The Rising

Alfreda

How could I have been so stupid? I could have gotten us all killed! I was angry with myself for letting myself get distracted. This plane might have been old, but it was a lot more complicated to control than the little two person plane my father had taught me to fly. He wouldn’t let me try the other planes at the airfield; he had said they’d be too dangerous. He was right.

I dropped my head into my hands and heaved a sigh. At least we were all okay. Gustav said Colette might have a small concussion. That fact made me feel even worse than I had already. If she did, it would be my fault. Justin and I had escaped with little more than a few cuts and scrapes that really only had needed normal band-aids and some disinfectant. Gustav himself had gotten injured, and now sat on the floor of the plane, using his teeth to bandage the large cut on his arm.

“I feel terrible.” I muttered and shook my head, ducking out of the plane and stepping outside. I had no idea where the hell we were. “This is fucking wonderful.” I ran my fingers back through my hair which was damp with sweat.

“Don’t blame yourself, Alfreda.” I heard a voice chide. I looked back at the plane to see Justin ducking out of what used to be the plane’s door. “It isn’t your fault.”

“It is.” I sighed. “And now Colette is hurt! I could have killed your cousin. I could have killed all of us.” I waved my hand in dismissal of his words. “Not to mention, we have no earthly idea where we are. We’re in the middle of nowhere.” I kicked at a rock at my feet, sending it flying into the bushes. “It’s my fault. It will always be my fault. I should have listened to my father.”

Justin listened until I stopped to take a breath. “We’re all okay. There’s nothing we can do about it now.” Justin shook his head. “We need to figure out what to do.”

“There’s only one thing to do, Justin; salvage our stuff and get away from here as fast as possible.”

“Right and I think we should start to do that. It’s getting dark.” For once I took notice of the sky. It was turning pretty orange and pink colors. Right now though, the sunset was the last thing on my mind.

I ducked back into the plane to find Colette and Gustav sorting through the packs, looking for anything that was broken beyond use. I stepped aside as Justin ducked in behind me. These people were all I had left now. I was still angry at myself for almost killing us all. These people weren’t just my friends. They were my family now as well.

My family…