Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

Desperate Measures

“Would you like to come with us tonight, Misa?” Tori asked with a smile and I turned to look at them in surprise. Caroline was going out to celebrate the end of her exams and she had invited the girls from work to go with her. It was too bad, but I had my own studies to worry about.

I smiled in thanks, but shook my head. “Sorry guys, I have a pile of homework to do. Have fun though.”

Caroline looked disappointed, but smiled nonetheless and waved as they disappeared out the door, leaving me and the Chief. She turned to me with a smile.

“Good work tonight, Misa! Have a safe trip home!” she said cheerfully as she walked me to the door and I waved in return and stepped out into the warm night.

I heaved in a breath and blew out a sigh. Every day this week, Jordan and Cian had both been present at the cafe and on the odd occasion, so were the others. They thought it was the greatest that I dressed as a maid and thought the food was amazing. It was easier, I’ll admit, that they knew know and I wasn’t the least bit embarrassed anymore about it.

I paused and gazed down the dark alley way I usually took on the home and narrowed my eyes. There was something off about the dark area tonight, but I couldn’t place what it was. Deciding I needed all the time I could muster to finish my school work, I headed down into the shadows tense and alert. Despite that fact, I was totally unprepared when a hand snaked out and covered my mouth.

I cried out in protest and surprise as my body was jerked to the side and slammed against the building wall painfully and winced at the impact. The hand over my mouth was hard and crushing against my flesh and I opened my eyes to try and see the assailant clearly. Peering through the darkness, all I could see were four black masses. They must be wearing black clothing and masks.

“We’ve been waiting for you, you bitch,” a harsh male voice spat and I almost vomited from the strong scent of alcohol on his breath. I growled behind his hand and the others chuckled evilly, sending chills down my spine.

“You deserve what’s coming to you, little lady,” another voice spoke from beside me and I instantly realised what was going on. They were the same guys that were beating on Cyrus, Jordan’s so called friends.

I stood still and assessed the situation, my muscles bunched and ready as I waited for the opportune moment to strike back. They cackled to each other, planning out what they wanted to do with me and I was disgusted. Every feminine part of me was insulted by their words and nature and reminded why men disgusted me.

“Too bad you’re still not in that cute uniform. It would have made this more exciting, but this will do. You won’t be wearing it anyways...not for long,” my captor laughed.

These bastards were going to rape me. No. Absolutely not. Not a chance, buddy!

Moving swiftly, I lifted my leg to rest my foot on the wall and pushed off into my captor and managed to get him off of me. Though I knew I could handle this myself, I wanted to give them a little scare and started to scream bloody murder. They flinched and covered their ears before a different hand was slammed over my mouth and I elbowed him in the stomach. He grunted and loosened his hold in which I opened my mouth wide and bit right into his hand, ignoring the copper taste of blood filling my mouth. He howled in pain and jerked away, freeing me and cradling his injured hand. I spat the blood from my mouth, ignoring the trickle down my chin and glared at the rest of them in pure rage.

“You think you’re going to rape me, you sick bastards? Just try it!” I shouted, balling my hands into fists and struck out at the nearest person, slamming my fist into his nose and heard the sickening crunch. Two down, two more to go; that’s all I could think about.

Curses were strewn about freely and hands grabbed at my body. I knocked them away and took a step back when I felt my lungs begin to burn and my strength seeping away. I had overworked myself at the cafe and with late nights of studying. I grit my teeth in annoyance and stood my ground, knowing this was my only way out. I wouldn’t give in to them, wouldn’t let them violate me. I’d kill them first and without hesitation. They weren’t laying their disgusting hands on my body.

“Bitch!” my captor cried and I gasped in surprise when his hand wrapped around my throat and squeezed, crushing my wind pipe. My anxiety sky rocketed and my heart began to race as I was tossed into a panic. I tried to keep a clear head, but black spots began popping up in my vision.

I lashed out, kicking and struggling in order to get him to loosen his grip, but he was taking it all in stride and before I knew it, I was gripped from behind, my arms pinned behind my back. Then I really started to panic. I had never been in a situation like this before and I was frightened of what would happen.

I gasped, struggling for breath until the black spots took over my vision. Before I fell unconscious, I heard a thump and a grunt before everything disappeared.

It seemed only like minutes had passed after I opened my eyes again and found myself in a hospital room. In shock, I observed the white room carefully to assess my surroundings while my heart raced in a panic. How did I get here? What happened after I passed out?

Instantly I felt sick to my stomach. Looking down, my eyes wide, I stared down at my body shielded by a plain white blanket. Oh god, did they rape me? I stared, trying to remember but only freaked myself out more when I couldn’t recall what had happened afterwards. Instantly it clicked and I remembered hearing the sound of one of the guys being taken out. Who had come?

I took one more glance around the room and settled on Cian’s sleeping figure in the chair in front of the window. His hair fell in his face as his head rested on the palm of his hand, his mouth open as he slept fitfully. I blinked in surprise. Cian saved me?

As if sensing I was awake, his eyes slowly opened and he let out a yawn. Lifting his arms, he stretched them out with a groan and let out a sigh, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. I stared at him in horror, my face heating unexpectedly. His eyes and expression serious and clearly awake, he peered through his fingers, his eyes shooting straight through me like a bullet and my breath caught in my throat.

“Idiot.”

After all of that...and he calls me an idiot. I glared at him in return, feeling my temper spark but kept my mouth shut when he gave me the nastiest look I had ever seen from him. I stared back at him in surprise.

“Idiot,” he repeated, his voice filled with emotion as his glare deepened and shaped into a different expression; it was one of anguish, frustration and worry.

Narrowing my eyes, I looked at him carefully. “Is that all you have to say to me?”

His eyes flashed to mine and struck me breathless with the intensity. He said nothing and just stared me down while I tried to remember how to breathe. I had never seen him look like this, like an avenging God who was about to strike me down with a bolt of lightning for my stupidity. Though, in that moment I hadn’t realised what I had done was stupid. Careless, but not stupid. I could have handled it.

A gasp escaped my lips when he moved so quickly, I barely even saw it happen. He was like a shadow, moving in the blink of an eye and I felt the pressure of his fingers digging into my chin, holding my gaze fiercely.

“Idiot,” he breathed, his voice low, his breath hot against my cold skin with the scent of cinnamon.

I was beginning to grow tired of being called an idiot. I managed a glare, my anger pulling me from my trance and I tried to jerk my chin away, but he held firm.

“There is no need for name calling,” I snapped and his eyes flashed, clouding over and instantly I closed my mouth. He was angry...really angry.

“The truth hurts, doesn’t it, Princess?” he said in the same low tone, glaring deep into my eyes. “Do you realise what would have happened if I hadn’t shown up?”

I tried another futile attempt to rid of his grip on my bruising flesh, but he tightened his hold and I winced as his fingers dug to the bone. He exhaled and lowered his head, breaking the uncomfortable contact of our eyes and I was able to inhale, filling my lungs with much needed oxygen. I stared down at the top of his head, his black hair shiny in the light coming through the window.

“Don’t ever go down that back alley again,” he said quietly, his voice full of authority and I bristled angrily.

“I don’t appreciate people telling me what to do, especially you,” I answered seriously and jerked my head, finally breaking his iron hold on me.

His hand fell to the bed limply and he remained where he was, his head bowed before me and I wondered just what was going on. He was acting so strange, I wondered what he was thinking.

“Idiot, you were almost raped by those guys!” he said fiercely, his voice strong and loud and it hit me like a punch to the gut. My eyes widened in surprise and I was filled of visions of what happened in that alley. Fear prickled over my skin and sent an icy chill down my spine.

I swallowed the rising lump in my throat and licked my lips. “I’m well aware of that.”

“Are you? Do you know how close it came to happening? If I hadn’t been walking by, you would be in far worse condition, perhaps even dead,” he murmured, his voice filled with anguish and frustration.

He lifted his head and looked at me through his bangs, his eyes glittering like shards of diamond and reminded me of a predator, wolf’s eyes. I was struck by both the beauty and the strength of his stare, wondering how he contained so much power just with those eyes.

“Do you care so little for your life?” he asked seriously and I blinked. Of course I cared for my life, why was he asking me this.

“Of course I do!” I whispered fiercely, hearing the nurses and patients moving about just beyond the door. I didn’t know how sound proof these rooms were and decided this was a private conversation. Nobody else needed to hear what was being said.

Those diamonds narrowed, his brows drawn together and he straightened, pulling away from the bedside as he folded his arms. He cocked his head and looked at me carefully, assessing. Probing.

“You need to realise that you can’t handle everything on your own. Last night should prove that.”

I clenched my jaw. “I never said I could!”

He raised an eyebrow. “Then just what were you doing, going down the same alley way where those guys were beating on Cyrus?”

I blinked in surprise. “How do you know about this and about him?”

He waved his hand dismissively and glared. “Answer the question.”

I glared. “It’s the quickest way home.”

“Stupid.”

I made a noise of protest and sat up, clenching my fists on my lap. “Enough already, I get the point!”

“I don’t think you do,” he spat, his eyes glimmering angrily and I looked away to glare at the wall. If I continued to look at him, I was going to punch him in the face or tear out his eyes with my bare fingers.

“Whatever already, Cian. I get it and I’m smart enough not to take the alley anymore. I’ll find another shortcut home from work.”

He was silent, just staring at me suspiciously until he nodded his head, satisfied with my answer. He kicked back in the chair easily, resting his hands behind his head in a relaxed pose, all the tension gone and his eyes softened slightly.

“Good, because from now on, I’ll be walking you from work,” he said with ease and I turned to glare at him.

“I’m not a child and I certainly don’t need you of all people for a body guard!” I shouted, not caring about who heard at this point. I was growing annoyed with his arrogance and overflowing ego.

His face remained passive as he just looked at me, his eyes and face unreadable. “Is it such a bad thing, having me around?”

His voice was so soft and serious, I was speechless. Was it really a bad thing? I hated him with a passion—well intensely disliked him—but was it really such a bad thing to have company to have someone waiting for me after work?

He watched me carefully, watching my expression as I frowned and looked down at my hands.

“I’m not a child,” I said quietly.

“I never said you were.”

“You don’t have to.”

He was silent for a moment before letting out a sigh and rising to his feet. He towered over me on the hospital bed and looked down at me.

“No matter what you think, or what you say, I’ll be waiting for you from now on.”

I said nothing more, tired of arguing with him because I knew that once he made up his mind, there was no changing it. He moved to the door and opened it to pause and glance over his shoulder.

“I’m hungry, so I’m going to the cafeteria. Do you want something?” he asked, his face still unreadable and I sighed, resting back feeling suddenly exhausted.

“Chicken Salad Wrap.”

His lips twitched and he turned and disappeared, closing the door quietly behind him, leaving me flustered.

What the hell is going on with that guy?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title adapted by Desperate Measures by Marianas Trench

Hope you enjoyed!

Thanks go to:

Haley'sfreakingout for being the first and so far only person to comment! Greatly appreciated indeed ^^

lAuRa