The Rising

Gustav

I sat back, sorting through the things we had. It wasn’t much to tell the truth. I moved to my clothes I’d worn the day before, and dug around in the pockets of my pants. I needed to see if there was anything there. My fingers wrapped around something and I pulled it out, stuffing my clothes back where they’d been before.

I opened my hand to see what I’d grabbed. In my hand was the army knife I’d gotten from my father who’d got it from my grandfather. “Vould you look at zat? Ze only sink I hafe left of my family.” I looked at it, shaking my head. I sat back to study it, though it was nothing really interesting.

“Where are we going when we get to South Dakota?” Colette asked. I had to wonder that myself. Was there any place that would be safe there? Honestly, I knew nothing about the state. I’d be no help there at all, since I had no idea where anything was.

“Mount Rushmore, of course.” I heard Alfreda call from the front of the plane. The plane jerked downwards, sending me tumbling across the floor of the plane, into Justin. “Sorry!” Alfreda yelled back to us. The plane jerked upwards, and went steady.

I shook my head. “Sorry Justin.” I apologized, moving away from him and back to my original place.

“What are we going to do when we get to South Dakota?” Colette asked, looking over at Justin. “We can’t just go there without knowing what to do beforehand.”

Justin looked thoughtful. “We should set up a camp, first of all. And stay stationary as long as we can. Or at least only leave our camp when we need to.” Colette nodded her head, agreeing that sounded like a good plan.

I yawned, my eyelids drooping. I struggled to keep awake, but soon enough I was falling through darkness. When I awoke from my slumber, I was no longer on the plane. I was lying on the ground. My entire body ached.

“Hey! Where am I!?” I called, sitting up. As soon as I did, a wave of nausea swept over me. I swallowed back my dinner from the previous night. Nothing was familiar whatsoever. I was confused.

“God, are you all right?” Above me stood a young man dressed in a muddy uniform. In one hand he clutched a gun. I couldn’t exactly tell what type it was. The man standing above me pulled me to my feet.

I stared straight at the man for a moment, I didn’t know who he was, but a name popped into my head. “Reinhardt?” I mumbled, narrowing my eyes at the man before me. The man sighed in relief, and nodded his head.

“What happened? How long was I unconscious?” I demanded. Reinhardt laughed bitterly.

“The enemy happened, kid. We got lost from the others when you fainted. I was worried.”

I opened my mouth to reply when a sharp scream cut me off.

“Vat ze-!?” I sat up. It was a dream? Ugh… I really should have gotten more sleep last night. The scream came again, and I covered my ears. The plane jerked violently, sending me crashing into Justin once more.

“The plane…” Alfreda’s voice called back to us, her voice shaking. “W-We’re going down!” She yelled. The plan jerked downwards violently. A knot tightened in my stomach, and I had to swallow back my last meal. This was it. We were going to die.

Gott helfe uns allen.