The Rising

Colette

I had the paper written with blood in my bag which felt weird keeping a secret from Alfreda and Justin but I guess it’s sort of good. The laughter from Gustav’s joke quickly died out as we finally got out of the backyard. It was like we were afraid of talking just in case they could hear us, which was slightly true about me.
That is when I saw it. A zombie was hanging from a rope which was tied around his neck. It tried to get us but when he moved he would only swing.
Alfreda appeared beside me as I readjusted my backpack and asked, “should we… kill it?” Before anyone could answer Justin walk up to it and hit its head like it was a baseball. The sound of the baseball bat hitting the zombie’s skull made me jump a little and the sight made me feel like I am going to puke.
“We should hurry” Justin said and everyone murmured their agreements. It seemed like we were going through a labyrinth as we walked to the hills. We would occasionally hit a dead end street or a group of zombies wandering around. Luckily we never hit a huge pack of them because if we did I doubt we would’ve survived. I spent most of the time walking watching the others when I was actually suppose to be on the look out for the monsters. I couldn’t help but notice we were walking in a diamond shape after a while. In the front was Justine, then behind him were Alfreda on the left and Gustav on the right. I was stuck in the rear. I nearly walked into Gustav as he randomly stopped.
“Did you hear zat?” he asked and I looked around. I realized it’s been a while since we seen any of the zombies, and the fact we were also now in the woods. I should be concentrating more…
“What are you talking about?” Alfreda asked. Everything went quiet for a minute and then it happened. Somehow we were surrounded by them. Everyone raised their weapons as the circle grew smaller around us.
“Good luck” Justin muttered and we went into action. I did not concentrate much on the others. All I could hear was moans, screams, and growls. I truthfully did not know of they were from the zombies or us. I swung at the last zombie in front of me and it went down to the ground, but it was not done yet. I swung downward quickly and his head broke as easy as an egg. I turned back to the others to see they were done. I fell to the floor physically and mentally exhausted. This was only the beginning of hell.
“Should ve continue” Gustav asked the others as Alfreda and him both joined me on the dirt ground. Justin just paced a little.
After a few minutes of silence Justin finally answered, “I guess so; a little rest will be good for us especially after what just happened.” Gustav immediately went back to reading the same book as before, and then Alfreda joined him by taking out a book. I just stared at the ground as I turned one of the hearts on my necklace in my hand. My mind just kept flashing images of an old life.

***


I was sitting in my living room with my laptop on my lap and TV on. Alois, 14, and Malo, 12, where sitting beside me watching some show called ‘Doctor Who’. I refreshed my Facebook page waiting for my crush, Jason, to sign on. He was probably out… having an actual life. With a small sigh I closed the laptop and looked at the TV to see some robot thing. I looked like an upside down garbage can with a plunger on its face.
My parents walked into the room and my mom stood behind the couch and looked down at me “so, you have all of your stuff packed?”
“Yes” I replied and so did my two brothers.
“Are you sure you still don’t wanna go?” my father asked me and I shook my head no. They were going down to Texas to some military camp, the last place I want to go. Both of my brothers were excited about it, I guess that was only because they were boys and big weapons usually excite them.
“I would rather sit through Geometry again” I said turning back to the TV. I could not help but to notice that David Tennant (The Doctor) was hot.
Alois laughed, “you probably will.” I glared daggers at him.
“Shut up geek” I shot back at him and he just rolled his eyes.
The TV was then shut off and my mother began to talk, “we are going now. Everyone get their stuff, first stop is you’re Aunt’s house.” My brothers groaned as we stood up and went to get our stuff. I put my stuff in the car and sat down behind the driver’s seat as Malo sat beside me and Alois on the other side. We left the house a few minutes later in silence. The only noises were the wind rushing into the car through the wide open window. It did not take that long till we arrived. My Aunt was waiting outside with Justin who helped bring my bags inside.
My mother hugged me, “bye, see you when we get back.” I did not know at the time that was a lie, they were probably never coming back. This was the last time I will ever even see them.

***


“Are you okay?” Justin asked pulling me out of my memory and all I could do was nod my head.
Alfreda stood up and said, “we should get going again.” Gustav closed his book and put it away as I stood up and then so did he. We began to walk away as the memory played through my mind again. I will miss them.