Sequel: Shut Up & Kiss Me
Status: DONE!

Summer of Love

There's No Place Like Home

It was an awesome day for shopping. The sun was bright and warm, the air was cool and crisp and the city was bustling with people. Being outside of school, I was dressed in my usual consisting of a long sleeved black and red striped sweater with a black vest overtop and regular faded blue jeans, tears in the knees from being worn out. I smiled around at the shop windows, enjoying this time outside without having to worry about school. I wasn’t too into shopping, but I did enjoy it once in a while.

“I was thinking of going as Tinker Bell,” Sara said behind me and I paused, turning to look at her with a raised eyebrow of disbelief.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t imagine you as a sweet, innocent fairy,” I said honestly and she growled, whacking me over the head, rearing the angry side of her.

“I can totally play it off!” she cried, pretty much baring her fangs and I laughed nervously, rubbing my head.

I caught a glimpse of Cian taking up the rear of the group walking with his hands in his pockets, dressed in a simple black button up shirt and jeans. I narrowed my eyes, though the butterflies had awakened when he saw me staring and smirked.

“What are you doing here anyway? There’s no way you’d be interested in Halloween,” I said with annoyance, placing my hands on my hips and he grinned.

Leaning forward, he flicked the tip of my nose causing me to flinch and blush furiously, our faces only inches apart.

“Maybe I want to give it a try this year,” he said smoothly and straightened, shoving his hand back into his pocket as he strode by after the others and I glared at his back suspiciously.

We stepped into a store and us girls stared in awe, our eyes wide at all the new inventory they had specifically for Halloween.

“It’s amazing!” Sara breathed and Hannah nodded in agreement while I just stared. There was so much potential.

I broke from the group to see everything they had, ideas rolling around in my head. Sara had long since settled on Tinker Bell and Jack was told he had to be Peter Pan to keep the fairytale theme. Hannah was so innocent that I suggested Little Bo Peep or Little Red Riding Hood. She chose the second option and Fox ended up being the big bad wolf. It suits him.

I frowned, letting out a sigh as I wandered through the store. I had so many ideas, but now I just couldn’t settle on one. So far, the ones I liked the best was a black cat costume, dressing up as a Geisha, or being a Pirate. I really liked the Pirate one, but I was already thought of as a guy so I wanted something sexier, more girlish.

“Are you almost done, Misa?” I heard Sara call from the front counter and I dipped my head with a sigh.

I lifted my head in surprise when something was thrust into my hands and saw it was the black cat costume with matching ears. Looking up, I met Cian’s unique silver eyes and he raised an eyebrow.

“It matches those strange eyes of yours,” he said simply and walked away to join the others at the front of the store.

I stared after him, my face hot and I gazed down at the package in my hands. Match my eyes, eh? Thinking about it, I’d never seen anyone else with eyes like mine. Smiling, I took my item to the front where the others waited and smiled at the clerk as she rang it up.

“The black cat, huh?” she said cheerfully, her blue eyes sparkling as she looked into my own. “It’ll go with your eyes.”

I felt the blush creeping again so I smiled in thanks and grabbed my bag. I darted out the door after the others and heaved in a breath, feeling oddly pretty today from all the strange compliments. Sara chuckled and nudged me with her elbow, having heard and I returned the smile. Today was a good day so far!

Sara was never one to go stingy, so we ended up in the local mall to find accessories. By this point I was already tired of shopping and wanted to go home.

“I don’t need accessories, Sara,” I groaned in exasperation and she turned with that frightening glare of hers.

“Oh, you’re getting them whether you want them or not!” she growled and snatched my hand, dragging me after leaving the guys to grin.

She showed me bracelets, necklaces, rings, makeup, nail polish...my head was spinning but she just kept going on. I was so brain fried that she ended up choosing for me, being a good judge of character with a good sense of fashion and yanked me from my rooted spot.

“We’re done, my darling!” she sang with the wave of her hand to Jack and the others who had waited outside the store.

Cian pointed to me, catching the attention of the others and lifted his brows. “What’s wrong with her?”

Sara rolled her eyes. “She’s never been one to shop for a long period of time. Her mind goes into power overload after ten minutes.”

I opened my eyes and glared at her quietly causing her to laugh. She patted my hand and released it to latch onto Jack with a lovey-dovey smile and walked ahead with Hannah and Fox. I sighed heavily, my feet beginning to ache from walking around all day and trailed behind lazily.

“You are definitely not a girl.”

I stiffened and turned to glare at Cian who walked alongside me, staring ahead with a boring face, ignoring the whispers and stares of the girls around us.

“Thank you very much,” I said sarcastically and dipped my head, feeling like a giant beanpole without a gender. “You’re so mean.”

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye and said nothing as we followed the others out into the setting sun and Sara turned to us with a smile.

“What do you guys think of dinner? There’s a great place I know of,” she said, obviously not wanting the night to end and I tapped my chin thoughtfully when my phone began to ring. Surprised, I reached into my bag and pulled it out. I didn’t recognize the number and frowned, flipping it open.

“Hello?”

I listened to the voice on the other end and my heart sunk when I realised it was the hospital. I listened to the nurse carefully as my heart began to race and the blood drained from my face.

Misa, you’re parents are in the hospital. There was an accident...

My breath quickened and the others gathered around, but I couldn’t hear them anymore.

I’m so sorry, Misa. Mom and Dad are gone...

Derek. Derek was in the hospital.

No...no! Mommy and Daddy are fine!

Derek. Derek. Derek.

Misa...they’re not coming back. I’m so sorry...I promise I’ll take care of you. I promise.

Derek. Derek. Derek. Not Derek.

The phone slid from my hand. Every part of my body had gone numb and black spots were filling my vision.

I’ll never leave you, Misa. I promise.

Derek was in the hospital.

He didn’t keep his promise.

The black spots took over and the last thing I recollected was the sensation of falling and the cries of my friends.

Derek was dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title adapted by There's No Place Like Home by Marianas Trench

Aww.... =( I had a tear in my eye as I wrote this!
Poor Misa =(

The next chapter will be of memories with Derek to get a better apsect of his character since he didn't stay around very long.

lAuRa