Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

Rescue You

Waking up Valentine’s Day was like getting hit by a truck. I had cried myself to sleep, somehow knowing that Jordan wasn't going to show up, but I grasped that final straw of hope like a lifeline.

Grumbling to myself, I forced myself out of bed and straight into the shower. It was there I decided to host a little 'Valentine's Is For Losers' party. After I dressed I went and checked on Cian, telling him about my idea and pried a smile from him. He agreed and we began making plans for a comedy movie day with lots of junk food. He had made the suggestion of booze, but I declined. When he asked why, I sighed and told him the truth.

His eyes were wide, mouth open in horror before I could finish.

“Don’t look at me like that,” I snapped. “We didn’t have sex.”

“So he says.”

I thought about it and narrowed my eyes. I didn't think he would lie to me, but with all his recent excuses and avoiding me, I began to wonder. Without a word, I disappeared into the bathroom to check. When I returned with a relieved smile, his tense shoulders relaxed.

Sara came down the stairs, her hair sticking out all over the place from sleep. Her eyes were squinted against the brightness and she shuffled her way toward us. She plopped down beside me with a sigh and rested her head on my shoulder. I chuckled and she straightened, looking like hell.

“What the hell are you guys doing up so early?” she muttered, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

“Cian and I planned a special party for losers like us.”

She made a face. “Didn't you make plans with Jordan?”

I didn't look at Cian, but felt his eyes on me. "I have this feeling he won't show up. Anyway, we're just going to watch movies all day and eat junk."

“Oh, forget Jordan already. He's a douche," she snapped and I blinked. She usually never said things so vile.

“Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed,” I murmured, looking away.

She sighed, rolling her eyes. “I guess I did. I’m sorry.” She placed her head back on my shoulder.

“She does have a point though.” Cian looked at me carefully.

I shrugged. "He probably won't show up, but there is still hope. It feels wrong to just give up so readily."

“No one said your giving up,” he pointed out and I rolled my eyes.

“You might as well have,” I scoffed and disappeared into the kitchen for coffee. Thankfully Jack made some before he went to work. He had to be present for a few hours before he went out with Sara for their date.

“So what sort of party are you guys having?” Sara leaned in the doorway with her arms crossed.

I shrugged. “Going to watch a marathon of comedies and eat junk food. I was thinking of baking cookies.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Sounds...lonely.”

“We’ll have each other for company.” I slipped the filter inside and scooped out three heaping spoons of coffee grinds.

Her other eyebrow joined her raised one. “Very true. It sounds like you both will be having your own weird version of a date.”

I sighed with the shake of my head and she snickered. She disappeared to get dressed as Hannah appeared in a cute sky blue strapless dress. I looked at her and smiled.

“You realize it’s still winter, right?”

She giggled. “I know, but Fox told me to wear it today.”

“Do you know where you’re going?”

She shook her head, her eyes sparkling. “I have no idea, but he said somewhere fancy.”

I smiled weakly. “That’s great. I hope you guys have a great time.”

She smiled in understanding and wrapped her arms around my torso, resting her cheek on my arm. I was more thankful for the embrace than I first thought. I turned into her open arms and curled my arms around her neck. Most people would find it awkward that her face reached my boobs, but she didn’t mind. She smiled and pulled back to flash a smile.

“I hope and Cian have fun todaywith your little party. I also hope that Jordan shows up tonight.”

I chuckled and opened the fridge to look for breakfast as she left. I gathered a carton of eggs and some green onions and sliced ham. I dug for the block of cheese hiding way in the back and straightened with a sigh. I closed the door and turned to the items I had pulled out and began whipping up some Grilled Cheese sandwiches. Cian stepped into the kitchen beside me and peered over my shoulder.

“Smells good.”

I smiled. “Of course it does.”

“Confident, aren’t we?” he teased.

“And why not? You seem to love my cooking.”

“Touché.”

I laughed and accepted the plate he handed to me. I slid the finished grilled cheese onto the plate and turned to make the rest. Cian took the spatula away from me and I blinked. He pushed the plate at me and I stared down at it, confused.

He grinned, taking up my spot in the kitchen. “You go eat. I’ll make for the rest of us.”

I smiled in thanks because in all honesty, I didn’t really feel like cooking. Maybe I’d have better luck with baking. I slid into my chair at the dining table and bit off a mouthful. I sighed at the delicious taste and realized how hungry I actually was. I plowed through the rest of it and was finished by the time Cian joined me. He lifted his eyebrows and I blushed sheepishly.

“I was hungry,” I said defensively. He chuckled and dove straight into his own and finished in three bites. I lifted my eyebrows to mock him. He grinned.

“I was hungry,” he copied and I laughed.

Jack returned from work around mid afternoon and was gone just as quick with Sara. Fox and Hannah had left early in the morning after breakfast to spend the day together. Cian and I began preparing for our little party.

I sucked some cookie dough from my finger and melted. “I forgot how much I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.”

He chuckled as he slipped past me in the kitchen to the fridge. He removed the chip dip he had prepared and set it aside. He looked through the cupboards until he found a suitable bag of chips and placed them beside the dip. The scent of cookies was mouth watering. The timer went off and sliding on an oven mitt, I reached inside and withdrew the first pan. They looked perfect and I smiled in satisfaction.

“You should open your own bakery,” Cian said out of the blue.

I lifted my eyebrows thoughtfully. I did have the money put away that I had received after Derek’s death and the inheritance from my parents. It would be a lot of work, but after making cookies I realized how happy baking made me.

“Who would help me? I don’t know the first thing about running a business.”

“You can take a business course, and I’ll help you. I love to cook so it could be something like Chief’s, but without the maid costumes.”

I liked the idea, I liked it a lot. I smiled. “Maybe I can take the course now while I’m still in High School. I could buy a place right after I graduate,” I said dreamily.

Cian flashed me a smile as he began making some smoothies. “Yeah, and I have no plans for going to college so I’m free. Plus, I’m good with accounting and keeping books.”

My heart hummed to life. The idea was extremely appealing and I was seriously considering. Then I thought of Chief and frowned.

“I don’t want to take business away from Chief though...”

The phone rang. Cian turned off the blender and rushed to grab it. He returned to the kitchen with it pressed to his ear.

“Hello?” I tossed in the next sheet of cookies to bake. “Yeah, she’s right here.”

He held out the phone to me with a grin. “It’s Chief.”

I looked at the phone. She was known for perfect timing. I could get her thoughts about my opening a cafe. I accepted the phone and smiled.

“Hey, Chief.”

I listened to her talk, answering in all the right places. Then she told me her crazy idea about widening her business. She wanted to make another cafe.

"With all the business we have been bringing in lately, I think it would be a good idea. I love my cafe, don't get me wrong but if we can make it bigger and better, then I at least want to try!" she had said.

I lifted my brows. "That sounds like a great idea, Chief. Have you talked to anyone else about this yet?"

"Oh yes, dear, all the girls know! It's just an idea right at the moment, but I'm seriously considering it. When you come into work next, I'll talk more about it with everyone."

"Okay, thanks for letting me know, Chief. It really does sound like a great idea."

"Thanks, Misa! See you tomorrow afternoon!"

I hung up and turned to Cian, surprised. "Chief is thinking about adding another branch to the cafe."

He lifted his brows. "She wants to make another one? Here?"

I gave a shrug. "All she said was that she was seriously thinking about. She never said where, but she sounds excited."

"Well, we have been busier these days. We've gotten a lot more customers coming in than before."

I nodded and braced myself against the counter. "That's true. I hope everything works out for her. She deserves this."

"Yeah, she's a good woman. She works really hard to keep her business going." He dipped his finger into his masterpiece and nodded, satisfied with the result.

The timer went off and I turned, opening the oven door. The cookies were a perfect golden brown and looked delicious. The aroma wafted under my nose and I inhaled, a smile spreading across my lips.

"Those smell amazing." Cian bent down to his head was right beside mine, cheek to cheek. We stared at the cookies and I snorted with laughter.

"Well instead of staring at them, how about we dig in?" I slipped on the oven mitts and reached inside. The pan was hot and the steaming cookies looked absolutely mouthwatering.

I set the tray down to cool and slipped off the gloves, setting them aside. Reaching for the plate of cooling cookies, I chose one from the first batch that would be cool already. I bit into it, relishing the chewiness and melted chocolate. Perfection at its finest. Gathering our goodies and drinks, we stepped into the living room and flopped cozily onto the couch.

"How are we going to start this party?" Cian lounged back, scarfing down cookie after cookie. I made a face.

"Well, we could always start watching movies I suppose."

He looked out the window, shoving an entire cookie into his mouth. He chewed thoughtfully before swallowing. Turning his head, he looked at me.

"Or we could have sex." He looked so innocent and serious. I started laughing.

I laughed until I had tears in my eyes and fell back onto my side on my couch. I giggled to myself into the couch cushion. I lifted myself when I calmed down somewhat and wiped my eyes, chuckling. I noted the silence and turned to see Cian staring at me seriously. There was no hint of joking or laughter in his expression. I blinked.

My brows pulled together. "Are you serious?"

He gave a shrug and looked away. "Why not? We've been beating around the bush for a while now and it is Valentine's Day."

My jaw dropped in horror. "What? No!"

He looked at me through narrowed eyes. "Not good enough for you, am I?"

My face went up in flames and I sputtered, unable to say a single word. What in god's name was he thinking making a statement like that?

Suddenly his laughter rang out, loud and hearty. He slapped a hand on my knee. I stared at him, wondering if he had finally gone insane. If it was because of Terra, I was going to kill her.

He laughed. Hard. "You should see your face!" He doubled over, slapping his knee.

I glared furiously. "Cian Michael Winters, that is NOT funny!"

He just continued to laugh while I folded my arms across my chest, pouting. What a jerk! As if he would suddenly come out and say something like that. Not only that, but he had the gall to laugh at me afterwards because it was all some big joke.

His laughter died to a chuckle and he looked at me, eyes dancing. "Ah, I'm sorry. I should have known you wouldn't have found that funny."

I shot him a murderous glare. "You think?" My words dripped with sarcasm and he chuckled.

"Okay, I'm really sorry." I looked at him and saw that he was serious, though his eyes continued to dance.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh and grabbed another cookie. Nibbling on it, I glared at him through narrowed eyes. He grinned and sat back, folding his arms,

"So what's a good idea? Go for a walk, go for lunch..." He listed off.

I frowned, thinking about something to do. "I don't know really. What do you want to do? This is supposed to be a pity party after all."

He rubbed his jaw thoughtfully sighed. "We could listen to sappy music and cry?"

I laughed and reached over to slap him playfully. "I'm serious!"

He chuckled and rubbed his hands together. "Movies it is then. We're supposed to be moping."

I smiled and reached for the first in the stacked pile we had chosen the night before. I popped it into the DVD player and curled up beside Cian. It was easy being with him like this, easy being in his arms or leaning against him. Somehow, he was and had always been my safety net. As we watched the screen, he toyed with strands of my hair.

We watched movie after movie, laughing and having a great time together. So much for a pity party. I was actually having fun.

And not once did I think of the fact Jordan hadn't even showed up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I edited this chapter because after reading and having been sent a comment, it seemed too coincidental with Chief suddenly calling when they were talking about opening a bakery, and I had to agree. So, I tweaked it a little ^^

Comment and tell me what you think!

lAuRa