The Rising

Justin

I sat on the floor by the bed with one of the cottage owners books in my lap. It was some book called “The Amber Spyglass” part of series called His Dark Materials. So far it has been very confusing, but that could be because this is the last back in the series and I never read/or heard of the first two. All I understand is that there is a war, two kids, a talking polar bears, angels and etc. The girl’s parents are bad, the boy’s father just was killed and something is wrong with his mother. It sounds sort of good described out loud but the actual reading…The knife the boy has sounds cool at least, it could cut through dimensions. If I had that I would leave this world and all the zombies behind.
I gave a small sigh as I put the book on the floor and stood up. I walked toward the window and looked outside to see the zombies still there. I felt like I coward just hiding here now. It’s not like I haven’t killed them before… that girl. The guilt came back and I felt miserable. I knew she was about to change but she will still alive at the time and I killed her. Then after that I deserted the others; and I am supposed to be the leader? I am such a horrible freaking leader…
I walked to the back and made sure that I had everything together. I even took the book with me just in case. I picked up all my stuff then went back to the front door. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes; I need to do this. It’s been over a day since I locked myself in this cottage and seen the others. I unlocked all three locks then took a few steps out of the door which is when they noticed a new person by the lake. They began to come over to attack me. I raised my bat in the air and as soon as they got close enough I swung. They both went down with a single blow. I looked down at their unmoving bodies and smiled at my achievement.
After a minute or so I walked over to the lake and sat down beside it. What if the water was contaminated? Wait can water be contaminated? I gave a small sigh and made a small cup using my hands and splashed water onto my face then stood up. I turned around and looked at the cottage then at the forest across from it. Where should I go? Stay put and be safe, or go off and look for the others? I closed my eyes and tried too calm myself down and choose.
Before I knew it I was heading off into the woods wandering around in no one direction hoping to see one of the others which I really doubt will happen. These woods are huge, the chance of seeing any of them again is highly doubtful. One of us would probably be attacked, bitten and turned by the time we meet again… and it is all my fault.
I kicked every rock as hard as I could as I walked. I crossed a few zombies but each time I saw one I would swing the bat at its head then continue walking. I never checked to see if they were fully dead, I was beginning to not care. If I got turned it would make no difference. I walked throughout the afternoon and into the sun rise not caring for my feet that were crying out in pain or my stomach which was calling out for food. I just continued to walk and bash zombies’ heads in until I saw it…
There was a clearing in the tree just ahead of me which seemed to almost glow, but that was probably my brain playing tricks on me. I walked toward it curiously and did not stop until I got to the edge. I quickly hid behind a tree trying not to make any noise at all. It was the most terrifying thing that I have ever seen in my life. A scene straight from a horror movie, something nobody could make up. I blinked my eyes a few times to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. It was a huge field completely saturated with zombies and littered with dead bodies. There were some dead human bodies mixed it with tons of animal bodies. None of the zombies noticed me, they were too distracted fighting each other for the dead rotting meat that surrounded them.
I noticed a body toward the edge of the clearing that looked familiar. It was a girl with long brown hair. I couldn’t see her face but could it be… Colette? Tears filled my eyes at the idea. She couldn’t be dead; she was the last family member I had. No… it can’t be her. I can’t even see the girls face, it could be some other girl. A voice in the back of my mind argued, it is her. Guilt began to settle in; my cousin is dead and it is all my fault. I am older and should have watched her. Now she is dead.
I need to get out of here. This is not a good place to be. I quickly backed up from the scene as silently as I could be and hit something. I looked up to see what I had hit…
It was a zombie…
I’m dead…