The Rising

Alfreda

As soon as I spotted the first zombie lurching towards us, I took off running. I swung my bat at everything that moved as I did. Every time my bat made contact with the skull of a zombie, I heard a sickening crack echo in my head. I was sure if we all survived this I would never forget that sound.

I continued running until it hurt to breathe. I gasped for air, leaning against a tree trunk. It was quiet…too quiet. “Guys, what are we-?” I stopped my sentence short when I realized there was no one there.

“G-Guys? Come on, this isn’t funny!” I called, my gaze darting around me. A few minutes ticked by before I noticed the sun was starting to sink below the horizon. I didn’t have time to wait for my friends. I had to find a sufficient shelter. I knew that zombies were out in the day, but they seemed to be even more active at night, when it was harder to see.

I adjusted the straps of my backpack on my shoulders, attempting to make it more comfortable. I rested my bat against my shoulder and took a few timid steps forwards. I only wish I knew where we were. At least then I could have some comfort that I didn’t get us totally lost when I crashed the plane.

Granted, I doubted even knowing what state I had crashed landed us into would help. I had run in too many directions to know where I was going-if I was going anywhere. For all I knew there probably wasn’t a town or city for a hundred miles.

I just hoped that wasn’t true. I didn’t have a hundred miles worth of time to spare. I had to find a shelter soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The sun was almost down when I came across an old, run down log cabin. It looked like it came straight out of a horror movie. A horror movie…I felt a small smirk tug at the corners of my lips. This might as well be a horror movie.

Slowly, I approached the tiny house. It was windowless, as if whoever had built it was well aware there would be trouble in the near future and wanted to be able to lock the door and be safe when it arrived. I reached a hand out to turn the knob. To my surprise (and somewhat horror), it opened with ease.

The house was only one room, and contained only a few pieces of furniture- a tub full of water, an old and rusted footlocker, and a small cot. A movement behind the footlocker caught my attention. I raised my bat, and moved over to the trunk slowly, prepared to beat whatever was behind it.

It wasn’t a zombie, though. It appeared to be a young German spaniel-or a Deutscher Wachtelhund, as Gustav called them. The dog whined, raising his head to look at me. I noticed a piece of paper attached to his collar. I gently unattached it and opened the piece of paper.

‘To anyone who should find this,

If you find this letter after I’m gone and before my dog has become zombie food, please take good care of him. I’ve been bitten and I have about an hour before I change, so I’m going to kill myself before I do any harm to anyone.

The dog’s name is Jamie. He is a very friendly and obedient dog. I have trained him first as a hunting dog, then a guard dog, and third as a dog to aide anyone in surviving the apocalypse. I have left some food in the footlocker. It is nonperishable, so it should last you and Jamie for quite awhile.

Under the food are water bottles full of water should the tub run out before you die, my old hunting rifles, ammunition, and my journal up until this point. Read the journal if you ever need help with Jamie, survival tips, or just need someone to sympathize with. I think there are a few blank pages left, so fill them in if you wish.

Good luck,

Hannah Lewis’.

Jamie whined, pawing gently at my leg. I saw him looking in the direction of the door, which was still wide open. Quickly, I rushed over to the door and checked around outside before shutting and locking it. I pushed the old footlocker in front of the door for extra measure and sat down on it.

“Well then Jamie, I’m Alfreda.” I said, holding out my hand to coax the dog over. The dog sniffed my hand and licked it, resting his head on my lap.

“I guess it’s just you and me until we find the others…” I said softly. I really hoped the others were okay. I’d never forgive myself if they were dead-or worse, zombies. Jamie nudged his nose against my arm as if to console me.

“Good boy, Jamie.” I whispered, rubbing his head gently. “Good boy…”