The Rising

Justin

“What state should we try first?” was the first thought that came into my mind.
After a pause Alfreda suggested, “South Dakota.” No one objected.
“How are we going to get there, it’s too dangerous to drive all the way there” Colette said thinking about the distance.
“There is an air base close to here, I sort of know how to fly a plane” Alfreda said and I stared at her in amaze. At her age I could barely drive a car, and I am still horrible at it. A plane is like… wow.
“I know where that is, I can drive us there” Colette said; her father probably brought her there before.
“One question, vere are ve going to get a car?” Gustav asked and I looked back the way we came.
“Back tracking” I said and we did so.
Colette stopped in her steps, “maybe we can get your mom’s car?”
“That is a good idea since she always has a full tank” I whispered in response. We walked the rest of the way in silence until we got back to the town. I led the others toward my house, well my old house. I looked around the street; luckily we encountered no zombies yet. I opened the door and walked in and felt my heart break in my chest. Lying on my floor was one of my biggest regrets.
The other three walked into the house and Gustav appeared beside me, “vo is zat?”
“My mother” I said stepping over her and walking to where she normally kept the car keys. I saw Colette walk over toward the house phone and pick it up. She dialed something and everyone looked at her like she was crazy. She smiled, but then it quickly changed. Colette hung up the phone with tears in her eyes and I looked at her confused.
“They were being attacked and the phone went dead” she said and the other two looked at her confused but I instantly knew what she meant. Either her mother or father called the house looking to see if we were okay.
I saw Alfreda walking back toward the door and turning around to us, “we should go now.” Colette nodded her head as she picked something else from the table and followed Gustav and I out of the house toward the car. Colette got into the front seat, and the other two got into the back. She put the keys into the ignition and turned the car on and before I knew it we began driving down the street. I knew sooner or later we were going to notice zombies following us but for now we were all in the clear. It took about an hour to get to the air base, we saw a few zombies on the way but we are not worried about them. They are currently road kill. We rushed plane to plane looking for one with the most gas. Weirdly all of the planes had the keys in them. We finally found a good one but it looked really old. We could not be choosy though. We began to climb in but that’s when we saw it. A whole hoard of zombies coming our way. There were over one hundred of them coming for us.
“Hurry up!” Alfreda screamed, I did not need to hear that twice. I threw the bags into plane as Alfreda rushed to the front and looked back quickly to see if we were all here. She began to make the plane go forward right into the group.
Random Fact: Zombies can easily be beheaded by a plane’s wing.
We crashed through most of the crowd and quickly gained air. I looked down to see the zombies who were trying to hold onto the plane fall off. It looked like a bloody mess down there.
“Thank god you know how to fly this thing” I said looking away from the hoard.
“Yeah” Alfreda said nervously as I saw Gustav going through some of the stuff.
“Do you know which way to go?” Colette asked.
“Yeah, but I don’t really want to talk right now. I am not good at talking and flying” Alfreda replied nervously and we all fell silent. This is probably going to be the scariest plane ride of my life.
Is it weird if I prefer this plane to crash and we die then it land? At least we don’t have to worry about becoming a zombie.
♠ ♠ ♠
My chapters barely get any views (I am so unloved <3).