Cold as Ice

Four

“How was school?” Crosby called out to me as I walked into the apartment after getting a ride home from Owen. Either I had grown on him during the day or he had just accepted that he was stuck with me. Even after the morning he seemed to think I was just being weird, because he seemed surprised when I sat down with him at lunch.

“Hey friend,” I said sitting down next to Owen while setting down my stuff.

“Uh hey.” His greeting sounded more like a question, but I just ignored that, taking this time to introduce myself to the people he was sitting with. It was a small table so the only other people were a guy and a girl sitting across from Owen and me.

“Hi I’m Tara,” I said giving them a slight wave.

“Crosby,” he added telling his friends what he thought my last name was. I quickly elbowed him in the side. “Hey what was that for?”

“You’re not supposed to tell people that.” The words came out quieter than I had planned but they were still sharp.

“Why he’s your father isn’t he? Besides Alexa and Cam don’t care,” he defended.

“Yes he is, but I have my mothers last name, Murphey,” I informed him. Then I turned my attention back to the other side of the table. “Nice to meet you two,” I said to Alexa and Cam. They nodded their heads in acknowledgement.

“If you have your moms last name why aren’t you living with her?” Owen questioned and in those seconds my mood took a major drop along with my jaw. Of all the questions he could have asked wasn’t prepared for that one.

“Well, um, you see… actually can we just not talk about my mom?” I asked trying my best to avoid the topic. Owen must have sensed my unease somehow even though we had only met today.

“Ok. So Alexa don’t you have Art next?” he questioned the girl across from us.

“Yeah, why?” she asked back unsurely.

“Tara does also. Do you think you can show her where it is?”

“Memorizing my schedule already, Owen?” I teased forgetting my unease by trying to make a joke.

“This friendship started at unusual rates to start with and I just have a good memory,” he said with a sheepish smile. After our joking the attention turned back to Alexa who was smiling.

“Of course I’ll show her where the art room is. It would be my pleasure.” She answered the question directed at her with a smile on her face.

The rest of lunch was relatively uneventfull. There was just joking a laughing and I was relieved that I’d found this group of people. Sonn the bell rang to signal that lunch was over and Alexa got up and waited for me to walk to the art room.

Once we had left the cafeteria she spoke up. “Thank god you moved here, Tara. It sucked being the only girl in the group.”

“Glad I could be off service,” I responded. “It couldn’t have been that bad though.”

“It wasn’t but things had been kind of weird when me and Cam started dating. Owen didn’t really like it and things got kind of awkward for awhile,” she explained and I nodded my head in understanding. “But now you’re here. So what do you think of Owen?” It sounded like a loaded question and I was pretty sure I knew what she was getting out.

“He seems cool,” I said hesitantly as I followed Alexa into the Art room.

“Do you think you might be interested in him?” she asked.

“Like romantically?” I clearified and she nodded her head to tell me my suspisions where right. “I just met him he seems cool and all but these things take time. I can’t just meet someone and instantly fall in love with them that not how it works. I’m also not looking for a relationship. I going for a get in and get out as quickly as possible with no emotional attachment to anyone in Pittsburgh.” I was prepared to rant but I thought it probably wouldn’t be the best thing to do.

“Ok, ok I get it. I just thought it would be cute that’s all,” she said.

“No you don’t,” I told her just before the bell rang then paused briefly while it did ring. “You just want you group to seem less awkward since you are dating Cam.”

“Ok you got me, I’m selfish.” She held her hands up in mock surrender and we both shared a laugh before. The teacher attempted to start class.


“How do you think school was, Crosby?” I asked him. Walking into the room he was in and seeing Jordan.

“Good point, but did you at least make any friends?” he asked with concern.

“Yeah and initiation was a little rough but they finally let me into their biker gang,” I joked.

“You know I’ve always said you meet the best people in gangs,” Jordan added to my joke. Crosby however looked like he was having a panic attack. After a brief exchange of looks Jordan and me burst out laughing. Sidney’s expression changed from relief to announce when he saw our reaction.

“Not funny either of you,” he scolded only adding more humor to the situation.

“Relax Crosby I made some normal friends, well atleast I think they are normal. I mean all I really know about the guy is that his name is Owen and he is a Flyers fan and that the other too are dating,” I explained.

“Ugh a Flyers fan?” Jordan asked with disgust. “Tara, that is worse than a gang.”

“Beggers can’t be choosers. Besides it’s better than being friends with the girl who was obviously was only talking to me because my dad is Sidney Crosby,” I stated.

“Well I for one am happy you made friends and that you’re not in a gang,” Sidney responded.

“Look at this you’ve gotten soft in your old age. What happen to all that flyers hate?” Jordan teased.

“Things change,” Sidney said with a shrug.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short but I was in a SUPER good mood. Because I went to game five yesterday and it made my entire life. So YAY! Thank you to hockeygrl2566, hockeychick37 and megseypoo4 for being awesome and commenting. Also to all my other readers and subscribers you all rock. Until next time comment, rate and subscribe. Also I started a Toews and Kane story so if people are interested and bug me about it I will post the first chapter tomorrow. If not that's cool too, it's up to you I'm just excited about it and want a reason to post it.