Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

New Beginnings

My house looked like a giant disco ball. I never should have introduced Sara and Terra. As soon as they eyed each other up and decided they were okay with each other, they went crazy on my house. Lights were hung everywhere along with flashy streamers and big bold taped on letters reading ‘Happy New Years’.

I shook my head, looking away from the sparkly mess. I moved to the kitchen where Jordan was working at the stove with Cian. Since Christmas they had grown pretty close and seemed to be the best of friends. Now, they were putting their culinary skills together to make some snacks and dinner.

Terra poked her head in and grinned. “We totally have to have a few drinks tonight!”

I thought back to Christmas Eve and wrinkled my nose. “I think I’m good. You guys can, but I’ll stick with my hot chocolate.”

She began to pout and I laughed, pushing her face away from mine. She chuckled and turned her attention to Cian. Sliding over, she leaned into him and rose on the tips of her toes to meet him in a kiss. I suppose I forgot to mention that they were dating now. Did it bother me? Not at all. I had started dating Jordan soon after Christmas when he took me out for dinner. He had presented me with a stargazer lily and asked me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes. What was funny was that Cian had did the same thing, at the same restaurant. We found each other and ended up having a double date.

It’s strange how things work out, isn’t it?

After Terra ran off to find Sara, I leaned around Cian and stuck my finger in his bowl of homemade chip dip. He motioned to smack my fingers, but I already stuck the coated one in my mouth. He pretended to be upset, but I knew he was silently awaiting my opinion. I spread it across my tongue, the flavor bursting in my mouth like pop rocks. It was good. I raised my eyebrows and nodded, grabbing some more. I danced away, giggling when he began to chase me.

I wandered through the house to see all what Terra and Sara had affected and sighed. They even infected my bedroom. I stepped inside, ignoring the streamers and sparkling balloons that decorated the walls and my furniture. With a sigh, I plopped back on my bed. Another year had gone by. We would be graduating soon. My face scrunched up at the thought.

I had already filled out applications for colleges and universities and did have some replies back. I wanted to stick close to home, so I was considering going to the local college in the city. Thinking of college, I hadn’t asked my friends what they’re plans were. Sitting up, I hollered for Sara and Hannah. Terra just happened to tag along.

“What are you screaming for?” asked Sara with her hands full of streamers. I rolled my eyes.

“Where are you guys going after High School?”

All eyes turned to me with surprise. I lifted an eyebrow and waited patiently.

Sara looked away. “Well, I got accepted to some colleges away from here.” There was hesitation in her tone.

I frowned, feeling my heart sink. “How far away from here?”

She looked at me sheepishly. “Like California?”

My mouth dropped. “That’s like 3000 miles away!”

She rolled her eyes. “It’s not that far, Misa.”

“It’s far enough!”

“What about you?” Hannah asked curiously, diverting the conversation. I sighed.

“I’m planning on accepting the offer for the college here. I can’t just leave this house while I’m away. Who would take care of it for me?”

Sara bit her lip. “You could sell it.”

My body tensed. “No.”

“Misa...”

“The answer is no, Sara. Leave it alone,” I said firmly. She gave a sigh, but said nothing more about it.

I looked to Hannah. “Where are you going?”

She smiled. “I got accepted to Pen State.”

I lifted an eyebrow. “Oh? That’s great, Hannah. What about Fox and Jack?”

Sara frowned while Hannah smiled. I could already guess what was happening.

“Fox got accepted as well, so we’re going together,” said Hannah happily. Sara remained silent.

I looked to her with a frown. “He’s not going, is he?”

She shook her head, playing with a streamer. “He has his Dad’s business to take over.”

“Are you guys still going to see each other?”

“Well, we’ve been talking about it but we’re both going to be so busy...” Her voice cracked and she swallowed, the signal that the waterworks were happening. Sara hardly ever cried.

I sighed. “Oh, honey,” I crooned and pulled her onto my lap. Hannah gathered around us and Terra seemed misplaced.

“I’m going to see how the guys are doing,” she said with an understanding smile and disappeared.

I smoothed Sara’s hair as she sniffled. “Everything will be okay. It’ll work out. You guys have been dating for so long, it’s not even funny.”

She gave an unladylike snort. “So? People break up all the time.”

“What you and Jack have is real, Sara,” Hannah said softly, holding her hand. “You guys share a love that’s meant to last. You both are strong people.”

She lifted her head with a tiny sniffle that made me want to laugh. She was so cranky and cute when she was upset. I gave her a squeeze and she groaned like a zombie.

“Cheer up! Everything will work out, I know it.”

She pulled away and wiped her eyes with a smile. “Thanks guys. This is why I love you.”

I smiled as she disappeared to wash her face. She didn’t want Jack to see her puffy eyes. Today was supposed to be a fun day. Together we made our way downstairs and dispersed to do our own things. I poked my head back into the kitchen and chuckled.

“Are you guys ever going to take a break?”

Jordan flashed me a grin as he worked expertly at the stove. “Sometime soon, I think. Do you want some company?” He flashed me a wink and I giggled.

Cian groaned and rolled his eyes. “Anymore and I just might puke all over dinner.”

I narrowed my eyes at him as Jordan drew me into his arms. “I have to listen to you and Terra, so suck it up, Buttercup.”

Terra snickered, appearing in the kitchen as silent as a ninja. I swear that sometimes she moved with shadows. She playfully flicked Cian’s nose and he glared, rubbing it.

“She is right you know.”

“So? I don’t want to see or listen to it.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled over at me. “His head is so thick, it’s like a coconut.”

I snorted with laughter and Jordan kissed the top of my head. Cian glowered.

“It is not.”

“Okay, dear.” She patted his arm with a sympathetic smile. He reached around and gave her a hard smack in the tush and she squealed, rushing from the room. He smiled after her before returning to the counter.

I smiled up at Jordan. “Care to take a walk with me?”

He looked over my head to Cian. “Mind watching everything for a bit?”

Cian gave a shrug, not bothering to look. “No man, I got it. Go get some fresh air,” he said as he walked past, but grabbed Jordan’s arm and leaned in. “Oh, do me a favor...toss her in a snow bank for me,” he added in a whisper.

I reached around Jordan and smacked him when he started to laugh. My boyfriend pushed me into the living room with a chuckle. He helped me into my coat and followed me out into the cool, crisp day. For the middle of winter, it was pretty nice out. We walked together hand in hand down the snow covered street. We joked around each other and shared some laughs. Eventually we got into a minor snowball fight, but it ended when Jordan accidentally hit a parked car. We ran from the scene laughing.

When we returned to the house, the party had already started. Everyone had drinks in their hand and were sitting around in the living room, chatting.

Sara smiled up at me. “There you guys are! We thought you were kidnapped.”

I snorted and removed my shoes and jacket. I plopped down beside her and smiled. “Nah, we just went for a walk.”

Her eyebrow lifted curiously and I shook my head. She sighed in disbelief and I laughed.

“Want some?” she asked, showing me her drink. I shook my head.

“No thanks, I’m good.”

“How come your not drinking?” Terra asked curiously. Silence fell over us and I avoided looking at Jordan. My cheeks went up in flames and I saw Cian narrow his eyes.

“I just don’t feel like it is all.” I added a shrug.

Hannah patted my hand. “Good for you. I’m only having a few and that’s enough for me.”

I smiled and watched Jordan disappear into the kitchen to check on his meal. The others broke off into their own conversations so I went to join him. Walking up behind him, I wrapped my arms around his waist. He chuckled.

“Are you stalking me?” he teased.

I smiled, pressing my cheek against his strong back. “Yes, I’m your own personal stalker.”

“Oh good, I’ve always wanted one of those.” There was a smile in his voice and on his lips when he turned in my hold. His eyes danced.

I laughed and buried my face into his chest, his chin resting on the top of my head. His arms came around me comfortably as the contents on the stove sizzled away.

“So what’s for supper?”

“Stir fry with sliced grilled chicken breasts and crispy vegetables.”

“Yummy...I think I’m starting to drool.” He laughed and gave me a squeeze before releasing me.

I took a step back as he turned back to the stove. I smiled as he became absorbed and headed back out to the living room. Laughter ran through the house and I just stood aside and watched. I had all the people I cared about under one roof with me. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

“Then there was that time when Misa tried cutting the grass.” I tuned in to the conversation, staying hidden. Hannah giggled.

“That was horrible.”

Cian snorted. “That was more than just horrible. She almost killed the neighbour’s dog!”

“How did she managed that?” I heard Terra’s surprise. My face grew hot at the memory.

“Derek had tweaked the lawn mower a bit so it was a bit more powerful than before,” Cian said wryly and I rolled my eyes. That’s an understatement.

“She went to cut the grass and started the mower. Well, the whole thing took off before she could grab it.”

Cian laughed. “It headed straight for the dog and she chased after it before it ran over.”

“Did the dog get hurt?” There was concern in Terra’s voice.

“No, Misa managed to scare him off. Worst part was the poor animal was deaf so he couldn’t hear it.”

“Wow.”

Sara snorted with laughter. “Ah, Misa. There’s always laughter there.”

I rolled my eyes, How embarrassing. I was saved from hearing more stories about myself when Jordan announced dinner was done. We all gathered around the table and had a blast. We talked away happily with each other over a full course meal. The first bite all the way to the end was absolutely delicious. The girls and I cleaned up the dishes seeing as the men cooked the meal. We returned to the living room where Jack and Fox had set up a Scene It game. This we played all the way until close to midnight.

I shut it off and switched the channel to watch the ball drop. They were getting ready for the big countdown. I snuggled up to Jordan and watched as the countdown began. Sara was half standing the closer it got and Terra was right beside her. Hannah was more modest and smiled shyly up at her boyfriend.

“5...4...3...2...1...Happy New Year!”

Sara jumped on her boyfriend and kissed him roughly. I swear Terra is her twin. She tackled Cian like a pro football player. Hannah sweetly shared a kiss with Fox and they smiled dreamily at each other.

I looked up at Jordan to see him smiling down at me. “Happy New Year.”

I smiled. “Happy New Year.”

Our lips touched and his hand caressed my cheek lightly. My heart thrummed and my pulse strengthened. The slow build was seductive and amazing. The kindling of a dying fire that slowly came back to life.

Here’s to the start of a new year. I didn’t realize how much drama came along with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Note to you, the readers...I'm going to give you a hint for the coming updates ^^
Here it is....

Nothing is as it seems.

That is all I'm sharing ^^

lAuRa