. The cool air was refreshing as we stepped out into the winter night. We began the trek home, passing through the park along the way.

“Thanks for coming with me tonight,” Jordan said graciously. “I had fun.”

I ducked my head and smiled. “I had fun too. Thank you for asking me.”

He smiled and we walked through the park in silence. The rest of the city faded away the more distance we walked. The stars twinkled above in the dark sky and the night was peacefully quiet. I felt his touch and fought back a smile as he took my hand in his. Butterflies exploded in my stomach and the blood rushed to my cheeks, deepening the color from the cold. We continued on until the bridge came into sight. My smile fell as my eyes rested upon it. The memory of that special rainy day passed through my mind. My heart began to ache at the sudden loss of that moment.

I felt his green eyes on me. “Is everything okay?”

I gave a sigh and squeezed his hand. “Yeah...everything is okay.”

He sidestepped so our bodies brushed together. “Are you sure? You seem unhappy.”

I relished the heat that radiated from his body. “No, just thinking is all. It’s almost Christmas.”

He smiled. “That it is. Any special plans?”

“Not really, just staying at home. My friends will be gone with their families.”

“I know that feels. I’ll be alone as well. I don’t count the presence of my Dad because his mind is elsewhere.”

I heard the resentment and looked at him carefully. His face was drawn and he seemed upset. His jaw was clenched, his eyes hard as we stepped onto the bridge. I remembered him talking about his father and his drinking habits. I felt sad.

“Well, how would you like to spend Christmas together? No one should be alone on Christmas. We could make it a little party,” I said with a smile. I felt a burst of happiness when his eyes and face softened.

He looked at me sincerely. “I’d like that.”

“It’s a date then,” I said, repeating his earlier words and he laughed.

“You’re something special, Misa.”

I blushed. “No, I’m not.”

“Of course you are. You’re unique, kind and compassionate,” he said honestly.

We had stopped walking and were now facing each other in the center of the bridge. The street lamp cast a golden light over his features. His eyes sparkled in the dimness and my heart began to beat like a drum to an unheard beat.

He bit his lip shyly. “I like you, Misa. I know I already told you that night of the dance, but...”

The warmth spread through my body at his words. I couldn’t help but smile at his shyness. He shuffled his feet nervously. I squeezed his hand and waited until he met my gaze.

“You know...I think I like you too,” I realized out loud with a thoughtful expression.

He laughed and raised an eyebrow. “You think?”

I chuckled and playfully nudged him with my elbow. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do. I just wanted to tease you a little. I enjoy seeing you blush.”

His comment caused my blush to deepen and he chuckled as we continued our way home.

After a few minutes of silence, I sighed. “It’s going to be so strange this year. Not having Christmas with Derek.”

He was quiet for a little bit before he spoke. “I know.”

I remembered that he had lost his mother. “It’s nice to be able to talk to someone who understands what I’m feeling. My friends, they try...but it’s not the same.”

“I know what you mean,” he said as he started to swing our hands back and forth. I giggled and he flashed me a wolfish grin.

When we reached my house, I stopped and turned to face him. I smiled at our joined hands.

“Once again, thank you for a wonderful evening, Jordan.”

He dipped his head in an old gentlemanly gesture. “It was my pleasure.”

“See you Christmas Eve?”

“I’ll be there.”

I smiled and turned to go inside, but his hand stopped me. I turned curiously and he climbed the steps to stand before me. Our bodies brushed together on the top step and I stared up at him.

His free hand reached up to touch my face and my mouth ran dry. “May I?”

His voice was husky and smooth like whiskey. His breath was warm as it washed over my face.

I knew what he was asking, but my mind had gone completely blank. “What?” My voice came out as a breathy whisper and he smiled.

Caressing my face, he leaned down until our lips were almost touching. “Kiss you.”

My heart took off at a sprint. My fingertips and toes tingled. I swallowed, unable to speak.

He laughed lowly, a purely male sound that vibrated in his chest. Warm, supple lips brushed against mine and the world faded out of focus. The kiss was not the explosive sensation I had with Cian. It was sweet and gentle, a kiss that slowly built up with feeling and sensation followed. My eyes drifted closed and I melted against him. My hands lifted and curled into the front of his black coat. I pressed my body flush against his, my blood warming slowly in my veins. His hand moved from my face to curl into my hair. His tongue brushed against my lips, urging them apart. I did as he wished and immediately he deepened the kiss. My blood was on fire at this point. The smoldering had burst into a wildfire I sighed against his lips.

He gave my hair a playful tug and gently broke the kiss. I opened my eyes dreamily and found his dark with desire.

“Goodnight, my lovely,” he murmured.

I was dazed as he smiled and turned away. I watched as he skipped down the steps and closed the gate behind him. He flashed me a smile before disappearing down the street. I was bewildered. It was nothing compared to Cian. Where he was fire and flames, Jordan was slow smoldering flames that grew until it burned strongly. The difference was great and gave me something to think about.

Entranced, I opened the door and stepped inside to an empty house. I locked the door and removed my shoes, dropping my purse onto the table by the door. I removed my jacket and hung it up behind the door and stepped toward the stairs. Thundering footsteps ran across upstairs until my two girlfriends appeared at the top, eyes wide in surprise.

I blinked at them still dazed. “Were you watching? I asked dumbly.

“Oh. My. God!”

I smiled stupidly, feeling high as she jumped down the stairs and tackled me laughing.

“Was that Jordan?” asked Hannah innocently though she was smiling with a glint in her eye.

I nodded numbly, still grinning. Sara squealed and did her version of a happy dance before pulling me into an embrace.

“Misa, that was so hot! You were like, all over each other!” she laughed excitedly.

“Where did you guys go?” asked Hannah as Sara ushered me upstairs. We stepped into my room and I fell back onto the bed with a bounce. They gathered around me, eager for me to talk about the night events.

“We went to the movies. Cian was here when Jordan showed up.”

“What did he say?”

“Nothing, just asked where we were going. I pretty much ignored him and rubbed in his face that he isn’t the only fish in the sea.”

Sara grinned. “That’s my girl.”

Hannah frowned. “He seemed awfully upset earlier. That’s why the guys took him out for the night to a Sport’s Bar.”

I frowned, climbing down from the clouds. “Well, he should have thought about it before he said what he did.”

“I agree,” Sara said wholeheartedly with her hand raised. “He deserves everything that’s coming to him.”

Hannah sighed and fiddled with the hem of her sweat pants. “I feel sort of bad for him...really, he did look upset.”

I felt a twinge of guilt and Sara rolled her eyes with a sigh.

“Way to go, Hannah. Ruin the girl’s good mood!”

“I’m sorry, but it’s true!”

I rose from the bed with my hands out to silence them. “As much as it bothers me he was upset, I’m not going to read too much into it. He shouldn’t have acted the way he did so now he can deal with the results.”

Sara nodded firmly. “Right.”

I looked at them curiously. “Were you guys waiting for me?”

Hannah’s frown transformed into a smile. “The guys wanted to go out, so we figured this would be the perfect opportunity to have some bonding time.”

“Perfect,” I said with a smile.

We started off the night with facial masks. We gathered all of our beauty products and did each other’s nails. We talked about everything from school and colleges, to boys. In other words, just acting like girls.

When I went to sleep that night with my best friends on either side of me, I dreamed of Jordan.

And then Cian appeared and it transformed into a nightmare.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title adapted from Iyaz--Heartbeat

Do me a favor 'kay?
Before you start reading this chapter, go to youtube and type in Heartbeat by Iyaz. This is the BEST song for this chapter and any other future love scene, and was my inspiration for all the romance ^^

Comment, lovelies!

lAuRa