The Rising

Gustav

I looked around, moving down the isle with my friend following close behind. I briefly looked at her from the corner of my eye. Even now she looked carefree. I never understood her, and I probably never would. That being said, her mood seemed to change every five seconds anyways. “Where are we going?” she asked me softly, unable to raise her voice to a louder octave. Normally she would have been screaming and laughing and shoving me into shelves. On any normal day we’d be glared at by the Wal-Mart employees. But today wasn’t just any normal day.

“Ve are goink somevere.” I answered honestly. I had no idea where we were going, actually. I continued on, without looking where I was going. Sadly, my foot caught on something and I toppled over, bringing a whole tower of cans down with me. “Scheiße.”

“Don’t make so much noise.” Alfreda hissed, and helped me to my feet. Her face had suddenly paled, and her eyes held fear and anger. She was mad at me, I could tell. She had every right to be though. What if they were here? What if they had gotten in?

I held up my hands as if to tell her to calm down. “Sorry, I vill look to see if anyone heard.” I told her and turned to peer down the isle. My eyes widened when I spotted two people-a girl and a boy. The boy, I presumed, to be at least twenty years old. I coughed, as if to cover up my nervousness and fear. “Are you two…?” I asked, not bothering to finish the sentence. The duo both shook their heads at the question, looking somewhat relieved that I wasn’t one of them either, and walked towards us.

Alfreda quickly appeared by my side, placing a hand on my shoulder, frowning slightly. “Is everything o-” she stopped short and narrowed her eyes at the girl. “Oh, wait, I know you! Don’t you go to my school?”

The other girl nodded her head. I took the chance to study the two. The girl had long brown hair ending at her elbows, and was short and skinny. The male was tall, muscular, and had short black hair. “Who are you two?” I demanded.

“I’m Justin, and this is my cousin Colette, you two?” The male of the duo asked.

I started to reply, but Alfreda beat me to it. “I’m Alfreda, and this is my friend Gustav.” she told the two, and watched as Justin walked over to the cans I knocked over and grab a can of raviolis.

I looked and found a bag of forks on the opposite shelf. I held it up in the air. “Ve hafe forks.” I announced. Justin thanked me and took a fork, and Colette did the same. I handed the bag of forks to Alfreda, and let her keep it. Alfreda, Colette, Justin, and I all took a seat on the floor. The other two ate while we swapped stories of why we were here.

“I don’t understand how bad meat caused all of zis.” I mused, cradling my chin in my hand as I picked at a piece of thread on my jeans. Who did understand any of this? Most didn’t have enough time to try and figure it out. They either had to prepare to fight for their lives, or get eaten or turned into a zombie and later shot by those who were fighting for their lives.

“Do you think it has spread far yet?” I heard Colette pipe up.

“Most likely.” Alfreda answered, opening a can of refried beans, and picking up a fork. Was I the only one who felt too sick to eat? What if something else had been infected? Even if all the food was safe, I wasn’t sure I could force down a single bite of food.

“I wonder if any famous people have been infected.” Colette wondered out loud. I looked up at her and snickered at the thought. It would be funny if one of those annoying teenage stars got infected. That would just be totally awesome. It would give me an excuse to shoot them if I saw them.

“I hope Rebecca Black is one of zem.” I spoke up finally, laughing at my own comment. However, I was dead serious.

“She is not famous though,” Justin pointed out, laughing. This caused Colette and Alfreda to laugh as well. Then there came a loud noise. I didn’t pay it any mind though. If there was real danger, someone would have spoken up. A few minutes later, a loud blaring went off. Was that a car alarm? Who would be stupid enough to break into a car now of all times? Didn’t they know noise would just attract more of them?

“Guys…” I said quietly, shifting my position so I was sitting on my knees. “We need a plan, and we need supplies. We might be here for awhile, but we can’t stay here forever. Whatever idiot broke into that car is going to be zombie food, and so will we unless we work together.”